Who is minding the Baltimore Area Council office?

I find this so NOT funny.

During business hours at the Baltimore Area Council, all hands were in a business meeting behind a closed door. NO one was minding the store. Outside doors were unlocked and anyone could walk in...and did ... and for an hour ransacked offices while the meeting continued and council staff was none the wiser... security cameras recorded  the thief entering the front door and leaving with a cupcake

Manny Fonseca, Deputy Scout Executive/COO, explained that staff members were in a closed door meeting during the heist. He says offices were ransacked. The thief apparently also helped herself to some birthday cupcakes in the kitchen area.

Fonseca said: “Having security measures we have in place, we thought we were prepared and the building secure, and we need to re-evaluate that”.

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/thief-with-a-sweet-tooth-woman-targets-boy-scouts-offices

:blink: How about a high tech bell that rings when the front door is opened?

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Sad 1

Agreed, not funny at all. If the facts are as described, this person could have gained access to paper files, computer systems, and a whole lot more. On applications alone, there is someone's SSN, DOB, address, phone numbers, employer’s name, occupation - almost everything needed to steal an identity or commit fraud. The Council should be issuing an immediate apology and explanation to its volunteers and members on its failure to safeguard their information.

• Upvote 1

I call shenanigans - something just doesn't make any sense about this story at all - this is a single tenant building - just houses the BSA - it would be pretty odd for some random person off the street to park in a random office parking lot, enter the building, and then pretty calmly leave while "eating a cupcake".  Something is fishy about this whole story.

4 hours ago, CalicoPenn said:

I call shenanigans - something just doesn't make any sense about this story at all - this is a single tenant building - just houses the BSA - it would be pretty odd for some random person off the street to park in a random office parking lot, enter the building, and then pretty calmly leave while "eating a cupcake".  Something is fishy about this whole story.

It does seem strange.  To make it more strange, the video says the woman entered the building at 7:35 p.m. and left an hour later.  Were they really having a staff meeting at that hour?

Key phrase that jumps out is "closed door meeting."  Probably an "all hands on deck" type of meeting with execs and support staff.   Everyone crowded in the briefing room for a long rehash of who knows what.   Meeting went far too long...no one posted out front to greet customers...staff forgot to lock doors after meeting went long...Cup Cake Lady sees the light on...etc.

Weird.  A woman chatting on a cell phone, having no idea what might be going on inside an office calmly walks in and for no discernible reason trashes some offices and walks out with a cupcake --- there's something more to this.

10 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

Weird.  A woman chatting on a cell phone, having no idea what might be going on inside an office calmly walks in and for no discernible reason trashes some offices and walks out with a cupcake --- there's something more to this.

Well,  the council HQ is right across from Druid Hill, a section of Baltimore that has more than its fair share of drug use, and if you have never been to " Balmer" I can assure you that's saying something.

1 hour ago, RememberSchiff said:

Maybe the all-hands-on-deck, closed door meeting was about their SE leaving for another council SE job?

https://briansteger.org/

Maybe more than building security needs to be re-evaluated?

From said website:

From "Highlights" tab:

" Renovated the conference room, adding overhead projectors and sound...." [With everyone in the conference room, no one could hear the front door open]

"Council earned Baltimore Sun’s Top 100 Places to Work recognition" [No doubt those cupcakes sealed the deal! :) ]

Edited by desertrat77
18 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

My hunch:  she stopped in for one reason--perhaps to use the restroom, for example--and sized things up right away.  Lights on, no one around, nothing locked up.  Target of opportunity.

42 minutes ago, desertrat77 said:

My hunch:  she stopped in for one reason--perhaps to use the restroom, for example--and sized things up right away.  Lights on, no one around, nothing locked up.  Target of opportunity.

And finding nothing of value, "offices were ransacked".  I wonder about the damage done.

I don't understand the SE creating an unsecured website with that info either.

Edited by RememberSchiff