Hiroshima, kindness, and Communications MB

Joe Farina, 13, a member of Boy Scout Troop 74, read The Lowell Sun's story about Shigeaki Mori's Memorial Day visit to Lowel, MA to honor American POW's  killed in Hiroshima and  subsequently wrote reporter Alana Melanson for his Communications merit badge.

Mori was one of the subjects of the 2016 documentary "Paper Lanterns", which looked at the stories of Normand Brissette, of Lowell, Ralph Neal, of Kentucky, and the other 10 Americans lost in the bombing. Mori, a Japanese survivor, has dedicated his life to preserving their memory.

Joe wrote to the Sun reporter, "I do not believe that if a bomb was dropped on Massachusetts and it killed several family members and friends that I could be as forgiving and compassionate as Mr. Mori," Joe wrote. "My grandfather served in the Army and although he was never injured in battle I am happy to know that people like Mr. Mori are in this world."

The reporter shared Joe's thoughtful note with "Paper Lanterns" filmmaker Barry Frechette , who was happy to offer a private showing of the film  along with a Q&A session to Joe's and other troops camping at Camp Wah-Tut-Ca in Northwood, N.H this week.  Mr. Frechette also shared Joe's letter with Mr. Mori and the rest of the "Paper Lanterns" family.

Read more details at source:

http://www.lowellsun.com/news/ci_32003277/special-viewing-paper-lanterns-scouts