I had an interesting bit of conversation directed at me from a committee member after i suggested that the troop help offset attendance and/or travel costs for troop outings.

The committee member told me that scouting was my hobby and as such, that I should shoulder all costs involved, much the way a race fan supports his passion by buying all that stuff like shirts, decals, fan entry fees to racing (I am guessing this is a bit of money, but I have no idea as I do not know anything about car racing)

Now I have never view scouting as a hobby. rather i have viewed as a program that helps me fulfill my christian duties (mainline presbyterian, fyi), through guiding and mentoring young men through their formative years. To boot, it is more of a missionary thing, than a hobby. And no, i am not a preacing SM, but one who expects grace at a meal and a scouts own service on campouts, no evangilizing.

After that statement, i had a moment where I questioned myself and wondered if I am making scouting out to be more than it is. This was counter balanced by the comments by the boys: Thanks Mr. B, you really helped us achieve (insert a goal here). I initially got into scouting because i found myself with a bit of extra time, an enthusiastic son with some great friends and thought, well if my son and i are having fun, why not a couple of more... this has turned into many more over the years.

I can see where this interpretation would come from, as this committee member is well aware of the many different jobs i have served at over the years, but i have always viewed it as: Well it would be neat for my kid, why not his friends, and it evolved into, well the rest of the pack/troop would enjoy this and in the past, into well the scouts of the district would like this. Maybe I should also pass this onto the adult leaders of the council to share.....

My question after much rambling

How would you respond to the statement that scouting is only your hobby and therefore you should pick up the tab.

jbro...

Calling your participation a "hobby" seems to trivialize your hard work and dedication to scouting. I do however agree that scouters should cover their basic expenses. This question was recently brought before our troop committee. Our SM proposed that it was not fair that the SM and ASM should pay "out-of-pocket" for their camping and advanced training fees (ie wood badge).

We concidered the Troop covering the cost only for the Adults that were required for each activity, then the question came up about additional leaders that might still want to come. And then what about Adults that either show up late or leave early from the event.

We are trying to encourage our scouts to earn the money to pay there own way through fund raisers. Doesn't it seem contradictory for adults to have there fees covered by the troop.

I bet that most (if not all) scouters receive some direct benifit from the scouting program. I know that we're all here for the boys, but there are a lot of scouters out there that do it because they love it. (hobby or not) I would rather see our troops' funds paying for equipment than paying my way to camp.

CE

jbro...

Calling your participation a "hobby" seems to trivialize your hard work and dedication to scouting. I do however agree that scouters should cover their basic expenses. This question was recently brought before our troop committee. Our SM proposed that it was not fair that the SM and ASM should pay "out-of-pocket" for their camping and advanced training fees (ie wood badge).

We concidered the Troop covering the cost only for the Adults that were required for each activity, then the question came up about additional leaders that might still want to come. And then what about Adults that either show up late or leave early from the event.

We are trying to encourage our scouts to earn the money to pay there own way through fund raisers. Doesn't it seem contradictory for adults to have there fees covered by the troop.

I bet that most (if not all) scouters receive some direct benifit from the scouting program. I know that we're all here for the boys, but there are a lot of scouters out there that do it because they love it. (hobby or not) I would rather see our troops' funds paying for equipment than paying my way to camp.

CE

My parents were involved in Scouting, YMCA, Little League, School Board, PTA, school athletics, Band Parents, and active in our church. We were raised to believe that "each person is personally responsible for the quality of their community". Each of us took a different path to fulfill that responsibility, law enforcement, fire fighter, religious education, teacher, scouting. It is what we we taught we owed our community.

As far as who pays for what, that is a person by person, unit by unit, decision. If what your unit does or doesn't do works for you then do not worry about what different units do with their particular resources and needs.

I agree that everyone gets something out of scouting. I have never seen anyone be able to measure it or put a monetary value on it.

What exactly is the worth of a scoutmaster who is willing to give up time from his/her work, home and family in order to help your child grow up with the values of scouting while you go about doing the things you want to do?

Cave wrote: "We are trying to encourage our scouts to earn the money to pay there own way through fund raisers. Doesn't it seem contradictory for adults to have there fees covered by the troop."

Do you not think that it would be an important development in character for a scout to understand that not only is he helping his own effort, but also helping the adults who give so much time to allow them to have these opportunities

What about adding to the job description of the SM. No where does it state that the SM biggest requirement should be his wallet and is that the main basis of a what you look for in a SM?

The SM donates intangibles such as: a week of vacation for summer camp, quite a hefty sum. There are plenty of other examples of costs that come directly out a SM pocket, which I am sure other posters will add to.

Does only concentrating on the boys financial needs serve to elevate them over the adults? I mean that by putting the importance of "my son earned it" as being more important that the good of the whole troop tends to go against my interpretation of character and citizenship. It also tends to demean the effort of SM(s) of the extras' they put into the program. Going to RT, taking the training and the time training takes.

