Regalia outlawed at Arrow of Light

So  crossover and AoL ceremonies are now written by National,  And only class A uniforms are allowed. 

My team, about 20 of some of the most outstanding scouts in the district, is vacillating between Rebellion and just quitting.

I suspect call outs are next, or perhaps Eagle courts of Honor. If they're trying to kill the OA this is a very good way to start.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Barry, yes the ceremonies were only one aspect of it. I did a lot of that heavy lifting. Camporee staff, counclfire building, Trail clearing, bridge building, raking leaves, if it needed to be done we

Well another BSA tradition is tossed onto the altar of political correctness.  This directed and influenced by people not involved in the program nor interested in the why.  Also those supposedly offe

I mean you know disrespect all Oldscout, but your post represents how OA has been minimalized to irrelevance in the modern scouting program. Used to, Arrowmen were the heavy lifters, not entertainers.

Would you cite the source of this announcement please!

I was afraid this would happen. When I was discussing this with other Arrowmen, to say they were ticked off would be an understatement. And I know of one WDL who has been planning their den's AOL and Crossover since  they became Webelos. She wants the ceremony her older two sons had.

EDITED:

OK found out the announcement.

https://oa-bsa.org/article/official-arrow-light-and-crossover-ceremonies

This will kill the OA in the longterm. I see a lot of rogue chapters and lodges.

Edited by Eagle94-A1
  • Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Would you cite the source of this announcement please!

I was afraid this would happen. When I was discussing this with other Arrowmen, to say they were ticked off would be an understatement. And I know of one WDL who has been planning their den's AOL and Crossover since  they became Webelos. She wants the ceremony her older two sons had.

EDITED:

OK found out the announcement.

https://oa-bsa.org/article/official-arrow-light-and-crossover-ceremonies

This will kill the OA in the longterm. I see a lot of rogue chapters and lodges.

It might only bring the inevitable closer, but OA was already dying from over protection and cultural activism. OA is about Service and Outdoors, not pack ceremonies.

The organization lost it's soul when leaders turned it from an honor organization into a first year camping prize.  Arrowmen were super scouts back in my day and I'm lucky to always have the memory.

I hate to see it go, but  to me its just a logical step toward the New Family Scouting program. 

Barry

• Upvote 2

E94,

Thanks for posting the reference.

I agree with you and Oldscout. OA is losing a part of its identity. Moreover, its losing a very important way to promote itself to future members.

I am truly saddened by this.

Prof

• Upvote 1

Well another BSA tradition is tossed onto the altar of political correctness.  This directed and influenced by people not involved in the program nor interested in the why.  Also those supposedly offended by the usage who are in many cases supportive of the usage and tradition were not consulted.

Is Akela still mentioned in Cubs or is that verboten now?

• Upvote 3

In my eyes the biggest losers here are the Cubs. As a scout I did perhaps a hundred Arrow of Light, Cub colors,or crossover ceremonies, and as an advisor I have watched perhaps a thousand. The one thing that was constant was the look of awe and wonder in the Cubs eyes. They just loved it. It was often years later when they were inducted into the order and joined the ceremonies team they would tell me they had wanted to do this since they were 10 years old, since that magical night by the campfire when the chief gave them their Arrow of Light.

We have been making jingle dresses so that the girls could join in the ceremonies so that the girl Cubs could be likewise impressed.

We don't do this for money, heck we spend our own money to keep this going, we don't do it because it's easy, and we certainly don't do it because National tells us to. In keeping with that attitude and mind set I'm struggling to find a reason why we shouldn't just go Rogue take off our sashes and keep doing it anyway because that's what the Cubs want.

Edited by Oldscout448
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Oldscout448 said:

I suspect call outs are next, or perhaps Eagle courts of Honor. If they're trying to kill the OA this is a very good way to start.

It makes no sense to say no regalia at Crossover/Arrow of Light ceremonies and keep it for the rest of the OA. It wouldn't surprise me to see all regalia banned before the next election cycle.

