Business Insider interview - Sylvia Acevedo, CEO GUSA

Imagine a smart,  focused, on program, real world experienced  business leader leading a youth organization...

from wiki

Shortly after graduating from New Mexico State University, Acevedo began working for NASA at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory as a rocket scientist, developing programs for the Voyager 2 and analyzing data from the probe. She eventually left NASA to attend graduate school. During her time at Stanford, she worked at IBM as an engineer to help pay for her tuition. After graduating, she joined Apple as a technology executive for the Asia-Pacific region.[6] She has also worked in an executive capacity for Dell and Autodesk. Under her tenure, the Girl Scouts introduced a series of badges in robotics, coding, engineering, and cybersecurity.[

...Acevedo says the BSA will never compete with the opportunities the Girl Scouts offer and...

What I know about Girl Scouts is we have a hundred years of girl expertise. We know how to teach girls important life skills. We know how to create women leaders. When we look at our life results of our alumni, you know, three-fourths of our female senators were Girl Scouts. All three female secretaries of state, Girl Scouts.

When I go to Silicon Valley, almost every female tech leader who was born in the US, she was a Girl Scout. Almost every female astronaut that's gone into space is a Girl Scout. So we know what works. Especially right now in the time of American competitiveness, we know that girls are an untapped resource and especially in technology, we need to reach more girls with those skills so that they find that technology is an interesting area, but not just interesting. That they have the skills to make an impact in the technical space. And we find that in particular in terms of defense of America.

We have this huge skills gap and it's absolutely paramount that we get more women who have the technical background to excel so that they can help keep America safe in terms of our electrical grid, our voting systems, our financial systems, cybersecurity. It's absolutely crucial and we know that we can do that by getting girls interested in it through Girl Scouts.

You know, what's so great about Girl Scouts is, I like to say, we're a hundred-plus-year-old organization and we've got one hand rooted firmly in tradition, right? But the other hand is reaching out to the future as well. We teach girls leadership and life skills. And yes, we have a huge emphasis on the outdoors. But we recognize that every girl now has a mobile device in her hands and we want her not just to be a user of that device, but we want her to be the inventor, the creator, the designer, the entrepreneur, the lawyer, the marketer, around that. And so what we've started to do is really give girls those important skills. So as the world is being redesigned around data, they've got the skillset to really be part of creating our future.

More text and audio at source link: 

http://www.businessinsider.com/girl-scouts-ceo-sylvia-acevedo-not-worried-about-co-ed-boy-scouts-2018-6

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That doesn't sound defensive to my ears. Frankly, it sounds enviable. I wish Surbaugh could describe BSA in the same way: "We believe strongly in the importance of the safe, all-boy, boy-led and

She reads my posts! I called tech-enabled sashes and shirts a decade ago. However, what's interesting is that she is envisions what the shirt displays will depend on who is looking. Not su

I see what you are saying, but at least around here, a very common family model is dad and boys are active in the BSA, while mom and the girls are active in the GSUSA. So, I'm not sure you can separat

15 minutes ago, David CO said:

Not true. 

David, 

As Ben Kenobi once said, "from a certain point of view...." Ms. Avecdo may firmly beleive that the GSUSA does have a "huge emphasis on the outdoors" since 15-20% of their membership will go on at least one overnight camping trip per year according to a GSUSA statement on the topic. So she may feel that 1 weekend a year is a huge outdoor emphasis. I know that one of the reasons why girls quit GSUSA in my areas is the lack of camping.

What I found hilarious was the statement where they said they are experts on the outdoors, then hired The North Face company to create a bunch of new outdoor MBs for them.

On 6/23/2018 at 8:15 AM, RememberSchiff said:

We know how to create women leaders. When we look at our life results of our alumni, you know, three-fourths of our female senators were Girl Scouts. All three female secretaries of state, Girl Scouts.

When I go to Silicon Valley, almost every female tech leader who was born in the US, she was a Girl Scout. Almost every female astronaut that's gone into space is a Girl Scout. So we know what works.

Correlation is not causation.

Causation could flow in a different direction.  The same families and communities that had the resources to provide ample educational opportunities for their girls may also have been the ones who had the resources (in money but especially in time) to get the girl scout troops organized. 

Edited by Treflienne
trying to be a bit clearer
  • 2 months later...

From 9/5/2108 NPR interview:

In the book (her new book Path to the Stars) , you talk a lot about perseverance. Can you give an example of something you overcame?

