Identifying a Mystery Patch

50 años means 50 years in Spanish. The black figure looks like Don Quixote astride Rocinante, his horse. I'm not quite sure what the black text says. I think I can see "of La Mancha" at the end of it. Don Quijote de la Mancha is the full title of Cervantes' character. Hopefully that helps.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Does the back of the patch have any special markings? I would imagine it comes from Spain; the colors, symbols, and use of Cervantes' themes and imagery almost certainly indicate it originates from there. The World Scouting emblem is placed in a 50, so perhaps it is related to Spain's 50th anniversary of Scouting, or another 50th anniversary event in Spain's Scouting history. At least with those clues you have a start; you could start googling information of that kind and see what you can dig up. 

I'm fairly convinced I saw symbols like that at the Spanish Jamboree last year. In which case, the main Spanish scout organisation is ASDE. The complication will be that Scouts in Spain has gone through a few name changes over the years, it apparently started in 1912, and 50 years after that is during the Franco dictatorship, but scouts was allowed. So still definitely feasibly a Spanish badge.

I agree with the text at the top possibly ending La Mancha, a region of Spain just south of Madrid.

My that's some rough embroidery!

Edited by ianwilkins
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:04 PM, Saltface said:

That's some mighty fine investigative work Lou.

Edited by CalicoPenn