Summer Camp Merit Badge Questions

Although it is the unit leader’s responsibility to see that at least one merit badge counselor is identified from those approved and made available, the Scout may have one in mind with whom he would like to work. The unit leader and Scout should come to agreement as to who the counselor will be. Lacking agreement, the Scout must be allowed to work with the counselor of his choice, so long as the counselor is registered and has been approved by the council advancement committee. However, see “Counselor Approvals and Limitations,” 7.0.1.4, for circumstances when a unit leader may place limits on the number of merit badges that may be earned from one counselor.”

https://www.scouting.org/resources/guide-to-advancement/the-merit-badge-program/

On 7/27/2018 at 10:13 PM, fred johnson said:

If the scout has anywhere near 20 nights camping, the scout has helped a patrol setup a duty roster, create a menu plan, deal with gear, etc.  It's part of scout camping.

True. To be perfectly honest, I just recommend my Scouts start the Camping MB when they join the troop (I’m also registered as the counselor). They earn it piecemeal within two years. 

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, Saltface said:

True. To be perfectly honest, I just recommend my Scouts start the Camping MB when they join the troop (I’m also registered as the counselor). They earn it piecemeal within two years. 

Sounds right.  

@robhixkg, thanks for taking the BS out of BSA!

Broadly speaking, use these things as opportunities to milk the most out of the advancement method:

• For your next weekend campout, challenge the boys to use the menus and rosters that they prepared at summer camp. In after action review, ask them what went well, what didn't go so well, and what they'd do differently. Later, in an SM minute, tell them that you weren't trying to make sure they did the requirement. You were helping them excersize the same disciplines they will need to propose, plan, and execute an Eagle project, or any other project. Then ask them of the badges they earned at camp, what would they like to do as a troop for a future camping weekend.
  •  For camping nights, pass out blank pieces of paper, as scouts to write down the locations of every campout that they went on since crossing over. Some scouts might already have this in a diary in a handbook. Give those ones a piece of candy, then challenge them to draw or write a favorite memory. The ones who completed camping should be able rattle off summer camp and 7-14 other weekends or 3-day trips. (Remind them that this isn't school and you're not checking spelling and their artwork won't be graded.) They should have some pretty good stories to tell. Ask if they want to do any of those campouts again. Later, tell them that this excersize was not just about checking advancement, but about taking a moment to reflect on your scouting experience. Reflection is a life-skill that can help you throu tough times.

Don't just make advancement about bean-counting. Make it about something bigger than the requirements or those round pieces of cloth.

True story.

We are a multi-generational Scouting family. A cousin of ours attended his first Boy Scout camp this summer. During a recent family gathering, he bragged about "earning" 15 merit badges in one week. Everyone in the room just sat in silence and refused to offer the praise this boy was expecting. Boys should not be punished for the mistakes of adults, but I wish something could be done to stop the mockery of these merit badge mills. I am disappointed and disgusted that such camps continue to exist in BSA.