10 minutes ago, Oldscout448 said:

In my eyes the biggest losers here are the Cubs. As a scout I did perhaps a hundred Arrow of Light, Cub colors,or crossover ceremonies, and as an advisor I have watched perhaps a thousand. The one thing that was constant was the look of awe and wonder in the Cubs eyes. They just loved it. It was often years later when they were inducted into the order and joined the ceremonies team they would tell me they had wanted to do this since they were 10 years old, since that magical night by the campfire when the chief gave them their Arrow of Light.

Agreed. I looked through the posted ceremonies briefly. I don't think they come close to having an arrowman show up in regalia. If I was a cubmaster, I would probably not do the ceremony. Just have some guys from our sister troop attend. Would probably be about as effective.

I like the idea of dropping sashes and going rogue!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Oldscout448 said:

In my eyes the biggest losers here are the Cubs. As a scout I did perhaps a hundred Arrow of Light, Cub colors,or crossover ceremonies, and as an advisor I have watched perhaps a thousand. The one thing that was constant was the look of all and wonder in the Cubs eyes. They just loved it. It was often years later when they were inducted into the order I joined the ceremonies team they would tell me they had wanted to do this since they were 10 years old, I'm that magical night by the campfire when the chief gave them their Arrow of Light.

I mean you know disrespect all Oldscout, but your post represents how OA has been minimalized to irrelevance in the modern scouting program. Used to, Arrowmen were the heavy lifters, not entertainers. Oh sure, they performed ceremonies, but they were also the goto resource for clearing and cleaning up camps, clearing old trails and blazing new trails. They were brought in as experts for council camping activities and leaders of council outdoor activities. If you needed scout activities experts for large gatherings, you called OA. Their outdoor expertise was only marginally less than their reputation for cheerful service. Cheerul service is diving in without question or complaint. Nobody represented the actions of the Oath and Law better than an Arrowmen. They were in general the quiet voices in the shadows gently guiding young scouts in the direction of a scouting idealism.

Ironically for me, I always envisioned Arrowmen with the same hero respect of Mohicans in the book, Last of the Mohicans. 

Barry

• Upvote 3

Barry, yes the ceremonies were only one aspect of it. I did a lot of that heavy lifting. Camporee staff, counclfire building, Trail clearing, bridge building, raking leaves, if it needed to be done we went out and did it. We were the ones who did the hard work, the Dirty Work and we were damn proud of it.

You never asked for money, or a patch, we didn't even care if we got a round of applause. It didn't really matter if anyone else knew, we knew. And that was enough for us.

That is the attitude and mindset I have striven to instill in the current generation. It is admittedly a lot harder now. But there are some Scouts who seem to truly understand that it's not about us it's about serving, bearing the burdens of those who cannot carry the load alone, they inspire me and they keep me going. And it's not that I need the Traditions to continue to comfort me in my old age.  I think they need the Traditions to continue so that they can feel a part of something ancient and continuing and that they are links in that chain. A tradition that they can be part of and then pass on to the next generation and I fear that all that will soon be lost and forgotten

Edited by Oldscout448
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, Oldscout448 said:

Barry, yes the ceremonies were only one aspect of it. I did a lot of that heavy lifting. Camporee staff, counclfire building, Trail clearing, bridge building, raking leaves, if it needed to be done we went out and did it. We were the ones who did the hard work, the Dirty Work and we were damn proud of it.

You never asked for money, or a patch, we didn't even care if we got a round of applause. It didn't really matter if anyone else knew, we knew. And that was enough for us.

That is the attitude and mindset I have striven to instill in the current generation. It is admittedly a lot harder now. But there are some Scouts who seem to truly understand that it's not about us it's about serving and they inspire me and they keep me going. And it's not that I need the Traditions to continue to comfort me in my old age.  I think they need the Traditions to continue so that they can feel a part of something ancient and continuing and that they are links in that chain. A tradition that they can be part of and then pass on to the next generation and I fear that all that will soon be lost and forgotten

Yes, I agree. Traditions carry over the original idealism that fuels passion. Hopefully, you can keep giving them that passion. 

Barry

30 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

Yes, I agree. Traditions carry over the original idealism that fuels passion. Hopefully, you can keep giving them that passion. 

Barry

I'll try of course. It's just going to be a lot harder. 

And the" reason" for it just infuriates me.