Wood badge is being updated with pilot courses this year and next year to be fully implemented in 2020 or so.

Who has information about what is being changed? So far my information states that the following are changing.

• The game "Win all you can" aka "the Game of Life" is going away
  • The movie October Sky is also being replaced. Does anyone no what movie will replace it?
  •  

What do other people know?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Day 2 http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:JgtNAs9TdJAJ:centennialwoodbadge.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Gilwell-Gazette-BSA-18-2-Day-1-Final.pdf Day 4 https://docplayer.net/846

I'm staffing one of the pilot courses and getting ready for our final staff development weekend in a week.  What I can say is that, yes, changes have been made and they are certainly for the better. 

I sent a couple of folks to the Philmont pilot this spring.  Since they had not been to WB before, they had nothing to compare with.  Between conversations with them and other things Ive seen/read....

14 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

Anybody know if those of us who completed WB21century will need to do this updated course? 

More than likely yes. They will either need to take a bridge course in order to staff the new one, or redo WB. Just like the old course participants.

15 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

Anybody know if those of us who completed WB21century will need to do this updated course? 

Not likely if the changes are program pieces like a game and movie.

Those of us who were WB trained previous to the WB21 theoretically had to start over, but I was one of the few they grabbed for a WB21 staff when nobody was trained. I don't know if I was the chicken or the egg.:o

Barry

I sent a couple of folks to the Philmont pilot this spring.  Since they had not been to WB before, they had nothing to compare with.  Between conversations with them and other things Ive seen/read.... We know the Win All You Can is gone.  I had heard that the movie was gone and not replaced.  I had also heard that the patrol project was gone.  And finally, that they were dropping an entire day from the course.

In searching just now to see if I could confirm any of these, I ran across this page which has the Gilwell Gazettes from the Philmont pilot:

http://centennialwoodbadge.com/philmont-scout-ranch-pilot/resources/

Notice right away that there are only 5 gazettes.  Much of the content is the same as we all use but the daily schedules give some insight to what the new course has or doesnt have.  I noticed some new/different presentation names.  I especially noticed one called "Patrol Leadership Quest" on D4 and "Patrol Leadership Quest Presentations" on D5.  Has the patrol project been replaced with something more like NYLT's quest?

• Upvote 2

@jjlash thanks. That is great information.

But just a quick glance I saw following 

• Blue and gold banquet moved from lunch to dinner on first day
  •  listening to learn presentation moved from day 1 to day 2
  • Some things are Philmont specific like touring different areas. So that may change or the actual course
  • Looks like outdoor Experience may be reduced. They were at Rocky Mountain Scout camp on day 4 but looks like that was the only time.
  • Confused 1

@jjlash thanks. That is great information.

But just a quick glance I saw following 

• Blue and gold banquet moved from lunch to dinner on first day
  •  listening to learn presentation moved from day 1 to day 2
  • Some things are Philmont specific like touring different areas. So that may change or the actual course
  • Looks like outdoor Experience may be reduced. They were at Rocky Mountain Scout camp on day 4 but looks like that was the only time.
  • I am not sure if the actual course will be 5 or 6 days. The Florida sea Base course appears to have been 6 days. It is possible that Philmont shortened theirs to 5 days due to Easter.

As for having to retake Wood Badge, everything I have heard indicates NO.  The course is an update, not a significant reworking like WB21

On 7/31/2018 at 9:40 AM, Eagledad said:

Not likely if the changes are program pieces like a game and movie.

Those of us who were WB trained previous to the WB21 theoretically had to start over, but I was one of the few they grabbed for a WB21 staff when nobody was trained. I don't know if I was the chicken or the egg.:o

Barry

Feather.  😂

I'm staffing one of the pilot courses and getting ready for our final staff development weekend in a week.  What I can say is that, yes, changes have been made and they are certainly for the better.  Folks will notice updated material (think current management and leadership techniques) as well as a combining of material that may have seemed redundant to participants.  It indeed has been shortened if using the two weekend format, by one day.  As others have noted, certain parts of the course have been shuffled in hopes that the flow is better.

