My son will going through his Ordeal in a few days.  We both know that he is to sleep under the stars.  The packing list includes ground tarp and rain fly along with work gloves, etc...  Maybe I'm over thinking this, but it doesn't say anything about rope or stakes or anything else that might secure the rain fly.  I assume it is ok for him to bring rope and stakes?  It is currently scheduled to rain at some time during his Ordeal.  The packing list is short, I wouldn't want him to get in trouble for bringing something he should not have.  How does someone secure a rain fly without some sort of support?  I know I can email the OA team but thought I would ask here, it would probably be faster.

Also, just to rant for a moment, we did not find out about him being a candidate until half of the Ordeals were already over.  The OA email was received as soon as the troop came back from summer camp.  He was not at summer camp to get called out.  I assume this is due to all of the secrecy over who is elected but c'mon, this is summer, families have vacations planned, etc.. 

It's been a few years, but if memory serves, there will be a gear shake-down when the candidates show up.  Right before the ordeal formally starts.  So if your son is allowed to take the rain fly, great.  If not, he'll be asked to leave it behind.  In which case, the ground cloth can be folded over the top of the sleeping bag, providing some shielding from the rain.

Re communication or lack thereof, I understand completely.  As a youth, I was our lodge's publications chairman (and committee, a one-scout team).  Even considering today's technology, I think we were just as well informed back then with mailed memeograph letters once a month and lots of phone calls--perhaps better.

Edited by desertrat77

He can bring stakes and rope if desired; the OA team will advise him specifically on what can be brought on the Ordeal itself. Typically his pack will be left at a secured location, so he won’t get into “trouble” for bringing extra items to the weekend. It’s a fairly simple process and candidates have been rained on before; don’t sweat it too much.

Candidates generally have 12 months from the time of election to complete the Ordeal. In my lodge, there are opportunities in June, August and April; if other obligations prevent a candidate from attending any of those (like prescheduled family vacations, work or academics), I’d like to think that the lodge would work with the candidate.

Different lodges, different rules.  Some allow a tarp strung overhead if there is really heavy rain.  Some just tell you to bring an extra large ground sheet and fold it over youself tortilla style.  They may be assuming he will use the tarp as a top blanket to keep the rain off.

Some allow flashlights or headlamps, some don't. 

A few check everyone's pack for contraband, some inspect one in ten most just assume a scout is trustworthy,  and keep a,weathereye for Snickers bars and the like.

On my ordeal I was told to bring a tent.  Slept under the stars Friday night, in the tent on Saturday night.

I would say  Take the stakes and paracord.   The ordeal is really not so much the Order testing your son as it is him testing himself.

As to the communications snafu, if the time is short (less that 6 weeks) we email the parents so that schedules can be modified and the scout is still left in suspense untill the call out.

Oldscout

Edited by Oldscout448
1 hour ago, Oldscout448 said:

and keep a,weathereye for Snickers bars

LOL Oldscout, I'd forgotten about that...the hidden candy bar...the oldest trick in the book!   Hence the weather eye during shake down, as you mentioned.

I recall taking a ground cloth, sleeping bag (Kmart's best, 8 lbs or so in weight) and a knife.

Edited by desertrat77

The only thing I use snickers for is baiting the ground hog trap. Braces kept me from a developing a taste for gooey candy (not to say any other kind isn't fair game !).

In my ordeal, it RAINED (apres moi, le deluge...)  Friday night and they put everyone in the dining hall.  Saturday was for work and ceremony. Saturday night , the sky was clear over the Chesapeake....

3 hours ago, desertrat77 said:

LOL Oldscout, I'd forgotten about that...the hidden candy bar...the oldest trick in the book!   Hence the weather eye during shake down, as you mentioned.

I recall taking a ground cloth, sleeping bag (Kmart's best, 8 lbs or so in weight) and a knife.

Yup, the old candy bar in a knee sock trick.   Just make sure to put a rubber band just below the Snickers or it tends to slide down into your boot resulting in a sticky  melted mess that squishes when you walk.

• Upvote 1

[Chasing rabbit....]

If we are talking about Camp Rodney, I had the privilege of attending several years ago.

Our camp site was near a cliff that overlooked Chesapeake Bay.  My tent was right on the edge of the cliff.  At night, I kept all of the flaps up, and the most wonderful breeze would waft in from the Bay.  Amazing.

And a darn good camp, too.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the responses.  I'll send him with the rope and stakes just in case and if anyone has a problem he can blame it on dad.  Not really worried about him getting wet, tired or hungry, I like to think he can tolerate more than most of the other scouts just because we do a lot of activities as a family.  We just completed his 20 mile for the hiking badge a few weekends ago and he had no problem with that (but I was exhausted). 

