Hello Scouts and Scouters,

I have 2 weird questions, but I can't find the answer to them anywhere. I have been to 3/4 of the High Adventure Bases (Philmont,  SBR, Sea Base), and all of them have had a signature branding iron. When I first attended Philmont I bought a leather belt, this was 2 years ago when I was 14, and had it branded at Philmont. This past summer I attended Venturing Fest at SBR, and went with my Troop to Sea Base, at both bases I had my belt branded with their branding. I have come to find that my original Philmont belt is getting a bit tight from 2 years of growing. Next summer I plan on attending Wilderness Voyage at Northern Tier, which leads into my first question. Does Northern Tier have a signature branding iron? My second question is, are the Irons (besides Philmont, which is on their website) able to be bought anywhere, I can't find them online? My Philmont belt is my most cherished piece of Scouting memorabilia that I own, it is sentimentally irreplaceable. However I really did enjoy having the brands of my adventures on my belt, it was a very good conversation starter, and it felt good to be able to show that I attended almost all of the bases since Venturing Fest didn't count towards my Triple Crown.

Thanks 

YIS

Matt Sherman

Edited by SCCMatthew
  • 6 months later...

It's not just high adventure bases that have branding irons: I know of some scout camps that also have their own brands and will brand belts, mugs, or whatever a scout brings to have branded.

Don't know about buying specific branding irons, but if you wanted to buy your own custom branding iron, you can do it. Here's a place that sells branding irons:  http://www.texasirons.com/cat_brandingirons.cfm 

Interesting that the site shows branding irons being used to brand steaks on the grill. Think I'll have to buy one with our adult patrol emblem on it...that ought to impress the other scouters  in the troop!!