I believe I saw someone ask about the Patrol Project.  It has indeed been turned into the Patrol Leadership Quest.  This will actually happen within the course in hopes of eliminating a bunch of interim work.  We will see how this one goes.  I, personally liked the project and I suppose change is also good.

Lastly, Tools of the Trade is a new part of the course.  Think of a physical object that helps tie the various subjects together.  Things that can actually go in your tool box.  These are talked about in every presentation (each major presentation has one) and then recycled or rehashed at the very end ( I believe there are a dozen or so).

The whole point of the pilot courses is to provide feedback to National for additional adjustments and/ or changes prior to the adoption by all in 2020ish.  I can tell you that the syllabus is still living and breathing.  Most has been finalized, but it is still being tweaked.

Wish us luck!

• Thanks 3
4 hours ago, C7Scouter said:

Folks will notice updated material (think current management and leadership techniques) as well as a combining of material that may have seemed redundant to participants.  It

Lastly, Tools of the Trade is a new part of the course.  Think of a physical object that helps tie the various subjects together.  Things that can actually go in your tool box.  These are talked about in every presentation (each major presentation has one) and then recycled or rehashed at the very end ( I believe there are a dozen or so).

To the first point:  MANAGEMENT!?!?!?!?????  AYFSM???????????

Wood Badge is first for unit serving leaders, not district and council committee volunteers. Leadership and MENTORSHIP are the academic skill sets needed at that level, unless we are going to integrate metric management as a method of the programs. 

WRT the toolbox, I hope someone who is a truly competent educator looks at the slide decks in the briefing books, and looks at them for readability. That was my biggest gripe about my course.... (Sarc-cynical)after lose all you want. (/Sarc-cynical)

1 hour ago, John-in-KC said:

Wood Badge is first for unit serving leaders, not district and council committee volunteers. Leadership and MENTORSHIP are the academic skill sets needed at that level, unless we are

It doesnt change your point, but WB is for all levels.  Leadership and Mentoring skills are needed at every level of Scouting (and most every other organization).  District and Council level volunteers (and professionals too) face the same challenges that unit leaders face:  they need to build teams and get people working together to accomplish goals and complete projects.

I agree with your feeling about the word "management" however I would not take offense unless it actually shows up in the syllabus and staff guide.  Otherwise I chalk it up to @C7Scouterchoice of words rather than an official description.

7 hours ago, C7Scouter said:

I'm staffing one of the pilot courses and getting ready for our final staff development weekend in a week.  What I can say is that, yes, changes have been made and they are certainly for the better.  Folks will notice updated material (think current management and leadership techniques) as well as a combining of material that may have seemed redundant to participants.  It indeed has been shortened if using the two weekend format, by one day.  As others have noted, certain parts of the course have been shuffled in hopes that the flow is better.

I believe I saw someone ask about the Patrol Project.  It has indeed been turned into the Patrol Leadership Quest.  This will actually happen within the course in hopes of eliminating a bunch of interim work.  We will see how this one goes.  I, personally liked the project and I suppose change is also good.

The whole point of the pilot courses is to provide feedback to National for additional adjustments and/ or changes prior to the adoption by all in 2020ish.  I can tell you that the syllabus is still living and breathing.  Most has been finalized, but it is still being tweaked.

Wish us luck!

Which Day is removed??? This might help us in a few areas. 

@C7Scouter please keep us posted on how things go and what other changes there are. And good luck. 

Just out of curiosity, where is your course? (council/state) and when will it be held????

Sorry folks, poor choice of words there. Leadership as well as coaching/ mentoring is a much better descriptor.  That’s what I get for not proofing my post. Didn’t mean to get folks riled up. The main goals of the course have not changed a bit.

Regarding the one less day; it’s not so much an actual day, as content that roughly equals a day. The goal was to take out items that participants found little value in. So, it is mostly made up of items noted above combined with no longer needing the meals and Gilwell ceremonies for the “extra” day. I hope that makes sense. Once things are set in stone, it will be easier to talk about.

It’s very interesting staffing with a syllabus in so much flux. Our course kicks off in roughly 3 weeks and there were minor changes just a couple of weeks ago. Semper Gumby I guess!

I’m part of Three Fires Council, Western burbs of Chicago. 

• Upvote 1