Yet another Palms question

Hi... can someone please tell me an easier way of understanding how Palms work? I have tried. I understand the basics, but my CC recently mentioned that a Scout "maxes out" at a certain number of Palms and can earn no more. I assume this is false information, but it is for some reason a struggle for me to "get" how they are figured. A Scout in my Troop had 71 at his EBoR (last week) and will have probably over 100 before he is 18. How does one do the math? Is a program such as Troopmaster going to calculate it automatically? How does the number already having been earned, affect how they are presented as far as whether you are presented with the bronze and golds which are then replaced with the silver?????? Thanks for any insight at all. 

Under the "new" rules, for palm purposes he had 50 palms (71 minus 21) at the time of his EBOR, entitling him to 10 "palms" at his ECOH, but what that really works out to (I think) is 3 silvers and 1 bronze.  (I think.)  From his EBOR he must then wait until he has BOTH 3 months' additional service and 5 additional MB's to get his next palm.  (That would be a gold replacing the bronze.)  And then from the date of that palm, another 3 months and another 5 MB's for his next palm (a silver replacing the gold), and so on, but the palms stop when he is 18.  (So for example if and when he earns a palm within 3 months before he turns his 18, that is the last palm.)  So he is limited both by time and number of merit badges on how many he will be able to earn beyond what he gets at the ECOH.  The 3-month rule no longer applies to the MB's he earned before the EBOR, but it still applies after that.

Assuming there is enough time, there is no "max" other than the one created by the total number of merit badges being offered. 

All of the above is subject to my math being wrong, which I am sure someone would point out.   :)

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Upvote 1

NJ is correct- he would get three silver and one bronze at the time of his ECoH, to reflect the Merit Badge count as of the date of his EBoR. Then, for every 5 additional Merit Badges and 3 months of service, he would be eligible for an additional Palm. Your CC is incorrect about there being any limit except for a Scout's 18th birthday.

I like this page's chart:   https://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Eagle_Palms 

It's kinda  like the "New Math"  I was subjected to in high school.

Take total number of MBs earned , (six month limitation taken into account), Subtract Silver Palms (15 MBs) until you are down to less than 15, then subtract either a Gold (worth ten) and/or a Bronze(worth 5 or less).  Go to Scoutstore  and buy palms.