Can IH also serve as SM/ASM?

Can the Charter Institutional Head also serve as Scoutmaster or Assistant Scoutmaster? I have read that the Charter Representative (CR) cannot also serve as the SM/ASM...but I haven't been able to determine if the IH can. Thanks!

16 minutes ago, sandlime said:

Can the Charter Institutional Head also serve as Scoutmaster or Assistant Scoutmaster? I have read that the Charter Representative (CR) cannot also serve as the SM/ASM...but I haven't been able to determine if the IH can. Thanks!

Yes. For a short period of time, I served in both positions (IH and SM) while we were transitioning. I don't recommend it as a long term arrangement. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree with David.  I seem to recall for awhile that my son's pack had an IH (Exec. Officer) who was registered as a Den Leader.  I think the logic is that the IH is not actuailly registered as a Scouter (which the COR is) so it does not present an issue of dual-position-holding. But I also agree that it should not be a long-term arrangement.  It is kind of awkward.  The COR can remove and replace the SM.  The IH can remove and replace the COR.  So if the IH is also the SM, you have two people with the authority to remove each other.  Hopefully it never comes to that.  But it is not an ideal permanent solution.