Is this the new normal?

6 hours ago, ScouterNorth said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but...

Is a pistol even a viable hunting firearm?

In Georgia I have collected one whitetail with a 10mm Colt Delta Elite open sight semi-auto and several with a scoped 38-40 Ruger Blackhawk.  Hunting with a pistol makes you up your game in stalking and scouting your prey.  The shots must be closer.  My 38-40 pistol groups tighter with handloads at 100 yards than my little brother's 30-06.  Really hacks him off!

• Haha 1
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As long as we are just saying what we "think", with no need for evidence or anything, what I think is that the "silly guidelines" (whatever someone might define them to be, for example, I have no prob

Don't over think this. After 4 weeks the camp staff wanted to go to a dance. The other issues are mistakes that should be brought up with the council. It sounds like they had a new camp director

As always, Richard, thank you for being here and for your willingness to engage. I suspect some of the frustration here stems from the lack of information on “Why” in the G2SS. The “safety moment

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

I was wondering, I have a friend who was talking about hunting moose with a handgun. I thought he said Maine, but I might be remembering wrong. 

22 caliber can be more dangerous than larger calibers because they tend to bounce and ricochet, especially when shooting near body’s of water.

Barry

11 minutes ago, MattR said:

I thought that's what an F150 was for. Bu-bump.

Much like with 22s, the "bounce and ricochet" is why they recommend against hunting moose with a F150. Brake for Moose, it will save your life.

• Haha 1
33 minutes ago, JoeBob said:

In Georgia I have collected one whitetail with a 10mm Colt Delta Elite open sight semi-auto and several with a scoped 38-40 Ruger Blackhawk.  Hunting with a pistol makes you up your game in stalking and scouting your prey.  The shots must be closer.  My 38-40 pistol groups tighter with handloads at 100 yards than my little brother's 30-06.  Really hacks him off!

I don’t know what handgun my son uses, it has a lot of custom work done to it. But he shoots a tight grouping at 100 yards with hand loads also. I can hardly see the target at 100 yards, much less hit it with a iron sighted hand gun.😱

Barry

1 hour ago, oldbuzzard said:

Much like with 22s, the "bounce and ricochet" is why they recommend against hunting moose with a F150. Brake for Moose, it will save your life.

I once had a moose pacing me for 2 miles on the side of a road in Maine while I was driving home from work one night - when I slowed down, he would slow down - if I sped up, he tried to keep pace with me.  I was afraid he was going to decide to try to jump over my car to get to the other side of the road - this was one of the scariest things I've ever experienced because I saw what a moose trying to jump over a little car could do to the car.

13 hours ago, CalicoPenn said:

I once had a moose pacing me for 2 miles on the side of a road in Maine while I was driving home from work one night - when I slowed down, he would slow down - if I sped up, he tried to keep pace with me.  I was afraid he was going to decide to try to jump over my car to get to the other side of the road - this was one of the scariest things I've ever experienced because I saw what a moose trying to jump over a little car could do to the car.

Hmm, maybe one of your scouts gave your car a pheromone rinse. :D

Image result for female moose pheromones urine product

• Haha 1
On 7/14/2018 at 7:11 AM, RememberSchiff said:

Hmm, maybe one of your scouts gave your car a pheromone rinse. :D

Image result for female moose pheromones urine product

I'll make sausage all day long; but I do NOT want to know how they collect that stuff...

• Haha 1