Question out of curiosity... do troops, packs etc in the states tend to have mascots? A few groups over here have one and I just wondered whether it happened elsewhere?

My lot have Dafydd the dragon, photo from summer camp here. He's well loved and is at his most popular with home sick cubs although the scouts like him as well (who tend to be a bit rougher with him, he's a bit scared of the PLs)

Anyone got anything similar?

I have a bag I bring with to summer camp that contains "decorations" for around my tent.  Every day I put another one out.  Slowly over the week, these decorations are appropriated by some of the more brave scouts and I find them in front of their tents.  Not really mascots.  More just fun silliness.

Our little group has a 16" tall  Buzz Lightyear that is carried about and is always the centerpiece on our table at meals,  and salutes smartly at every flag ceremony

I am not sure how the tradition started, he has been around for years.   

To infinity  and beyond  !

Edited by Oldscout448

Our SM has a wall clock in a wood box with glass front that he straps to a tree in the middle of camp. Not exactly a mascot, but boys were asking "What time is it?" so often, it was as if they conjured it themselves.

Edited by qwazse

My Webelos Den is officially named "Ye Merry Archers" (although in the modern vernacular they are too often called The Merry Archers by other leaders, which is incorrect, but I digress). Our patches and flag have embroidered onto them an archer who is very obviously Robin Hood, but while I certainly do use his stories and legends often in our meetings, he is not our "official" mascot - we keep it just generic enough so that the boys can imagine themselves as being one of his Merry Men, making the stories and morals therein more generally applicable. 

As they grow older, they will eventually join the Savage Viking Patrol as new Scouts, and then eventually the Knights of Light. Again, while these patrols do have characters on their materials, they don't have specific names or identities. I like for my boys to view themselves as mascots, representing all the best in Scouting to our community and to the world. The various emblems of Archer, Viking and Knight merely give them historical peoples to which they can relate their Scouting experiences.

16 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

My Webelos Den is officially named "Ye Merry Archers" (although in the modern vernacular they are too often called The Merry Archers by other leaders, which is incorrect, but I digress).

Sorry to correct your correction but The Merry Archers would be the proper way to pronounce it. The Y in Ye isn't a Y but an alternative form of Þ (thorn), which makes the th sound. 

Unless of course you actually want to be All Y'all Merry Archers; in which case, Ye Merry Archers would be correct. :)

18 hours ago, Saltface said:

Sorry to correct your correction but The Merry Archers would be the proper way to pronounce it. The Y in Ye isn't a Y but an alternative form of Þ (thorn), which makes the th sound. 

Unless of course you actually want to be All Y'all Merry Archers; in which case, Ye Merry Archers would be correct. :)

All y'all mighty happy toxophilites?

Edited by qwazse
  • 2 weeks later...