Summer camp hacks/gear suggestions

Going to summer camp for the second year with the troop.  Last year, I spent most the time doing leader training.  Looking forward to enjoying my stay more this year.

Just wondering what some of you experienced summer camp attendees bring or do to improve your stay?  Besides the usual comfy camp chair and coffee mug.

thanks

Scott

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have to have the solar one, works great (or so I have been told)

Earplugs. Baby wipes. Apparently a margarita machine is frowned upon.

Of course they're frowned upon. Most troop sites aren't wired for electricity....

1 minute ago, Eagledad said:

coolmax or Smartwool socks with liners and hiking boots. Much more comfortable than running shoes and cotton socks. 

Barry

Are these better then the thorlos socks that the scout shop offers?  I have a couple pairs of those.

Lightweight running shoes and Darn Tough socks are an unbeatable combination. I wish BSA would partner with Darn Tough.

Dr. Bronner’s soap - laundry detergent, soap, body wash and toothpaste (OK, I haven’t tried that) all in one.

A camera or smartphone to take lots of pictures of your Scouts. The candids are the ones they’ll remember, not the posed shots.

Synthetic or merino wool underwear.

Surprise snacks for a special midweek nighttime treat - watermelon, s’mores, grapes, tacos, apples, etc.

Multiple bandanas so you can wear, wash, and dry at the same time.

A packable hammock and suspension straps. ENO makes a sub-six ounce version that packs up like a baseball.

A random paperback novel for a lazy afternoon in said hammock.

1 hour ago, 69RoadRunner said:

Earplugs. Baby wipes.

Apparently a margarita machine is frowned upon.

21 minutes ago, WonderBoy said:

Of course they're frowned upon. Most troop sites aren't wired for electricity....

You have to have the solar one, works great (or so I have been told)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, shortridge said:

Lightweight running shoes and Darn Tough socks are an unbeatable combination. I wish BSA would partner with Darn Tough.

Aw, yeah!  Darn Tough is down the road from me!  I think they are too small to partner with BSA or anything like that— but they do give generously to local Troops and Packs!  Great, great company.

Stove top espresso pot, porcelain demitasse cups, saucers, and stirring spoons,  La-Prima's Miscela Blend ground for stove top, and a dedicated washing-up bin for the porcelain. 

For me, chigger protection is always appreciated along with your standard bug spray of choice. Every year I think, I need to remember to get the chigger powder for next year and I always forget it and wish I hadn't.

A nice wide brim hat. A cooling towel. A friend of mine recommended one of those cooling beanies that motorcyclists use under their helmets. 

Some folks swear about those zero g recliners that can tilt back. To me I can't relax in those. I feel like I'm about to fall backwards. 

I like using a Sansbug for my mosquito netting. It's my luxury item. If I'm bringing one. I also get by with just a sheet and no netting. 

I like a good book that I wouldn't care if it got damaged and I also like to bring something to pass the time with other adults. My favorite game to play is Farkle, which you can find the rules for on line.  Takes five dice, a surface to play upon, and a paper/pencil to keep score with. Fun to just pass time with other scouters that way and doesn't take any skill. 

Number one thing is, have fun. Do something service wise to help out here and there, but enjoy every moment you can possibly grab. 

I'd second what's been listed for clothing (Thorlo socks w/liners, low cut hiking boots and ExOfficio skivvies for me) and add some Gold Bond Powder for the places those clothes cover.  I also prefer a synthetic golf shirt or vented fishing shirt to cotton t-shirts.  

If you have the room and you don't have to pack it too far, a 5-gallon bucket laundry station, mostly for rinsing out the sweat from those liners and skivvies, some cordage for a clothes line, and a few clothes pins.

• Upvote 2
54 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

Not if you know the secret password to the back door of the trading post!

Don't need passwords if you bring the right "incentive" (c.f. previous post).

Edited by qwazse