NATIONAL POLICY: AOL and Crossover Ceremonies

58 minutes ago, HashTagScouts said:

My son is thinking of running as VC of Inductions for next year, just to put these scripts out of their misery.  

Sadly, the 63 old fogeys (60 Scouters and 3 Professionals) of the National OA COmmittee seem to be ignoring the youth as every single youth I have talked to HATED the new scripts (caps, bold, etc for emphasis). And if you are doing these ceremonies as the OA national requires you to use their new skits ceremonies. My chapter will no longer do those ceremonies.

22 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

I understand the directive to no longer have Native American references. 

Given how ridiculous the new script is, I'd be inclined to write my own.  I'd follow the sprit of the rule, but not the letter.  Has anyone with an OA ceremony team here tried writing their own script that does not use Native American references? 

Correct National OA Committee no longer wants Native American references in the OA AOL and Cross Over Ceremonies. Still allowed for the rest of the ceremonies. HOWEVER many noted the absence of Native American ceremonies at the last NOAC shows. In fact the only reference to Native American culture was the AIA powwow and show. One of the challenges is that the OA has used NA images and references since 1915.   And when it is done properly it is a thing of beauty that inspires and motivates.

I had a troop working on Indian Lore borrow my regalia and did one of the old scripts, leaving out references to OA. You could literally hear a pin drop at the meeting because everyone was interested in the "Indians." Try keeping Lions and Tigers quiet and paying attention for 20-30 minutes!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recall a simple ceremony...on a very hot night in an un-airconditioned meeting room at Howard Air Force Base, Panama.  The MC said a few words.  Three of us lined up on one side of a wooden bri

As a youth ceremonialist, I throughly enjoyed conducting Cub AOL and crossover ceremonies.  The regalia was neat, but as others have said, to me it was just a tool that we used to help achieve our aim

Frankly, I am disappointed about not being able to use regailia for Arrow of Light ceremonies and probably more in the future.  But to me that isn't the purpose and reason we are in OA.  It is a tool

Posted Images

@Eagle94-A1 exactly correct.  They are so disinteresting.  My son had asked in the fall why the Chapters were still expected to do these scripts skits.  He and another Chapter Chief wanted to write a new, non-NA themed script, and the inductions adviser got huffy that they were even suggesting it.  I think my son wants to be VC to just end the Lodge offering the service altogether.

13 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

...National OA Committee no longer wants Native American references in the OA AOL and Cross Over Ceremonies. Still allowed for the rest of the ceremonies. HOWEVER many noted the absence of Native American ceremonies at the last NOAC shows...

Definitely seems like the beginning of the end for NA ceremonies all around. A phased-out approach.

26 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I had a troop working on Indian Lore borrow my regalia and did one of the old scripts, leaving out references to OA. You could literally hear a pin drop at the meeting because everyone was interested in the "Indians." Try keeping Lions and Tigers quiet and paying attention for 20-30 minutes!

I'm convinced there is a way to maintain that same allure without the NA references. Plenty of groups already do this, although sometimes in ways that are far from scout-friendly (think secret societies). What is often so interesting about these kinds of things isn't their accurate depictions of cultural references. It's the ceremony itself, the unique presentation, the costumes/regalia, etc., which often times are unique to the group itself. Some were derived from rituals and/or regalia of other cultures, but they often bear little resemblance to them anymore after evolving over time.

I know it's kind of a weird comparison, but I mention it here if only to suggest that if it has worked elsewhere, it might work here. I'm convinced that the OA could create symbolism, ceremony, and regalia unique to itself. It wouldn't be easy, and it would require some serious creativity on the part of many members to develop materials, but it's possible.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, FireStone said:

I'm convinced there is a way to maintain that same allure without the NA references. Plenty of groups already do this, although sometimes in ways that are far from scout-friendly (think secret societies). What is often so interesting about these kinds of things isn't their accurate depictions of cultural references. It's the ceremony itself, the unique presentation, the costumes/regalia, etc., which often times are unique to the group itself. Some were derived from rituals and/or regalia of other cultures, but they often bear little resemblance to them anymore after evolving over time.

I know it's kind of a weird comparison, but I mention it here if only to suggest that if it has worked elsewhere, it might work here. I'm convinced that the OA could create symbolism, ceremony, and regalia unique to itself. It wouldn't be easy, and it would require some serious creativity on the part of many members to develop materials, but it's possible.

That's what I'm thinking.  Create a ceremony that doesn't include the NA references.  

You could even take a script from one of the existing ceremonies and rework it so that it's done in a way that doesn't make the NA references.

Regarding the Arrow of Light ceremonies, I think the packs around here just used the same ceremonies that they have used for years.  While the OA lodge said that the new script (skit?) was available, there was no push to use it.

Packs did their ceremony.

Arrowmen shot arrows in uniform with sash.

Boys were happy. Parents were happy. OA helped out.

If Den leaders were somehow forced to use the new script, then there is no role for the OA, and the thing would be done in ten minutes.

5 hours ago, FireStone said:

I'm convinced there is a way to maintain that same allure without the NA references.

The OA is already signaling a return to the original ceremonies.  Weren't there principles in the black robes at NOAC?  This is one of a few items in the trading post referencing the original three tests,   https://tradingpost.oa-bsa.org/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2018-E-003.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, HashTagScouts said:

@Eagle94-A1 exactly correct.  They are so disinteresting.  My son had asked in the fall why the Chapters were still expected to do these scripts skits.  He and another Chapter Chief wanted to write a new, non-NA themed script, and the inductions adviser got huffy that they were even suggesting it.  I think my son wants to be VC to just end the Lodge offering the service altogether.

The scouts hereabouts read the new ceremonies   skits,  and proclaimed there was no way they were about to do them.   If a pack want to write its own ceremony, fine they will do that.   If the pack requests the ceremony that the OA used to do, these young men will oblige.    Without sashes, uniforms, or any mention of the Order.  They ask for no money, no fame, they do it on their own time, driving their own cars,  using their own stuff, just so the cubs will have the ceremony they have waited and worked for since they were Bobcats. I have no authority to forbid them to do so, i'm not their parents. In fact I am rather proud of them, I think this qualifies as " cheerful  service"  be it with or without a sash.

IMO the huffy inductions adviser needs to be asked who is more important here.   The ivory towered self proclaimed judges of what is acceptable to wear, say, and do?   or the scouts?

Edited by Oldscout448
  • Upvote 2