No parents allowed playground - risk, adventure, character building

24 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Good article, of course as you pointed out, we are the choir.

Still, I didn't see a little red wagon, so there is still some risk management to prevent permanent injury.

This reminded me of a article I read yesterday, apparently some famous movie star posted a video of their family swimming and her husband throwing their young son out of the water into a flip before he landed back in the water. Just the day before my son was telling his 2 year old daughter about how grandpa threw him in the air and flipped him and her aunts and uncles in the pool when they were around her age. She isn't too far from it herself, maybe this summer (me or her dad? I hope, I hope...). But, the point of the article was the number of parents (moms) who posted (or Tweeted?) that they were bad parents. 

Thanks RememberSchiff.

Barry

• Thanks 1
47 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

According to the nbcnews article

"Trained “playworkers” monitor the children, though they step in only if absolutely necessary — much like lifeguards."

And according to https://govisland.com/things-to-do/activities/2018-playgroundnycs-yard

"There are play:groundNYC playworkers in the Yard at all times."

Not exactly free range.

1 hour ago, Treflienne said:

According to the nbcnews article

"Trained “playworkers” monitor the children, though they step in only if absolutely necessary — much like lifeguards."

And according to https://govisland.com/things-to-do/activities/2018-playgroundnycs-yard

"There are play:groundNYC playworkers in the Yard at all times."

Not exactly free range.

No, not exactly free range, and the video shows that too, with the parents crowded around on the outside of the fence.

Despite the efforts to revive "free range parenting" (which my parents just called "being a parent"), I think it is coming back in only a limited form.  Witness the fact that the playground has an "executive director" (though admittedly she seems to be in charge of more than one playground) as well as the parents encircling the playground.

I also would like to know more about the replicas of dismembered human body parts strewn throughout the place.   :)

Added:  I also note that one of the kids was wearing an "It's Better in Canada" t-shirt.  And I did not know that one of G.W. Bush's daughters is a reporter on the Today Show, but that's because I don't watch tv on weekday mornings.

Edited by NJCubScouter
26 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

Despite the efforts to revive "free range parenting" (which my parents just called "being a parent"), I think it is coming back in only a limited form. 

IMHO, Scouting should be leading the comeback of "free range  parenting"  :(

My $0.02,

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

My $0.02,

Not a chance. Great idea, but you are talking about the group that doesn't allow little red wagons, water guns and lazar gun games. I guess there could be some discussion for the lazar guns, but that is still too much on the helicopter parenting side and should be left up to units.

Barry

7 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

My $0.02,

I feel like we're still having a hard enough time selling this ideal to some of our own. While visiting my oldest last night for Family Night at his very first week at summer camp, I found myself having to repeatedly explain to other parents from our Pack why I wasn't spending any time with the Troop at camp. 

50 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

My $0.02,

Which was Mike Rowe's point in his recent rant. I agree with both of you and Mike Rowe. But I'm afraid Eagledad is correct, the BSA is too afraid.

The BSA's trend lately seems to be toward removing some of the specific rules and telling us out here in the field to "use your best judgment" or, stated another way, "if something goes wrong, it's your fault because you decided what to do, not us."

And, at the same time, in a number of ways, treating us like we are morons persons of deficient intellectual capabilities.

What could go wrong?

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:57 AM, RememberSchiff said:

BSA would do this if only they could find a way to turn free-range into fee-range.

• Haha 3