NATIONAL POLICY: AOL and Crossover Ceremonies

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recall a simple ceremony...on a very hot night in an un-airconditioned meeting room at Howard Air Force Base, Panama.  The MC said a few words.  Three of us lined up on one side of a wooden bri

As a youth ceremonialist, I throughly enjoyed conducting Cub AOL and crossover ceremonies.  The regalia was neat, but as others have said, to me it was just a tool that we used to help achieve our aim

Frankly, I am disappointed about not being able to use regailia for Arrow of Light ceremonies and probably more in the future.  But to me that isn't the purpose and reason we are in OA.  It is a tool

Posted Images

The AOL is a Cub Scout award;  our Pack, and the Packs in the area present the award with an appropriate ceremony.  Crossover is considered a troop function and performed by the troops.  Our troop conducts the crossover at a troop meeting.  Some Packs have multiple troops attend a Pack meeting to have the cubs crossover to the respective troop they're joning.

4 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

I am curious, how would you answer your own question?

I'll take a stab at it...

On 7/26/2018 at 10:01 PM, qwazse said:

Why should a youth bother with O/A if they can't get a deeper understanding about what we admire the most from the native American mystique?

Looking at antecedents OA borrowed from, why would an adult join a service organization without the Masons'  "mystical" mumbo jumbo? And yet, Rotary and Kiwanis and Jaycees etc seem to do OK. Ignoring solely adult concerns like the grail and networking and business opportunities, the 2 factors youth and adults are looking for in a group are the chance to do meaningful stuff and the opportunity to associate with others they find admirable.

So for OA... The ceremony teams are one opportunity to do both meaningful stuff and be admired. But is that really the best example of either OA's or Scouts' mission. I'm not sure. The uniform method is about being a visible force for good in the community not impressing folks for its own sake. Despite its tradition as a quasi-religious secret society, I don't see much about that aspect of the OA in either the aims or the methods.

On the other hand the new formulation of OA as a camping/service honor society has lots of untapped potential. Why hide your light under a bushel, only displaying it for ceremonies and helping out at camporees and camp maintenance. These are Scouting's best, let them help more widely. I happen to think the quintessential OA experience isn't ceremony team but rather trail crew. That seems to be a more public facing role for Scouting's best. Let OA take that ethos of service and bring it to the wider scouting community and the general public. For instance have OA lead a Scout's wide conservation service day, on say Teddy Roosevelt;s birthday in October. Scouts want to emulate older role models. Let OA members demonstrate this in a very public way.If Cubs see these Scouts leading on a yearly basis, they will be suitably impressed if these Scouts come in a regular uniform to give them a  charge at Crossing Over.

My wife and 9yo son are going up to volunteer at a trail race tomorrow. I'm getting 11yo son off to camp. We volunteer with various trail crews on the SHT. We have plenty of friends who do similar work. The combination of supporting something you love and working with people you like is way more powerful than some borrowed mythology.

Edited by oldbuzzard
ETA Changed TR's B'Day from Sept to Oct
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

The AOL is a Cub Scout award;  our Pack, and the Packs in the area present the award with an appropriate ceremony.  Crossover is considered a troop function and performed by the troops.  Our troop conducts the crossover at a troop meeting.  Some Packs have multiple troops attend a Pack meeting to have the cubs crossover to the respective troop they're joning.

Not necessarily.  In our area, most Packs have the crossover at Blue and Gold, and yes the troop(s) send representatives, but the night is the Packs to plan.  

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, HashTagScouts said:

Not necessarily.  In our area, most Packs have the crossover at Blue and Gold, and yes the troop(s) send representatives, but the night is the Packs to plan.  

Same here, although it isn’t linked to Blue and Gold.  

Obviously the Crossover/AOL joint ceremony isn’t as common as I thought.  However, I do think that it’s common enough that having the option of joining the scripts into one cohesive ceremony would be nice.

Different areas have different traditions. Even within the same pack, things may be done differently than in the past. My pack has no set ceremony. We've attempted to use the OA the past few years, but the chapter is dying out, and have had no success the past 3 years. So we have used non-OA ceremonies. The pack also did AOL and Crossover as the Webelos earned it. They had 3 to 4 ceremonies in a year. It got a bit too much, and they went to one night for both ceremonies. 

And I've seen Webelos receive their AOL, but not continue on in Boy Scouts. Some Webelos do not do the Cross Over Ceremony. We had to many doing the ceremony and receiving the troop necker and never seeing them after that night. We remove their Webelos neckerchief, and tell them they will receive their troop necker when they earn their Scout rank. Troop does an old Investiture Ceremony for their necker and rank. 

Back on topic.

I've used ceremonies teams to reinvigorate the chapter in the past. We have some interest in ceremonies now, and I  was going to work with a team again. My son's WDL has twins in the OA who are interested in ceremonies, but they read the new policy and scripts. They are thinking of either not doing it at all, or going rogue. While cheerful service is the heart of the OA, Native American imagery was the soul of the OA.  It inspired and motivated.

I know there is talk of going back to the original black robes Goodman and Edson used. In my area they will not work. My chapter had folks do OA Trail Crew that used black robes for their ceremony and brought it back to the chapter. Our Brotherhood team used them briefly as we got tones of complaints. Complaints about the the robes ranged from being "satanic" to the robes being too close to the KKK. They stopped using them and went back to Native regalia.

In the opening ceremony at NOAC  today, all four principles wore black robes.    No native american regalia at all.

A nod to our beginnings on Treasure Island, or a harbinger of things to come?

8 hours ago, Oldscout448 said:

In the opening ceremony at NOAC  today, all four principles wore black robes.    No native american regalia at all.

The whole black robe thing will be a hard story to sell.  Many will think it's some sort of nod to Star Wars

Image result for star wars black robes

On 7/25/2018 at 10:24 AM, John-in-KC said:

It will be a discussion topic at NOAC.

12 hours ago, Oldscout448 said:

Isn't this just part of the discussion? Rather than black arm bands they went with robes. Quite imaginative.

44 minutes ago, Oldscout448 said:

So at the risk of being called a capitalist  imperialist, anybody want to buy a big drum? 

Quickly? 

Gonna be a glut on the market...better sell quick and take the first offer