Business Insider interview - Sylvia Acevedo, CEO GUSA

33 minutes ago, Treflienne said:

But what about this opinion piece, written by Aceveda, in USA Today last fall

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/10/24/girls-star-in-girl-scouts-supporting-players-again-in-boy-scouts-sylvia-acevedo-column/790244001/

She said "We are disappointed that Boy Scouts of America has chosen to open its program to girls in contravention of its charter, rather than focusing on the 90% of American boys not being served by Boy Scouts. We believe strongly in the importance of the safe, all-girl, girl-led and girl-friendly environment that Girl Scouts provides.  "  

Sounded defensive to me.

@Treflienne , I don't think she was defensive. She didn't bring up the competition. Someone else did. She mentioned BSA's failure to serve 90% of US boys without mentioning that GS/USA is not serving an all-season outdoor adventure to 90% of US girls. And, by pounding the "safe", "all-girl", "girl-led", and "girl-friendly" adjectives, she believes (or at least wants us to infer) that BSA is girl-unsafe, girl-unfriendly, and rife with glass ceilings that will deny girls leadership at every level. She did it without saying so. It's as good a sales pitch as any in its context.

All I ever promised high-school girls and their parents was rocks and bogs. Didn't do much for recruitment, but it was nice seeing some muddy smiles at the end of a day when that promise was delivered.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That doesn't sound defensive to my ears. Frankly, it sounds enviable. I wish Surbaugh could describe BSA in the same way: "We believe strongly in the importance of the safe, all-boy, boy-led and

She reads my posts! I called tech-enabled sashes and shirts a decade ago. However, what's interesting is that she is envisions what the shirt displays will depend on who is looking. Not su

I see what you are saying, but at least around here, a very common family model is dad and boys are active in the BSA, while mom and the girls are active in the GSUSA. So, I'm not sure you can separat

21 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

Just a coincidence, but I just got this in my email:

Welcome to the first Girl Scouts of Central Indiana newsletter focused only on one topic: The competition that Girl Scouts is experiencing in our communities from the opportunity for girls to consider joining Boy Scouts.

We need to blanket our communities with the campaign message that “Make no mistake... If your girl wants to be a scout, make sure she is a Girl Scout” image. This will start with your help. Please see ideas below for what you can do.

I missed one of the best/worst parts in my first read:

*Talk to your neighbors, friends, children, and school staff about the intentional confusion...

So the CEO of our local council is now claiming that BSA is intentionally misleading and defrauding girls into joining Cub Scouts.

6 minutes ago, qwazse said:

All I ever promised high-school girls and their parents was rocks and bogs. Didn't do much for recruitment, but it was nice seeing some muddy smiles at the end of a day when that promise was delivered.

From the parents or girls?:huh:

• Haha 1
51 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

So the CEO of our local council is now claiming that BSA is intentionally misleading and defrauding girls into joining Cub Scouts.

To be fair there have been some reports of BSA leaders claiming BSA is replacing GSUSA. I’m not sure if that’s true but it did lead to our CSE to put out a response that must be careful not to cause confusion. CSE Letter on Infringements.pdf

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

To be fair there have been some reports of BSA leaders claiming BSA is replacing GSUSA. I’m not sure if that’s true but it did lead to our CSE to put out a response that must be careful not to cause confusion. CSE Letter on Infringements.pdf

Ya, I remember reading that previously and was glad for it. That being stated, in the absence of direct evidence, a CEO of a scouting organization should probably apply Hanlon's Razor:

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

GSUSA gains nothing by accusing BSA of "intentionally misleading" even if there are some valid reports of some silly leaders getting the story wrong. You impugned all scouters with such a blanket accusation. 

I just wish the leaders would tone down the rhetoric. There are more than enough girls to go around for both organizations. We don't necessarily need to compete for the same 6-10%. We should be happy for the success of each other.

• Upvote 1

Hawkin,

You are absolutely right.  We need as many young people involved in character building organizations as possible.  The real competition is parents who don't see the need for activities like Scouting,  coupled with sports, church, etc. that helps support them in building values in their kids.  Glad to see the BSA continues to be positive about all other quality youth organizations. 

3 hours ago, Treflienne said:

We believe strongly in the importance of the safe, all-girl, girl-led and girl-friendly environment that Girl Scouts provides. Sounded defensive to me.

That doesn't sound defensive to my ears. Frankly, it sounds enviable.

I wish Surbaugh could describe BSA in the same way: "We believe strongly in the importance of the safe, all-boy, boy-led and boy-friendly environment that Boy Scouts provides".

