Membership Removal Procedures Booklet

Does anyone have a link to "Procedures for Maintaining Standards of Membership and Leadership" which is supposed to outline all the appropriate steps to remove someone's membership? I found a copy today and it's on my computer at work, but it seems to be a restricted item! Shouldn't we all have access to the documents that govern our organization?

Oh.  :(  I'd fully recommend working with your registrar, your district exec or a member of our district committee.  If you are dealing with a situation that needs detailed specifics and rules for removing a person, you need person-to-person advice.  

If you really want a document, I'd look at a few of the key documents open to everyone.  

BSA Rules and Regulations ... https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/membership/pdf/BSA_Rules_and_Regulations.pdf

BSA District Committee operation ... Tells you about the district committee and who does what ... https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/commissioner/pdf/34739.pdf

BSA Pack committee ... roles and responsibilities ... https://www.scouting.org/programs/cub-scouts/leaders/about/the-pack/pcomm/

I wish I could find more, but BSA has been changing their scouting.org web site.  It looks good for marketing, but it's unusable for dedicated volunteers who want to navigate quick to what they need.  It's good for the first time to show everything a novice might want to know exists.  It's lousy for finding exactly what you know exists and you need.  

It is an internal governance document for BSA staff.  Not everything the BSA has documents for are available or even should be available to volunteers.  This is one of those documents.

If you know of a volunteer that should be removed from Scouting, your role as a volunteer gives you only one option - report the person to the Scout Executive.  That's all you can do.  Volunteers do not remove people from Scouting.  Volunteers do not investigate people for removal from Scouting.  If you think someone should be removed from Scouting, then report it to your Scout Executive.  Your Scout Executive will investigate (if s/he doesn't, they will quickly find themselves out of a job) and then will report to National as the decision will be made at the National level to remove someone from the BSA.  You may not like the outcome if the Scout Executive finds that the actions of the volunteer does not meet the threshold for removal. 

If the issue turns out to center on personality clashes, you're right - the Scout Executive won't do anything - its really not their job to mediate differences between volunteers - that would fall to the Unit/District Commissioners, other volunteers.

I thought there might be something in The Chartered Organization Representative Guidebook, but it just says that Chartered Org. Reps. have the authority and responsibility to "hire and fire" - it doesn't have any information on the procedures to follow when doing so.

If you are the Chartered Org. Rep. then I would recommend talking to the council Registrar.  The Registrar should know the procedure.

36 minutes ago, CalicoPenn said:

It is an internal governance document for BSA staff.  Not everything the BSA has documents for are available or even should be available to volunteers.  This is one of those documents.

If you know of a volunteer that should be removed from Scouting, your role as a volunteer gives you only one option - report the person to the Scout Executive.  That's all you can do.  Volunteers do not remove people from Scouting.  Volunteers do not investigate people for removal from Scouting.  If you think someone should be removed from Scouting, then report it to your Scout Executive.  Your Scout Executive will investigate (if s/he doesn't, they will quickly find themselves out of a job) and then will report to National as the decision will be made at the National level to remove someone from the BSA.  You may not like the outcome if the Scout Executive finds that the actions of the volunteer does not meet the threshold for removal. 

If the issue turns out to center on personality clashes, you're right - the Scout Executive won't do anything - its really not their job to mediate differences between volunteers - that would fall to the Unit/District Commissioners, other volunteers.

Correct.  The SM of my troop informed me that he had contacted our Scout Executive about a volunteer that lived in our district but was registered in our neighbor district that name was in our local newspaper that had been charged with child abuse.  The SM called because it was his duty to report to the council that this volunteer had been arrested and charges had been filed against the volunteer.  The volunteer has been removed from the program by the Scout Executive.  The SM and myself really like this volunteer and knew him as an asset to the scouting program and hope that there is nothing behind the charges against this volunteer.  

Edited by ValleyBoy
2 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

I thought there might be something in The Chartered Organization Representative Guidebook, but it just says that Chartered Org. Reps. have the authority and responsibility to "hire and fire" - it doesn't have any information on the procedures to follow when doing so.

If you are the Chartered Org. Rep. then I would recommend talking to the council Registrar.  The Registrar should know the procedure.

Charter Organizations can drop you from their Charter, but that doesn't stop you from going to the next unit and signing up.

If you think the volunteer should be removed from Scouting, then it need to go through the Scout Executive and they will be blacklisted at National, and will be red flagged if they try turning in more applications through other districts and councils. 

Edited by scotteg83
2 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

Internally, I think the CO would just do whatever they do when terminating any other volunteer associated with their organization. The BSA does not impose specific procedures on the CO's for that.  Externally, it would be logical for the CO, having removed a volunteer, to direct the CC to write a letter to Council informing them that the person is no longer affiliated with the unit and should be removed from the charter.  (I don't think you get a refund though.)

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, scotteg83 said:

Charter Organizations can drop you from their Charter, but that doesn't stop you from going to the next unit and signing up.

If you think the volunteer that should be removed from Scouting, then it need to go through the Scout Executive and they will be blacklisted at National, and will be red flagged if they try turning in more applications through other districts and councils. 

Right.  I was thinking that the OP wanted to remove a Scouter from a unit.  Re-reading the original post, it looks like Zebra132 wants to revoke a Scouter's membership.  Not sure what the background is, but if there is some kind of YPT issue going on, then it should probably be reported to the Scout Executive and any unit(s) (Chartered Org. Reps.) that the Scouter might be associated with.

You do not say whether you are SM, CC COR or his parent so that you have skin in the game. 

If you are

- an ASM, go to your SM. 

- a member of the troop committee, go to your CC. 

- the COR, you have the authority to direct the SM and CC to explain the matter to you. 

- the parent, ask to sit down with the COR, CC, and SM.

- the UC or DE, visit with the COR.

- anyone else, sorry, I don’t see where you have a dog in this hunt. 

Is he being removed from the BSA altogether or is he being removed from a Unit.  If h is being removed from Scouting, then National will have reviewed the case file before blacklisting him.  If he is being removed from a unit, he can always go to another unit.

17 hours ago, ValleyBoy said:

The SM and myself really like this volunteer and knew him as an asset to the scouting program and hope that there is nothing behind the charges against this volunteer.  

Don't count on them being allowed to return if proven innocent. We had one very active Scouter who was removed based upon an accusation. Criminal investigation cleared her but she was not allowed to be reinstated. She was extremely active on the district and council level.