Regalia outlawed at Arrow of Light

2 minutes ago, David CO said:

I have no comments to make about the decision, but I am a bit put off by the way it was announced. They made it sound like this was an OA decision rather than a BSA decision. If the comments of OA members on this forum are a reflection of OA members in general, I would have to conclude that this decision was not made by OA. Am I wrong?

The OA executive committee may have indeed made it.  As far as I am aware none of the plebeians at the lodge or chapter level were consulted in any way.

Sound familiar?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Barry, yes the ceremonies were only one aspect of it. I did a lot of that heavy lifting. Camporee staff, counclfire building, Trail clearing, bridge building, raking leaves, if it needed to be done we

Well another BSA tradition is tossed onto the altar of political correctness.  This directed and influenced by people not involved in the program nor interested in the why.  Also those supposedly offe

I mean you know disrespect all Oldscout, but your post represents how OA has been minimalized to irrelevance in the modern scouting program. Used to, Arrowmen were the heavy lifters, not entertainers.

13 minutes ago, David CO said:

I have no comments to make about the decision, but I am a bit put off by the way it was announced. They made it sound like this was an OA decision rather than a BSA decision. If the comments of OA members on this forum are a reflection of OA members in general, I would have to conclude that this decision was not made by OA. Am I wrong?

@David CO, as the announcement makes clear, it was a decision of the National Order of the Arrow Committee, in the same way that the national executive board makes decisions for the BSA. There is not a national referendum of all OA members on these topics, just like there is not a national referendum of all BSA members on other issues. It also does not have to be a unanimous decision.

Just because a few people online are upset with a decision does not mean that they represent all members. That also does not suggest that a national organization with a representative structure did not make the decision. That’s pretty faulty logic.

The Committee members are publicly identified here: https://oa-bsa.org/about/leadership/national-committee. Anyone truly upset over this should contact the leadership.

• Like 1