Committee Meetings

13 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

Understood.  I was really responding to the post right above mine, which seems to say that the parents in the pack can vote and replace the Committee Chair.  That isn't the way it works.  Redman's pack is in a tough spot.

Yes. Mac's solution not only replaces the CC, it also usurps the authority of the COR to choose and appoint the CC. I would not recommend doing that.

2 hours ago, David CO said:

Yes. Mac's solution not only replaces the CC, it also usurps the authority of the COR to choose and appoint the CC. I would not recommend doing that.

I agree.  Trying to force the COR isn't a winning strategy.

If it's that bad, I'd do:

- find adults to volunteer to take on committee roles - advancement chair, activities chair, membership chair, etc.  Get them to officially take those roles.

- once they have those roles, have them meet monthly with the CC.  If the CC doesn't call a meeting, just have them do their job anyways.

A committee meeting is really just a place for committee members to provide reports and status.   If you don't have a meeting these folks can still do their jobs.

15 hours ago, Longhaired_Mac said:

... That said, the simplest way to deal with the problem is to call a committee/parent meeting and vote for a new Chair person ...

CC is not elected.  He's appointed by the COR.  Your vote would only be a statement of who you support and could be very divisive.

well said @ParkMan.  Very well said.

the meeting is only reporting situations and status, brainstorming, hearing from the program side scouters (scoutmaster or cubmaster), and a forum for for the committee to give input or information to the program side scouters.  100% of that can be done outside of a meeting

Honestly, I often felt that in this day and age, with all of our options for immediate digital communications.....on both the individual and on the group levels...that the meetings are almost a waste of time...certainly not necessary.  About the only good from them is the benefits of face to face time....and even that can be done digitally if your really wanted to 

On 7/6/2018 at 12:25 PM, Redman said:

...  Our committee chair is refusing to let us have a committee/leader meeting without her and says that we cannot have a committee meeting per policy.  ...

Then don't call it a committee meeting.  If you coordinate camping, email all the other parents that are part of the committee (or broader if you need fresh help) and say "Hello Troop Committee members, we have a campout coming up next month.  I need to make camp commitments and put an agenda in place.  Your help and suggestions are very welcome.  If you want to help .... Let's meet."  It's not a committee meeting as an immediate coming events planning.  Share the  <time>, <date>, <place ... some coffee places work well ... or libraries or ....>

Then invite them to bring their topics if they have anything to discuss or share.  

Key point ... Avoid the politics and just get the work done you need to get done. 

14 minutes ago, blw2 said:

well said @ParkMan.  Very well said.

the meeting is only reporting situations and status, brainstorming, hearing from the program side scouters (scoutmaster or cubmaster), and a forum for for the committee to give input or information to the program side scouters.  100% of that can be done outside of a meeting

Honestly, I often felt that in this day and age, with all of our options for immediate digital communications.....on both the individual and on the group levels...that the meetings are almost a waste of time...certainly not necessary.  About the only good from them is the benefits of face to face time....and even that can be done digitally if your really wanted to 

Yes, in an idealistic world. Leaders of a teams focus on the objectives, coordinates the proper resources to the required tasks, and maintains motivation toward the vision of the tasks. Without consistent direction and correction in any of those three processes , the group will tend to stall and sway away from the vision.  An observer will note that the most successful organizations are, in one way or another, constantly and continually reminded and motivated toward their objective. 

Modern communication of emails, tweeter-twaters, texting, and even phone conversations are far more challenging in leading a group to the common task than consistent group meetings. Led properly, meetings require far less of a team members time than one on one coordinating. And, brainstorming is almost nonexistant. Doing ones job without some reminder of the big picture and some realignment of each team members task generally leads to slowed or stalled program.

That being said, while I can see the committee members performing their task without guidance for a short time, team leadership should be a priority, one way or another.

Barry

• Upvote 1

*sigh*   

"The work is done by whoever shows up."

If the Pack/Troop/Crew  is small, folks involved will wear many hats.  If the Pack/Troop/ is large, you MAY have enough folks to parcel out the duties and needs, or you may not.  

Sometimes we have to remind ourselves for WHOM the committee works. The adults? Or....    If decisions need to be made, one must trust the folks that "show up"  to make good decisions or else WE have to show up to help with those decisions.  Voting?  Consensus?   Command hierarchy?    Communication?   We are blessed (some might say....) with email, cellphones, facebook, schmarty phones,   how can we not keep in touch if we are out of town?    Are there  "Assistants"  to take over if the "official" is not available?   How often on these pages have we heard it said that the SPL needs to assign an ASPL if he can't be there?  

If the meetings are IMPORTANT, people will come.   If they are seen as NOT IMPORTANT,  why come?  Who decides if it is important?  In my experience, it is the "head", the Chair, in Quaker parlance, the Clerk.  Their attitude is all important.   If that person does not treat the meeting as important, what MUST happen? 

A good chair makes sure things are "covered".   If he/she can't be there, don't cancel the meeting, Lord knows it's hard enough to keep a modern schedule, ask an "assistant" chair to chair the meeting.  Make the decisions, Hear the reports. If you are really formal, write the minutes, approve them and "publish" them.  Record who is /isn't present. Or not.  

It's for the Scouts.   Will ANY Tenderfoot care who  was at the meeting? No. He will only care that there were enough parents to drive him and his buds to the campsite.  

Make sure the donuts are fresh and the coffee and tea (herb?  Decaff?) is hot.   Make the decisions. Drive the Scouts.   

See you on the trail.