Total Available Youth after Feb. 1

I’m working with a district that has had some membership challenges in the past. I’m trying to look ahead to our goals for 2019 and anticipate the impact of the Scouts BSA changes on the district JTE standards.

Adding girls will effectively double the TAY numbers. It’s clear that we can’t double TAY and meet the current JTE percentage goals; we’re having trouble meeting it now as is. We just won’t have many troops and packs in the first year to serve the girls’ Scouts BSA population; it will be a gradual, growing process to develop that unit infrastructure.

Our field service staff has said they’re waiting on National for information and insight on how that will be implemented. I would think that the goals will start low and gradually increase. Has anyone in these forums gotten any better intel?

To answer your question, no. I don't know much about the TAY numbers. Are you saying that because there are double the available youth JTE expects the total number of youth participating should double? That's nuts.

The best advice I have heard about JTE, from my new DE no less, is work on the program.

• Upvote 1

That’s what I’m trying to figure out. We’re being told to look to JTE to help set our goals, but have no guidance on what the new JTE standards will be. I hope it’ll be a phased-in approach.

I agree that JTE seems like a paperwork-pushing exercise in numbers manipulation. But I still like to know what’s being expected or asked of me.

For now ... I'd keep your numbers as if girls were not joining.  It may spin the numbers, but at least it would start off on a positive year.  Plus, you really don't know how the troop level will work in detail or how many will start.  You don't know how many packs will run with the program.  

I'd look at previous year numbers and adjust for if you added or lost packs and troops.  That's really it.  

I would definitely NOT adjust for TAY in any way at this point.  

Based on past BSA practice, my prediction is that sometime later this year (quite likely much later) the BSA will come out with a new scoresheet for 2019 that not only takes the "doubling" of TAY into account, but includes specific goals for adding girl dens and girl troops (on the district and council level.)  This will happen before 2019 begins - but not nearly in time for you to do your planning in July of the previous year.  Just a prediction.

• Haha 1

My knee-jerk. Leave your TAY as-is (maybe factor in a reduction in immigrant boys). Set your goals now accordingly, let your SE know that those will be your targets, period. Count any BSA4G units separately until BSA figures out how to adjust targets.

IMHO, the only useful way to do this is to add a row for total available girls.