Paid BSA staff on Troop Committee

So, my son’s Troop currently has an informal all girls patrol— they attend meetings and seem to function as a patrol.  They are not, to my knowledge, camping with the boys (although some siblings may come with parents?)  They will be creating/joining a linked troop in February.  That’s all fine.  I have my private thoughts about jumping the gun, but whatever.

One girl is the daughter of, I believe, our DE.  He may be the “senior DE”.  He attends all meetings she’s at in his uniform, which makes me think he’s there partially in a professional role.  We recently got an email saying (among several other things) that, while it is almost impossible for professional Scouters to join Troop Committees, they have received permission and he will be joining the Committee of the current, boy Troop. He’s joining In What I would classify as a “less intense”role— he’s not chair or treasurer. 

So— why is a paid Scouter joining the Committee frowned on?  It doesn’t make a ton of sense, to me.  

40 minutes ago, bearess said:

So— why is a paid Scouter joining the Committee frowned on?  It doesn’t make a ton of sense, to me.  

For a variety of reasons. one is that they are spending so much time on Scouting, they need non-Scout time with the family to recharge. Another reason is partiality. Sometimes DEs have to intervene in things, and a decision for the unit against another can seem like bias. Another reason is some units will defer to the DE  and not actually do things for themselves.

I admit, I ignored my boss when he told me to stop helping a unit I started. My church was the CO, and I wanted it to succeed. But my help backfired and the troop folded within a year.

Conflict of interest happens too. 

And then there's the situation where people think that something is going on, even when it doesn't. 

Or even though they are taking a minor role, because of their District role they carry more authority causing more folks to follow along than would otherwise. Even if they aren't trying to do that at all, you get the problem because it isn't them pushing their position, it's someone doing it for them. 

So yah, it can get ugly even with the best of folks and intentions. It really takes a set "just do this job and nothing else" type of mindset. A complete boxing of them doing something that doesn't push the unit in any direction other than getting something done for the unit. 

I think this falls under "it depends." A seasoned committee won't give two hoots if a member is a DE or a CSE.  When Mike Sarbaugh was our SE, and he dropped in on a council committee, it was like "Hi Mike, take a seat and don't eat all of the pizza."

Our council has pro's who are SMs and ASMs. They are good people.

Your scouts might get recruited for camp staff a little more readily, but that's about it. I would caution to not expect a pro to be your roundtable representative.He'll be quite busy with logistics and paperwork. Send the SM and other MC's to do the handshaking with other units.

• Upvote 2