Miscellaneous Uniform Gripes

We had a patrol last year that made a patrol flag that was a triangle on top of a square mounted to a stick.  It was all white and when we first say it, all of the adults immediately thought it looked like a kkk cape?  We had the quickly work with the patrol leader to change the color and shape some before going to camporee the next week.  They were completely oblivious to what it looked like.    Sometimes, adult leadership is needed to coach them a little 🙂

3 minutes ago, Oldscout448 said:

Actually I find it quite encouraging that they didn't know what it was.

The faster the KKK and like minded groups fade into obscurity and disrepute the happier I will be.

Agreed, we were very happy they had no idea but it was one of those items that was a teaching moment.

2 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

One thing I heard about was solid colored shirts. each prinicpal ceremonialist would have a corresponding colored shirt that symbolizes something.

There is an excellent unofficial ceremonies guide that assigns each of the principles a color, a wind, an element, a season, a time, a realm, a challenge, a  tradition, and a few more I can't bring to mind. Other that one reference, I dont see how colored shirts have any symbolic meaning. 

As long as we are rooting out cultural appropriation in the BSA, will National and the Woodbadge Junta do away with kilts?  As someone who has Scottish background, maybe I'm offended....

1 hour ago, Jameson76 said:

As long as we are rooting out cultural appropriation in the BSA, will National and the Woodbadge Junta do away with kilts?  As someone who has Scottish background, maybe I'm offended....

Let’s get a petition going to ban coffee at all BSA functions! It has a long and sordid history of cultural appropriation. 

10 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

As one who also has some Scottish in my hereditary line, may I say it's the knobby knees that I find most offensive 😁

11 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

National is already cracking down on kilts at Wood Badge, as they are not official uniform. I was able to wear my kilt on "Diversity Day" and a Santa hat on "Christmas in July". But staff really should be setting the example, so the kilt gets less use. 

Just now, RememberSchiff said:

I thought the same about the scout neckerchief - an international scout thing yet no longer required as part of the uniform here..

Hello it may not be required here. But BSA has moved to allow it without the field uniform, which matches International scouting better.

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, MattR said:

Regalia can also mean ceremonial clothing.

It's also part of the title of a Frank Zappa song, "Peaches en Regalia," but we'll probably never know what he meant by it, since it's an instrumental and he gave mostly random titles to his instrumentals.