To me, that is a focused and tailored mission.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I just got home from my local Joann Fabrics (a major national chain). While there I noticed on the front door and then repeatedly around the store, flyers and posters saying Joann's supports Girl Scouts USA. There were recruiting flyers and info up around the store as well. Then at the cashier I was asked if I'd like to donate to the GSUSA so that all girls could have a scouting experience. Then a flyer was placed in my bag to allow me to direct possible girls to the program or even more importantly telling me I could volunteer with the program. It says there are girls desperately wanting to be scouts in our area an no adults to lead them.

We don't have many girl cub scouts in the area yet but school just started 2 days ago. Time will tell. But if the Joann's campaign is a nation wide one, not a regional one then GSUSA has found a new funding source and a great recruiting technique. Not sure where it will lead the local GSUSA membership but what a marketing partnership.  The campaign with Joann's in my area will introduce the concept of the GSUSA to a lot of families that might not have sought it out. I'm in a very heavily ethnic area (Muslim and Hispanic are the main groups) and the thought of boys and girls together won't get traction. But a program for girls by women might get some notice.

Not seeing any advertising by the local BSA council for round-ups or even popcorn. So the local council might not get the girls it thought it was going to get with this campaign going.  

1 minute ago, bsaggcmom said:

... I'm in a very heavily ethnic area (Muslim and Hispanic are the main groups) and the thought of boys and girls together won't get traction. But a program for girls by women might get some notice.

Not seeing any advertising by the local BSA council for round-ups or even popcorn. So the local council might not get the girls it thought it was going to get with this campaign going.  

This is why I thought BSA4G would be better implemented after World Jamboree. We scouters could use the event learn more about various WOSM partners ... including those of nations who represent large ethnic blocks in our own communities.

BSA is definitely bottom-dollar marketing. I think we'll see heavier promotion in councils where BSA4G troops actually form. I believe our best sponsors will be industries who feel they need to more women working along side men in their field jobs (energy extraction, steel/manufacturing, military, etc ...). But, that will be a thin slice of the pie until there are female eagles crediting their scouting experience to their skill on the job.

I only know my council, but they support us with flyers, posters, etc but the boots on the ground are from the units.  Our unit ensures we are present for registration.  Our unit puts out yard signs and schedule join scouts night.  Our unit pays Facebook to post advertising posts and sends out Tweets.  Our unit obtains a Google business account and advertisers there.  Through this we get to our parents.  

What I have heard from the GSUSA leaders who joined our pack is that we are much more grass roots and “local” than Girl Scouts.  I think the personal touch of units takes more work but is more likely effective in getting the message to the youth and parents.  To me our approach is much better than stuffing flyers in bags at a corporate chain.

1 hour ago, gblotter said:

That doesn't sound defensive to my ears. Frankly, it sounds enviable.

You missed the first part of the quote, where she was criticizing BSA:

4 hours ago, Treflienne said:

She said "We are disappointed that Boy Scouts of America has chosen to open its program to girls in contravention of its charter, rather than focusing on the 90% of American boys not being served by Boy Scouts. We believe strongly in the importance of the safe, all-girl, girl-led and girl-friendly environment that Girl Scouts provides.  " 

I heard a certain amount of defensiveness also at our GSUSA council's "town hall meeting" back in May.   As Hawkin said, "If you really don't fear your competition, you don't mention them. "

6 minutes ago, Treflienne said:

You missed the first part of the quote, where she was criticizing BSA: She said "We are disappointed that Boy Scouts of America has chosen to open its program to girls in contravention of its charter, rather than focusing on the 90% of American boys not being served by Boy Scouts.

I share her disappointment and I echo her criticism of BSA.

Edited by gblotter

path-to-the-stars-cover.jpg

"At Girl Scouts we're always looking to be even more relevant to girls," she said. "But let me tell you, there's a mobile device in each one of their hands and we want girls not just to be users of technology but creators, inventors, designers. The world is being remade around data and we want girls to be part of that."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/girl-scouts-ceo-sylvia-acevedo-learned-from-selling-cookies/

On 9/6/2018 at 1:32 PM, Hawkwin said:

Sounds like somebody is afraid for her job. 

I've never met a girl scout who's girl scout troop was heavily involved in outdoor programming. The girls that were interested in that sort of stuff joined Venturing as soon as possible. Letting girls in the Boy Scouts is a chance to grab some of those girls, who if the Boy Scouts don't allow girls, may drop out of Girl Scouts in late elementary school and never return to Scouting at all before they are eligible to go to Venturing. 

The type of girls who would be joining boy scouts are not interested in the program that most girl scout troops provide. I don't think Girl Scout Professional leadership has any intention of changing their program, and why should they? The GSUSA has more members than the Boy Scouts. They're clearly meeting the desires of most of their demographic. 

We'll see if the BSA attempts to become more like the GSUSA, and how that effects the type of program the BSA promotes. Those of us who favor a patrol method type program may end up "off the reservation" much like some of the Troops didn't want to roll along with the "Improved" Scouting Program is the 70s. We'll see.