What about the worth of a SM efforts when fundraisers are conducted. does he/she not give his time in helping boys org or pull of a fundraiser? (A scoutmasters job description is to be present at all troop functions or to appoint a delegate in his stead)

Should there be parameters, you bet, but to shoulder the whole cost? I am guessing if that is the trend, recruiting new scoutmasters will be done through the Wall st. Journal or other financial publications.

I wouldn't mind reimbursement, I'd guess that driving to various events probably runs me $300 a year. However, it might bankrupt the troop or put a serious hurt on funding. Take my $300 and multiply that by the seven or eight adults who are always driving and we're talking serious money.

Scouting is a hobby in that we do it for enjoyment.

How you see your role in Scouting is very much up to you. If you can play this game by the rules and the CO is happy - You are not going to get any argument from me.

For myself I don't think that I'm as noble as you are. I have read and given a lot of thought to the Vision and mission of this great organization and looked at the values that it holds close to its heart and I found that both the organization and myself have a lot in common, and I am willing to do my bit to make the vision and mission a reality.

As for it being a hobby? There are activities that I do within the organization that I really enjoy mainly the outdoor stuff that I would do anyway. I happen to really like working with most of the people in this organization and like to think that I would and do go out of my way to help them.

Maybe the race analogy is not the greatest? I have friends that belong too and are very active in both the Wild Turkey Federation and Ducks Unlimited. These guys like to hunt and have a lot of money tied up in guns and hunting equipment. They also spend a lot of time working planting trees and other habit type stuff. They are very involved and serve at the Regional and National level. Needless to say the meetings are not on their doorstep, so they pay to travel, attend and stay at these meetings. They are also very active in raising money for these organizations. One of them is also very active in the youth program that the Wild Turkey Fed. While it might be wrong of me to try and speak for these guys. I would bet that they would much sooner be out hunting, then in a meeting trying to decide how to raise money for the organization especially when the meeting is 2,000 miles from home and they are spending $100.00 a night to stay in a hotel.

To these guys the cause that they support is near and dear to their hearts. They are willing to put their hand in their pocket because they believe in what they are doing. That is how I feel about Scouting.

Of course if someone needs help, we should be there to offer a helping hand and do what we can.

I do keep records of my expenses that I hand over to my accountant for tax purposes.

Eamonn

I was once involved in a Troop where the adults were "subsidized" by the boys. The SM insisted that he should not have to pay for food on campouts because he was donating his time. I didn't agree and saw nothing wrong with the adults paying the same as the boys.

There are extremes in the other direction as well. After spending over $70 last weekend on gas to transport boys to an out-of-council event, a little subsidy would have been nice!

For the Summer Camp expedition, my troop asks each Scout to give his drive $10 for gas. I always give it back to the Scout about halfway through camp when he needs money for the trading post. With the price of gas this year, I might just keep it. :)

Whitewater,

I think that everyone ought to pay their way.

If there were 7 people including the leader the cost should have been $10.00 a head.

However in my book it should not have just been the Scouts paying.

Of course that's just in my book.

Eamonn

Scouting is my hobby and I pay to play. Having said that our troop will buy the gas for the drivers on some of our longer trips. We also pay the registration for the leaders that attend summer camp. This is done on a case by case basis.

The only time we have ever provided reimbursement for expenses a scouter incurred was last year when we went Gettysburg and drivers drove over 1000 miles roundtrip. The cost of the trip included a charge for transportation that was split up among the drivers and it was applied to all who went, scouts and adults. In the past on shorter trips, drivers bore the entire cost of transportation.

My personal feeling is adult scouters should pay their own way with respect to personal expenses such as uniforms, training, food, event participation, etc. They should not be subsidized by the boys.

However, they should not be expected to subsidize the unit either. They should not have to shoulder the cost of Troop operations such as the total cost of transportation for everyone in the vehicle, or be expected to purchase troop equipment, food for others, etc. Expenses that are needed to operate the Troop should be born by the troop.

Just my 2 cents.

SA

FOG

I like your ideal about collected gas money and giving it to the boys when they run out at camp. Is Scouting my hobby - yeah I would have to say it is. However, I receive back far more than I ever put in. I no longer golf every weekend so the amount of money I spend on the Troop is less than if I was golfing...a win win for everyone.

I have one hobby that has interested me since the early '80's. I stumbled on a Boy Scout adventure book in an attic of a house that was about to be torn down. It was rat eaten and looked terrible but it caught my interest and imagination.

I began looking around for the next one and soon I was traveling far and wide, making friends by mail and by phone. I traded up and down and across. I found out about Scout Tradeorees and attended several over the years. I spent the night and paid for the lodging but never thought about it because it was the way to achieve my passion. The gasoline cost never entered my mind. I am not rich but I am richly interested.

The way I feel about Scouting is even stronger. I have learned more from the program than I could ever pay in to it. My time, effort and money are insignificant to the experiences that I have received. It is like being given the opportunity to stand on the top of a mountain and look into the distance for the first time. Other views cant compare.

I would never dream of anyone paying my way. It would be out of place and it would make me feel uncomfortable. Someone else might have a different perspective but that is mine.

FB