New Kayak and Boating Requirements?

Regarding lifeguards,  while having a certified lifeguard is AWESOME, the current lifeguard courses focus on pools and not lakes and rivers. You need to take an additional course on that if memory serves. BSA Aquatics Supervision Courses, both  Safe Swimming and Paddle Sports would be better courses as they focus on lakes and rivers.

SSD use to mention being able to use older Scouts with Lifesaving MB.

Just curious, since this is a pack camping experience, has someone in the pack taken BALOO?  Camping on a island?   Has the council reviewed this location as appropriate for your campout?   It would seem that would be a little bit outside the box for the Cub Program.   Big difference between what you may have experienced in Scouting and the actual Cub Scout program of today.   These are not new requirements, they have been around for over 80 years.  https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/HealthSafety/pdf/680-055(17)_Aquatics_WEB.pdf

11 minutes ago, RichardB said:

Just curious, since this is a pack camping experience, has someone in the pack taken BALOO?  Camping on a island?   Has the council reviewed this location as appropriate for your campout?   It would seem that would be a little bit outside the box for the Cub Program.   Big difference between what you may have experienced in Scouting and the actual Cub Scout program of today.   These are not new requirements, they have been around for over 80 years.  https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/HealthSafety/pdf/680-055(17)_Aquatics_WEB.pdf

Sadly, not every council has a list of approved camp grounds for Cubs. Some councils still have folks who believe "Cubs don't need to camp" on their camping committees. That's my council.  My pack only goes to places listed in the OA's Where to Go Camping book since that is the closest thing to council approved locations.

I've been told some councils only approved their own camps for packs to camp in.

FYI prior to May 2015, Cub Scout packs and dens were not allowed to do boating activities. Cubs were only allowed to do boating at district/council run events. I had a discussion with my SE about why Packs could not take advantage of the boat rentals at the local Scout camp. Also commented how the new boating adventures could only be done at the district/council level. Thankfully that policy changed. It's only 3 years old, not 80.

• Upvote 1