"Burrito" style camping just didn't seem to me like what they would have in mind when asking him to bring the ground cover and rainfly.  Makes me claustrophobic thinking about it.  Other items were CLass A, backpack, work clothes and gloves, sleeping bag, toiletries, extra clothes, flashlight, water bottle.  No knife on the list.

The lodge might be willing to work with a candidate, I wouldnt' know but the paperwork says the last available Ordeal is a date in August and if they miss that then they will need to be re-elected to attend.  The troop election was in Feb.  It's kind of funny that it was so long ago, he didn't even remember the troop having elections.  I've been in similar groups and I get the surprise factor but it was more of a negative surprise in our household because now we need to rearrange schedules and I have two important meetings the same day that I will then have to rush home and pick him up and get him to the camp.  If people knew in Feb, then I feel the parents should have known also.  Like I said in the original post, he didn't go to camp this year but we would have tried to drive him (several hours) to the camp for the call out and then back home.  Nothing I can do about it, just my two cents.

Curious what lodge your son will be joining? In our lodge, if the weather got too bad, we would put the candidates in an open sided shelter. I really doubt your son will be allowed to create a "tent" like structure. Instead, we rolled up inside our 12 x 12 blue ground cloth. I have actually gone through the Ordeal many times and when it rain, I would just roll up in a  cocoon. Because rope and stakes are not that much equipment, maybe you bring them and have him ask the people where he registers for the weekend if he can have the stakes and rope. If not, just take them home otherwise your son keeps them for the night. I am too much of a softie.  I hope it doesn't rain during the night of his ordeal. The planned challenges are already memorable but, if it does rain and he has to stay outside, he may not enjoy it at the time but that memory and accomplishment will always be remembered. It seems like the tough stuff is what we remember the most in our lives. I won't forget to bring 2 flashlights when going a mile into a lava cave and having my only source of light go out and just feel the walls all the way to the entrance of the cave. 

Is your son excited about his Ordeal? I joined long ago in the 70's when it seemed like the Ordeal was the lodge testing the candidate. It has really improved to the point that it is clear or should be, that its the individual testing himself and if he goes into it with that attitude, I think it will be a memorable weekend, maybe not fun at the time but later when he gets his sash I can see his happy face feeling the arrow on the sash and looking down at it with pride. I hope all goes well for your son!!!!

Would you let us know how it went?

Edited by coleman07
On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:54 AM, coleman07 said:

Curious what lodge your son will be joining? In our lodge, if the weather got too bad, we would put the candidates in an open sided shelter. I really doubt your son will be allowed to create a "tent" like structure. Instead, we rolled up inside our 12 x 12 blue ground cloth. I have actually gone through the Ordeal many times and when it rain, I would just roll up in a  cocoon. Because rope and stakes are not that much equipment, maybe you bring them and have him ask the people where he registers for the weekend if he can have the stakes and rope. If not, just take them home otherwise your son keeps them for the night. I am too much of a softie.  I hope it doesn't rain during the night of his ordeal. The planned challenges are already memorable but, if it does rain and he has to stay outside, he may not enjoy it at the time but that memory and accomplishment will always be remembered. It seems like the tough stuff is what we remember the most in our lives. I won't forget to bring 2 flashlights when going a mile into a lava cave and having my only source of light go out and just feel the walls all the way to the entrance of the cave. 

Is your son excited about his Ordeal? I joined long ago in the 70's when it seemed like the Ordeal was the lodge testing the candidate. It has really improved to the point that it is clear or should be, that its the individual testing himself and if he goes into it with that attitude, I think it will be a memorable weekend, maybe not fun at the time but later when he gets his sash I can see his happy face feeling the arrow on the sash and looking down at it with pride. I hope all goes well for your son!!!!

Would you let us know how it went?

coleman, I'd rather not say what lodge just to be discrete but we are by the Great Lakes.  I've never rolled up like a cocoon in a rain fly before.  I will advise my scout that he may need to do that.  I agree that the tough stuff is what I always remember.  I've always enjoyed this quote, "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."  I have had my share of challenges in life and they have all made me stronger, even the ones that almost killed me.

He plays it cool and laid back about everything but he let out a little squeak of excitement when he got the email.   The wife and I are hoping OA will renew his interest in scouting.  His troop focuses on T21 and reaching First Class so as the scouts get older there is not as much interesting stuff being done.  There are a few other scouts in OA and a few leaders elected as adults but OA is never discussed except at election time.  We don't know how active the lodge is but I'm willing to drive him to meetings and campouts to learn more.  The challenge for us will be to get him out of his comfort zone and meet new friends at OA instead of just the friends he already has in the troop.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.