trail crew / wilderness voyage question

I happen to know of some individuals that have recently become interested in these programs this year. However, there is some concern that by the time an application could be approved by the lodge adviser and scout executive, and then mailed to the national office, and then confirmation mailed back to the individuals, that it would be very difficult to make the various arrangements necessary to actually be able to attend. (Obviously this assumes all the slots are not yet taken. Though I have been told they usually operate bellow maximum capacity.)

My question then is who should be contacted to seek out additional information? The only method of contact provided on the applications or the associated on line materials is the mailing address for the Order of the Arrow in TX. There is one telephone number listed on the OA website, but it is listed as being available for answering immediate questions regarding policy. So the question is who (and by what method) can someone who knows something be contacted?

(Since it appears such information is closely guarded, you may wish to send the reply privately, if possible.)

While I thank you both for the links, I am afraid I have already checked both of those locations. I may have missed something, but I did not find what I was looking for.

What I really need is probably a telephone number (and a name to go with it), or perhaps an email address. I know I could contact the camps, but it is my understanding that registration is handled through the national OA office in Texas. While additional information on the programs themselves would also be very useful, it would be most helpful to determine if participation is still possible this year or not before seeking out the details on the program.

Just found this link for canoe trip

OA Wilderness Voyage web page: http:/www.oa-bsa.org/programs/ntvoy/

Sounds great!

Please let us know if you find out they have any openings to either!!

Hi again.. Okay, I PM'd you the info you were looking for. Let me know if it doesn't come through.

Also, I'm going to try posting the email for Brian Seeton again - ignore the spaces - type it out as one long word..

BSeeton @ aol.com

BSeeton@aol.com

Thank you all for the replies. I knew someone would have some good information if I asked around.

I think I also got a good reply from my Lodge Adviser. He told me I needed to call the office in TX and talk to the OA secretary to find the information I am seeking. (Though I wonder if he is referring to the secretary in the office, or if he was thinking of the old term for the OA directer.) That does sound like it would be the most efficient method of inquiring about availability of slots in the programs.

Oh, and I did finally get the PM. Apparently Yahoo decided to dump it in the Bulk Mail folder with all the spam for some reason.(This message has been edited by Proud Eagle)(This message has been edited by Proud Eagle)

I called the national OA office in Texas today. I was able to find out that their are still some openings for Trail Crew and Wilderness Voyage. I was told all remaining Voyage sessions still contain openings. Trail Crew has openings for sessions 3, 4, and 6.

If anyone is interested in participating in these programs you must:

download and fill out the forms from www.oa-bsa.org

obtain parental permission if under 18

obtain Lodge Adviser approval

obtain Scout executive approval

mail completed application and $25 non-refundable deposit to the OA office in TX

Keep in mind that half of these two week programs is spent doing trail or portage work. The other half is spent doing canoing or backpacking. All participants must be physically prepared. Oh, and just so I don't get anyone's hopes up, these programs are only for Arrowmen who are at least 16, but not yet 21 years of age. Also, very important, you must arrange your own transportation either to the high adventure base, or to one of the designated pick up points, by the specified times and dates.

If you are unable to participate this year, consider applying for next year's program. The 2005 applications will be available by NOAC (there is usually a booth at NOAC promoting these programs and handing out applications), if not sooner. It is my understanding that those selected are not notified until May, but since the selection process is competitive, it certainly doesn't hurt to get the applications in early.

Also, for college age Scouters, I believe the Philbreak program (more or less a shortened Trail Crew during spring break) will be offered again in 2005. This is a rare opportunity to go to Philmont in the spring time off season, rather than the summer.