When does a scouting event start/finish?

Looking for input to help with an on-going "discussion". To determine if an event is greater than 72 hours in duration (requiring Health Form Parts A, B, and C, and 100% registered adult participation), do you include travel time to and from the event? The GTSS doesn't address the matter and neither did the old Tour Permit/Plan. My personal opinion is that travel typically poses greater risks than the actual on-site event, and should be included as part of the event. But I'm interested in your thoughts...

I'd include travel time if we were traveling as a group.  So, if we said, "Meet at the Scout Hut at 4pm to drive to the campout" then the start time is 4pm.  But if it was "meet at the campsite at 6pm" then that's the start time.

Certainly the way the local council reads it, it’s 72 hours at the location/event. Ie resident webelos camp is designed to last exactly 71 hours to avoid the issue. But if you include travel time you will exceed the 72 hours. 

7 minutes ago, Chisos said:

I'd include travel time if we were traveling as a group.  So, if we said, "Meet at the Scout Hut at 4pm to drive to the campout" then the start time is 4pm.  But if it was "meet at the campsite at 6pm" then that's the start time.

I agree with your approach. The issue we're discussing is for a Webelos/AOL scout den campout 3 hrs from home. Most scouts will travel with their own parents, but a couple will be without parents and carpooling. Given the distance involved and ride-sharing, I see the travel as part of the event.

2 minutes ago, malraux said:

Certainly the way the local council reads it, it’s 72 hours at the location/event. Ie resident webelos camp is designed to last exactly 71 hours to avoid the issue. But if you include travel time you will exceed the 72 hours. 

Our council handles resident camp the same way, and travel time is only 30 minutes. We're looking at 6 hours round trip, which makes things a little different in my opinion

More time may be spent debating what is 72 hours than just registering folks and moving on.

For weekend outing, even long weekend (like MLK) 72 hours is stretch.  Meet at 6:30 am on Saturday and return to CO at 5:00 pm on a Monday, that is maybe 60 hours.  Most weekend trips are at best 48 hours; Friday night to Sunday afternoon.

We register anyone attending or staying at summer camps, just easier that way.  

• Upvote 1

We had this topic come up at roundtable training on YPT2. The district trainer is of the opinion that it apply''s to the whole scouting year cummively. So he wants us to Register all the parents if they want to go to anything.

Needless to say we had a robust conversation. He sticks with that's the policy as I see it. Conversation over.

You can't make this stuff up😅