Ideas for activities/games with the theme of Medieval Times

Sorry if this post is against the rules, as I am not a member of BSA but rather Polish boy scouts in America, ZHP.

Our annual summer camp is next month and I was appointed "Planner", so I must make the schedule and plan for the whole 2-week camp. The theme of the camp will be medieval times. So far, I have been able to come up with about a week of scheduling, but am running low on ideas for big activities that we could incorporate into the camp. I was hoping that you guys could give me some ideas for activities that stick with the theme of Medieval Times. So far, I have come up with doing an archery tournament, 1v1 fencing, war game involving fencing in teams of 5, jousting tournament off zip lines, and jousting in the water aka Chicken-Fighting. Any help would me much appreciated :D

You can take just about any outdoor skill and wrap it up to be any type of event. Pioneering to make a catapult. Map and compass to save the prince and princess. Start a fire to "boil pots of oil" (don't really boil oil, though). Knots to storm a castle. It's all about imagination.

I don't know if Polish scouts is different in this regard but all of your "weapon" care and use (Whitlin and Totin Chip) would be relevant here too. How to sharpen and care for a sword/axe/dagger.

How to ID plants and animals would fit. Outdoor survival techniques would fit too.

Caber tossing!

Scouts race to a log. Saw off an end at least 5' long. They get a point for every foot over 5', but they have to hold it upright and "toss" the log so that it at least flips end-over-end and they get a point for each foot the log travels. (Shorter logs generally will go further.)

Edited by qwazse
15 hours ago, SiniShadow said:

Our annual summer camp is next month and I was appointed "Planner", so I must make the schedule and plan for the whole 2-week camp.

I expect a lot more notice if I am to plan a two-week summer camp. I would politely decline the appointment.

31 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

"Bye bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!"

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

"You think they have a chance?"

"It would take a miracle."

"BYE BYE!"

Back on topic

BB Guns. Beleive it or not the first pneumatic rifles came out in the early 1500s

Pioneering is another idea. Building catapults and balistas firing waterbaloons at the other patrols.

Dungeons and Dragons themed orienteering course.

And if the witch is heavier than a duck, which means they sink in water and are thus a witch. 

Turning scouts into newts.  (they get better)

Course I'm also thinking of plague cart races.  Yes I know.  Bad Buggie.  Bad boy.  Go to the corner. Sorry I didn't really have anything helpful to add. 

4 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

"Bye bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!"

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

The scouts love jokes like that. It's just spice to aid their imaginations.

maybe you can use some ideas from here.  Their theme was Gladiators but I think it's close enough to medieval.

https://longspeakbsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/MV-IP-2018-Spring-Camporee-Leader-Guide.pdf

Somewhere during my many searches for ideas I found an old camporee link that had pics of the scouts in the roman tortoise shield formation with cardboard shields I think.  Don't remember what they were doing or what link it was but looked like a lot of fun.  Similar techniques are used in the movies to storm castles.  If you are allowed to use water balloons or garden hoses, that might make for an interesting activity and educating at the same time.  I don't see how it could be win or lose but teams of campers could try to reach a goal and stay as dry as possible.

If it is especially hot, STAY HYDRATED.  Drink the health of the King (and/or Queen?)  . All knights and squires can not refuse to drink the health of the king/queen.  

Which brings up the idea,  the Camp Director should be CROWNED with due ceremony and pomp the first day....   

Scout Skills ? Nay, "Squire School".

Nature Pavilion?  Nay,   "Herbs and Notions".

Medical Pavilion?  Nay,  "Bloodletting Site"

Give appropriate awards to the Staff Scouts :   Sir Cumspect,   Sir Pentine,  Sir Leans a lot,  Sir Cumfrence,   Lady Ladelah,  Lady Downundie,  Sir Lee,   etc.   

• Like 1

Knights and noble steeds

Knights: cardboard helmets shields and swords, heraldic decoration of same, maybe a costume for good measure.

Noble steeds: Make backpacks out of sticks lashed with twine, tie some things to it. Two hollowed out halves of coconuts.

The steed has to follow the brave knight around and be their horse.

Hunt the Holy Grail.

Maybe don't visit castle anthrax.

Design a shrubbery. A nice one. With a picket fence.

Sorry! Bring silly! I'll stop that.

Lance tests? One kid in a wheelbarrow* with a "lance" is pushed across the field and tries to catch some small hoops with their lance.

* Or sedan chair, bicycle, old pram, etc etc.

Cardboard castles.

Or cane and paper castles, then a wet sponge fight.

• Haha 1