Tigers Can No Longer Shoot BB Guns.

Well, this is just sad.  Frustrating also.  I find it interesting that this is not in the main GTSS, either shooting sports manual, and was never mentioned when our camp was inspected this summer (June) and I had scouts from tiger to WEBELOS on the range.  I suppose at this rate, I'll have to ask for proof of citizenship before I let them on the range before long.

Is this really a problem that must be solved?  Has there been Tigers shooting themselves or others?  Now our local Cub Scout camps don’t allow Lions or Tigers (too young) so it won’t impact us much if any directly, but my biggest concern is this is now another new rule that someone will have to track and enforce.  If this wasn’t causing a problem then why add the rule. I have faith the range masters were able to make the call if a particular Tiger was too young or immature.  

It will be a problem for my area. We have several major events during the year that include Tigers, and now Lions, that have BB gun ranges.Because it is a free flow type event with no set times, just wait in line for your turn.  Because of the numbers, we cannot tell who is what level unless they are wearing their neckers. I already see problems with this rule being enforced.

On a different note, I am glad my youngest will be Crossing Over soon.

• Upvote 1

In our area, tigers (and lions now) have to have an adult with them at all times while at day camp/council wide events where there are shooting sports. So the responsible adult was always around to help the younger kid stay safe anyway. Seems like an unnecessary rule.

edit: Wait they're still offering the shooting sports award to tigers though?

Edited by malraux
  • Upvote 1

The last column is headed Older Scouts, Venturers and Sea Scouts, but, large bore, centerfire, and pistols are only venturing and sea scouts.  Does that mean 16 year old boy scouts can no longer take advantage of the shooting programs at the Summit? http://www.summitbsa.org/programs/national-high-adventure-base/focused-programs/the-marksman/

9 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

I wonder if this is a typo?  Tigers are still eligible for the Shooting Sports awards (including BB guns), which can only be done at council / district level events.

No typo. Shooting Sports Awards book was not updated when this policy came out. It is now in the process of being updated.

On a different note, it appears that troops, ships, and crews will no longer need council approval for the Multigun Airsoft Expereince. It is no longer showing it is no longer showing that approval is needed with the new guidelines.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

No typo. Shooting Sports Awards book was not updated when this policy came out. It is now in the process of being updated.

On a different note, it appears that troops, ships, and crews will no longer need council approval for the Multigun Airsoft Expereince. It is no longer showing it is no longer showing that approval is needed with the new guidelines.

What is the Multigun Airsoft Experience?

17 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Heads up, as of May 2018, Tuigers are no longer allowed to do BB Guns. Here si the document link https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/HealthSafety/pdf/680-685.pdf

Note this is not in the G2SS, but in a separate, 2 page document. Just found out today. Ticked off about this rule. 

It is actually an insert pull out of the printed GTSS and has been for over a decade.   It and the camping age appropriate guidelines were assigned separate BIN #’s.   That’s really the difference.    

All things shooting sports including MGA. https://www.scouting.org/outdoor-programs/shooting-sports/

Please let me know what B.B. guns you were using for tigers?   Mfg, make and model details needed.   

14 hours ago, RichardB said:

It is actually an insert pull out of the printed GTSS and has been for over a decade.   It and the camping age appropriate guidelines were assigned separate BIN #’s.   That’s really the difference.  

But it is not listed on the online version, which according to the print versions IS the most current version.Nor is it listed in the online PDF. 

14 hours ago, RichardB said:

Please let me know what B.B. guns you were using for tigers?   Mfg, make and model details needed.   

I will talk to my DE tonight, if he shows up to RT, and get the info today.

15 hours ago, mashmaster said:

What is the Multigun Airsoft Experience?

THIS https://www.scouting.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/multigun.pdf  Accoding to the manual, you need council approval to do the activity. But according to the new guidlines you do not.

No DE to night. But I went searching online. Daisy model 1938 is what we use for some of the rifles. We never have trouble with Tigers shooting because an adult partner is suppose to be with them at all times. I have always seen Tiger partners with their Tigers, and accompanied my sons when they were Tigers to shoot. Whenever I ran a course with Tigers, I always had their adult partner helping them. Only time I ever had trouble was with twins. We had to have them shoot one at a time, and not together.