Once an Arrowman, always an Arrowman. I serve as a Lodge Adviser and we get folks moving into our area or their son has been elected and we get this question a lot. If your previous Lodge doesn’t have records from that far back, we work off of the point of the law that a Acout is trustworthy. If you tell us you were in the OA, we will take you at your word. We do ask that you do the best you can to provide the date of your induction and Brotherhood and/or Vigil. We will add you to our roster after you pay the current year dues. We welcome “lapsed” Arrowman back I to the Brotherhood. 

Let me add, that when we have former members from our Lodge looking to join elsewhere and we don’t have records, we suggest they try this same approach and I’ve yet to have one tell me they were refused. 

I went through this exact process just under two years ago. I went through the Ordeal as a kid way back in '97, but never had any contact with the OA after that. So when I approached my chapter to get my membership caught up, all they asked for were my dues for the year and the date of my Ordeal ceremony. Fast-forward two years now and I am a brand-new Brotherhood member with all kinds of new duties in the lodge. Hopefully the process is as quick for you as it was for me!

• Upvote 1

I skipped Summer Camp the year I was to be tapped. I fumed-out at 16, too much perfume and gas fumes.

I did the Ordeal as an adult last August and just completed my Brotherhood. That is one of the mistakes I tell Scouts about - I should have stayed and completed my Eagle rather than buy a fast car and *try* to find a fast girl.

Edited by Scoutmaster Teddy
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, MattR said:

yes. I had 30 years between ordeal and brotherhood. I did brotherhood with my son. There were no records so they just had to believe me.

Now that  must have been a rare treat.  I had the chance to sit on a log seat and watch as 3 of my sons got their arrows.    Durned smoke must have got in my eyes every time,  had to keep wiping them 

• Upvote 2
13 hours ago, Oldscout448 said:

The lodge had nothing for me either.  Ordeal '74, Brotherhood '75.    But  in 2000 I was welcomed with open arms and a cup of really strong coffee

@The Latin Scot  wadda ya mean " way back in '97"   Sheesh ,these young whippersnappers!  

I guess I figure anything that happened before 2000 is 'way back' for me, LOL. I was only 13 or 14 at the time, so it seems forever ago now. But if I had a nickle for every time a seasoned Scouter called me a young whippersnapper, I could retire early! :laugh:

On 6/30/2018 at 2:17 PM, AndrewCoughlin said:

Wa .wondering if you were a OA member as a youth, and come back after several years as an adult does your status in OA continue?

Yes, if you can find the records. Our former SM had been out of Scouts for probably 30 years, and he had been an OA member as a youth, and got to come back to OA just by paying his dues.  

I had the same situation when I got back involved in my great-nephew's pack.  I had been inactive for a number of years, and was accepted into the lodge after providing the date I went through my ordeal, and of course, paying dues.  

In many instances, there has to some element of trust; particularly if you do not have old membership cards for verification.  In my case, it was a little easier, as while I did not have the 50 year old membership card, I did have my Vigil Honor certificate to use as verification.