Scout camping near EAA Airventure/Oshkosh

Does anyone have any suggestions for places for a Scout troop to camp within an hour of Oshkosh?   I know they have camping on-site, and have spent a few pleasant weeks there, but their shower facilities don't meet youth protection requirements for separation of youth from adults. 

Any suggestions and/or actual experiences of attending Oshkosh would be appreciated.  And if this is in the wrong sub-forum, let me know that as well.

Thanks,

Sam Midkiff

Welcome to scouter.com @SamMidkiff.  We have many members who can likely help you,

Note by prefixing an @ to a member name, a notification is sent.  I will now send a notification to some members who come to my mind who live or know Wisconsin or the  EAA.

@WisconsinMomma

@Eagle1993

@Cubmaster Pete

@LeCastor

@blw2

@meyerc13

• Thanks 1

Are you looking for a scout camp nearby? Most of them would be participating in summer camp activities and would not be able to have space for you.

Explorer Posts and Venturing Crews volunteer at the show, and they should fall under YPT regarding the showering questions (I do not know exactly) It appears they have their own camp they occupy during the show so that may solve the separate facility issue. I do not know if they could accommodate you or not but worth a shot. 

http://www.aviationexplorerbase.org/

• Thanks 1

High Cliff State Park, on the other side of Lake Winnebago from Oshkosh has 2 tent only group campsites and 6 "standard" (ie rv but tents can be used too) non-electric group campsites.  Could be booked for Airventure.

About an hour away, near Waupaca, is Hartman Creek State Park which has 5 standard group sites - each with a capacity of up to 50 people.

• Thanks 1

Hi, sorry...I'm not overly familiar with the area's camping.  I've camped at air venture, and understand that problem now that you mention it.  

I'd suggest contacting the EAA and asking if they have any way to help you.  I say this because if you can stay on site the experience is almost infinitely better.  the night programs, shows... being able to walk the grounds with no clouds and see the planes....the vintage area at dawn was striking to me... the yodeling wake up call (if they still do it)...it's just the whole experience..  they have a large youth program called young eagles, and they also run a lodge there...like a summer camp...so no doubt they understand the issue. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have an area carved out someplace for scouts and such...

That said, the only area I'm a little familiar with is Green Lake.  My brother in law's brother has a house there and we've stayed there a few times and attended air venture multiple days in a row, driving back and forth.  It's a nice little town.  Several evening activities through the summer...concerts in the park sorata thing, water ski shows, family oriented...grab an ice cream kind of things.  There's a little campground within walking distance of town...might be hard to get that weekend though...  I don't really know anything about the layout though...  Also a big conference center campus there like a huge park...something Christian I believe.  Have no idea if they offer camping or anything, but they might be a resource.

Good luck finding a place.  Hope it works out because it's a fun experience.

Thinking a bit differently, can you buy a camping shower? Or rent an RV with a shower in it? Not sure how many people there are but camping showers are cheap. Not elegant but a 3 minute navy shower is always a memory. I can also imagine that camping at oshkosh would be worth the difficulties.

I have a friend that camped under her wing. Now she's into sail planes so doesn't go to oshkosh.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, SamMidkiff said:

blw2, thanks for the suggestions.  I agree about on-site -- there's nothing like having morning coffee and breakfast and watching the ultralights taking a few early morning flights.  I'll check with EAA on this.

As a pilot, aero engineer, licensed aircraft mechanic, flight instructor, and one time EAA member, you touched my soul this morning. 

Barry

Edited by Eagledad
  • Thanks 1
On 8/9/2018 at 9:26 AM, SamMidkiff said:

blw2, thanks for the suggestions.  I agree about on-site -- there's nothing like having morning coffee and breakfast and watching the ultralights taking a few early morning flights.  I'll check with EAA on this.

....or sitting on the roof of my RV with my coffee watching the sunrise hot air balloon launch drift over the campground.... or later in the day sitting in that same spot with my favorite beverage and a snack, watching the Blue Angles pull a 6-8G turn just a few hundred feet directly over my head

those were both memories from my trip to Sun n Fun earlier this year, not Air Venture but close..... and would be even sweeter sitting around a camp site with friends

...now that I'm thinking about it, I've seen a few troops camping at Sun n Fun.  One was near to my RV spot this year...but I didn't take note of if they were getting around this issue... oh wait, never mind...that one was a cub pack / family camping.... but there was a troop there too someplace... I saw the scouts roaming about.

• Like 1

For future planning ..... how many scouts?   What a great idea for a troop.

I’ve only ever camped with the plane on field in the many years I’ve been going.  There is a campground about 3 miles south of the airport with a bus to/from airventure.  Some friends have stayed there in their rv, but you would need to call about a troop staying there.  I do remember seeing folks tent camping.  There is always camp Scholler which is right on site.