Is this the new normal?

36 minutes ago, Treflienne said:

But who wants a water gun anyway?  They are so wimpy.   At my daughter's school's annual park outing the kids much prefer the water tubes (like a giant syringe) that send a large stream of water. 

I have seen these water tube things. Some of them are very suggestive (depending on the shape of the nozzle). I have heard kids made rude jokes about them. Just the same, I don't think they should be banned as a YP issue. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

13 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

So why wouldn't these also be considered simulated firearms and thus also banned by G2SS?

They don't look like firearms to me. They might sometimes be seen by some kids to simulate something else, but I don't think any kids think of them as simulated firearms.

I have often seen kids in the pool using foam noodles as toy swords, yet BSA hasn't banned them. I guess using foam noodles for simulated sword fighting is better than using squirt guns for simulated gun play. Don't ask me. I have never been able to understand the thought processes of liberals.

Edited by David CO
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As long as we are just saying what we "think", with no need for evidence or anything, what I think is that the "silly guidelines" (whatever someone might define them to be, for example, I have no prob

Don't over think this. After 4 weeks the camp staff wanted to go to a dance. The other issues are mistakes that should be brought up with the council. It sounds like they had a new camp director

As always, Richard, thank you for being here and for your willingness to engage. I suspect some of the frustration here stems from the lack of information on “Why” in the G2SS. The “safety moment

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

When I was a scout, we used flour wrapped up in toilet paper as the means of tag. 

We did a sham battle several years back (bringing back the oldies).  Used sandwich bags, flour, and cornmeal.  Made a projectile about the size of a closed fist, taped it up and let them have at it.  The scouts had a lot of fun.  The labor to make the shams and the time to clean up was not as much fun.

We still enjoy a big annual capture the flag game and also manhunt games on campouts...in the dark...in the woods...organized by the scouts...with actual winners and losers...(we live on the edge)

• Haha 1

There are too many replies to respond to individually, so I'll touch on the major themes.

1. There was a feedback form provided with our checkout procedures. I left comments similar to my original post as well as my contact information. If I don't hear from anyone in a week or two, I'll call Council. Our campsite commissioner told me the general consensus on the camp-wide games was that it was "lame". I can't imagine the three previous sessions giving different feedback.

2. The dance was similar to what you would see in a junior high gym except there wasn't anyone awkwardly standing around the edges. The small group of staff (and possibly a few scouts) that wanted to be there were dancing in groups. It wasn't really the kind of music you would dance to with a partner. Everyone else thought it was dumb and left.

3. Do I think this shift was done to accommodate girls in Scouting? I won't says it's causative, but this is the first female program director we've had. If I had to guess which gender would be more excited about the scavenger hunt, I'd say girls.

8 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

We still enjoy a big annual capture the flag game and also manhunt games on campouts...in the dark...in the woods...organized by the scouts...with actual winners and losers...(we live on the edge)

That's an every Saturday night activity for our troop after camp fire. They love it. If we ever camp within a mile of another troop, our SPL challenges them.

Barry

10 minutes ago, Saltface said:

If I had to guess which gender would be more excited about the scavenger hunt, I'd say girls.

Don't be hating on scavenger hunts.  We do one for our Webelos visitation.  Give the Patrols a listing of 80 items and give them 40 minutes to find. These range fro nature items to items Boy Scouts should have at a campout.

Then we do a quick show me the item and see which group has the most items.  Afterwards we do a review and talk about how do you accomplish a task such as this, how do the patrol leaders allocate their available manpower to accomplish.  What were some of the obstacles?

Snacks to the winners

5 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

Don't be hating on scavenger hunts.  We do one for our Webelos visitation.  Give the Patrols a listing of 80 items and give them 40 minutes to find. These range fro nature items to items Boy Scouts should have at a campout.

Then we do a quick show me the item and see which group has the most items.  Afterwards we do a review and talk about how do you accomplish a task such as this, how do the patrol leaders allocate their available manpower to accomplish.  What were some of the obstacles?

Snacks to the winners

Your activity sounds all very well, especially for the younger boys just coming in to Boy Scouts. Our "scavenger hunt" was to find this person (at their program area), that well-known location, or buy this item and take a picture of it.

Edited by Saltface
14 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

None of my posts, I hope.    :D

Oh no, ya'll are great. It's Mrs. Barry, she is a great balance for my minimal energy style, but that doesn't mean she's always a willing participant.:wub:

2 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

Because, you know, there have been a few forum members over the years who seemed like they wanted to throw things heavier than flour, at me.  :)

Oh, well, um, not me. 

OK, there was that one guy, but he isn't around anymore. The rumor about the other guy isn't true.:o

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Eagledad said:

When I was a scout, we used flour wrapped up in toilet paper as the means of tag. 

I have thought about this multiple times and still don’t understand it. How do you wrap flour up in toilet paper and use it to tag people? What is the purpose?

7 hours ago, MattR said:

What is the purpose of playing in mud?

Purpose may have been the wrong word. I meant what does the TP+flour combination *do*? Seems to me it wouldn’t throw well, and would explode in a mess that would leave toilet paper shreds all over camp. 

I suspect the toilet paper does not shred. I once heard of putting the flour in socks and it just works its way through the sock, leaving a white spot on the person that was hit.

But there's only one way to figure this out!

20 hours ago, walk in the woods said:

So why wouldn't these also be considered simulated firearms and thus also banned by G2SS?

It's not in the shape of a gun?  National hasn't heard about it yet?  Place your theory here...