Cub Scout Outdoor Award

What kinds of activities do your dens and packs do for this? 

The requirements seem a little vague in spots. What is an "outdoor sporting event" and what constitutes "participate"? Is playing Capture the Flag (and other outdoor games) at Cub Scout Camp participating in an outdoor sporting event? Or does it need to be more like being on a soccer team? 

What kinds of conservation projects do you find are successful and meaningful for cub scouts? 

Any other tips on this award? 

http://usscouts.org/usscouts/advance/cubscout/Outdoor-Activity.asp

Yeah, my thoughts on the award is that it should be easy enough for any cub who goes to day/resident camp should be able to complete the rest of the award relatively trivially. For example, the different hiking adventure loops have strong language about what counts (1 mile/3 miles) while the outdoor activity award just says go on a hike. This one is very much a don't over think it, keep it simple, make it fun.

• Upvote 1

Thank you! 

My cub invented a game the other day just on her own that involved turning their slide into a water slide and a bunch of other activities she and her sister could enjoy together - they played at it for a couple hours! I marked the “invent a game and play with your friends for 30m” off for her. She is really excited about earning this award. She is the only one in her den that went to camp sadly so I think she’ll be the only one to get it. But maybe next year we can get more of them to go. 

As a side note, USSCOUTS doesn’t list that last option for inventing a game on their website, but it’s on all the other sites that explain the award - any idea why?

Edited by Liz
Typo
4 minutes ago, Liz said:

As a side note, USSCOUTS doesn’t list that last option for inventing a game on their website, but it’s on all the other sites that explain the award - any idea why?

As of June 1st, there is a new option, "Invent an outside game, and play it outside with friends for 30 minutes.

i would guess that the requirements got updated and usscouts hasn’t updated their list. 

34 minutes ago, shortridge said:

@Liz, I just want to say that it’s a great feeling to read the words “My Cub” and “she” in the same sentence. I hope she keeps on inventing and creating and having a great time in Scouting!

You think that’s great. Just wait until a three year old girl starts asking you every night at bedtime, “I can be a Cub Scout when I be bigger?” And you can smile and say “Yes.” :) 

This is my happy reality. And being able to pass that Bear Cub scarf down at Crossover that used to belong to my now-adult boys... priceless. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a quick note on a conservation idea that's super easy. Mason Bees are very important pollinators and making little houses or Bee Hotels can be quick, easy, and fun even for Lion Dens. You can make them out of old bird houses falling apart, scrap lumbar, or a cleaned up tin can, some rolled up scrap paper, or old garden bamboo canes. The links below give good basic info on why and on how to do it but there are many more ideas on Pinterest. Painting is always the funnest part for the kids.

https://baynature.org/article/backyard-boarding-house/

https://www.turningclockback.com/diy-mason-bee-house

/ d22ff51c71c410595e1baa5568531442.jpg.d6f2198f3af60ad2fd89f57f6235ab64.jpg2decc8d11a124e19fc76e265219f05db.jpg.c5996eca564c8e71b5de926070b7bdbd.jpga52a928461489b8329c4649a1452a71c.jpg.a956b9c62c1a6968629564d6853b5e2c.jpg

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Longhaired_Mac said:

Just a quick note on a conservation idea that's super easy. Mason Bees are very important pollinators and making little houses or Bee Hotels can be quick, easy, and fun even for Lion Dens.

That is an AWESOME suggestion. Thank you!!