How do you encourage Scouts who lose elections?

These replies above are great. 

One of the things I've discovered as a parent and I definitely see it necessary as a scouter is that you've got to learn how to advocate for the scout(s). The parents, the SM, the ASM, the CC, etc. Everyone involved had best be very familiar with the current guild to advancement etc. Especially for Eagle boards. 

At camp two SMs I know give the SM training for those interested. The next day one of them came and asked if I knew the answer to something that he was surprised about. He was shocked that I knew the answer that he had just learned. It's because it had been a long while since he had taken the training and I had done it this year and had been reading too. So what he used to know either has changed or got replaced with false information. You listen to other people tell you things and then you believe them because how could they be wrong? 

Often scouters get stuck in either old information or have gotten to where they think they know the answer, been told the wrong answer, or have dreamed up an answer. You've got to know your rights. Or more specific, the scout's rights according to the BSA. And don't be afraid to ask for an explanation or to take it to the next level. Eventually the appeals go on up to national if you get that far. They are going to side with the guide to advancement. They aren't going to go with somebody's made up expectation. 

• Like 1

In this instance I would think the SM has to do the advocating on behalf of the Scout.  He signed off on the Scoutmaster conference with the belief that this young man was ready.  The Scout had five people doing a Life BOR, four of whom did not know the Scout and what he has achieved outside of the requirements.  In my opinion, the guide to advancement needs to be revisited, and the SM needs to address the Unit Commissioner and CC about this boy and why, in their opinion, his leadership was considered 'marginal'.  The message given to the Scout and the chit chat among the adults seems to differ, unfortunately.

@Buggie - I have also learned that you must advocate for your own Scout.  MANY leaders are unaware of guidelines, and/or follow their own set of rules.  However, be prepared for the fallout, because when these issues are escalated many times the district wants no part of it, and they let it go.  Even if you raise it to the Council it can often be ignored.  You (and quite possibly your child) will have a black mark next to your name for trying to do things the right way, and the offender carries on.  Trust me, I know from experience.