I’ll tell you about my high school counselor. When she looked at me she saw a female, but she saw a Hispanic girl. And so she said, “girls like you don’t go to college.” But you know what? Water off a duck’s back! I showed her.

So don’t let anyone dissuade you with words. Don’t let anyone say you don’t belong. Don’t let anyone do that. Being a rocket scientist was my dream, but everyone has their own dream. I hope girls read this book and get the message, you can live your dreams.

What are some things you’re hoping to bring to the Girl Scouts? What does the future look like?

Well, when girls are earning different badges they have all those job skills that are tied directly to what they’ve learned. So imagine, as you earn those badges, that a digital resume is created. So that when you’re going to an employer that you’re able to present your Girl Scout experience in a way that can get you hired. You’ve run your own business, you have made a budget, have great customer service.

We’re also really excited about re-imagining how girls represent their affiliation with Girl Scouts. So we don’t even want to define ourselves by uniform. And right now there is a revolution going on in fashion and clothing and wearables. Imagine if we have technology embedded in a shirt. And when you came to another girl that was a Girl Scout that it would identify them. It’s such a great time to be a Girl Scout.

More text and audio at source:

https://news.wbhm.org/npr_story_post/2018/from-poverty-to-rocket-scientist-to-ceo-a-girl-scouts-inspiring-story/

She reads my posts!

... Imagine if we have technology embedded in a shirt. And when you came to another girl that was a Girl Scout that it would identify them. ...

I called tech-enabled sashes and shirts a decade ago.

However, what's interesting is that she is envisions what the shirt displays will depend on who is looking. Not sure how that makes it a great time to be a GS, but it's interesting.

Edited by qwazse
  • Upvote 1
On 6/23/2018 at 9:19 AM, Eagle94-A1 said:

David, 

As Ben Kenobi once said, "from a certain point of view...." Ms. Avecdo may firmly beleive that the GSUSA does have a "huge emphasis on the outdoors" since 15-20% of their membership will go on at least one overnight camping trip per year according to a GSUSA statement on the topic. So she may feel that 1 weekend a year is a huge outdoor emphasis. I know that one of the reasons why girls quit GSUSA in my areas is the lack of camping.

While Mrs. Barry was a GS leaders, I talked to a lot of the families. It wasn't so much that girls wanted more camping, they were got tired of the cabin type of camping. At least in our area. I'm not sure tent camping would change the GSUSA all that much because while they saw tent camping as more romantic, it wasn't something they wanted every month. Now of course there are the few that would love it, but I didn't get the feeling that was a majority desire.

The other part of the GSUSA that drove a few girls away is the independence the girls were given (I mean weren't given) in their activities. Adult run doesn't even begin to describe how the troops work. Girls are given so little opportunity for independent thought (much less decision making) that my wife was embarrassed to be associated with the organization. She said girls weren't ever allowed to leave their group at summer camp and they had to be led by their adult leaders everywhere. That more than anything drove my wife away.

My wife believed if dads were allowed to assist leading the GS troops, the GSUSA would be more popular. Males are just more adapt with outdoor scouting. Her words, not mine. Me, I agree with what ever the politically correct members on this forum feel at the moment.:D

Barry

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:15 AM, RememberSchiff said:

...Acevedo says the BSA will never compete with the opportunities the Girl Scouts offer and...

Anyone that has to openly present a defense from the competition has already partially lost the battle.

If you really don't fear your competition, you don't mention them. Her post is covered in false bravado. She doesn't mention any other organization because she rightly doesn't view them as valid competition. The fact that she mentions BSA at all - and then with such absolutes - tells me that she in fact does fear Scouts BSA.

Pretty standard stuff here; and I am rather surprised that this otherwise very intelligent lady doesn't know this.

Don’t mention your competitors.

Even mentioning your competition is a bad idea.

When you mention your competition, you introduce an unexpected variable into the customer’s thinking.

Before you mentioned Competitor A, the customer:

• May not have known about the competition
  • May not have thought about the competition

Now, your customer is wondering why you mentioned them. Are they better? Is there something that I don’t know about them? Maybe I should check them out!

When you mention the competition, you introduce cognitive friction — “any variable, website quality, or user behavior trend that is slowing down (or entirely halting) the progression of your company’s sales cycle” (definition source).

Online marketing veterans know and fear the constant reality of friction. The best way to avoid this type of competitive friction is to leave off any mention of your competitors.

I'm frankly surprised at the derision of GSUSA by some on this thread. I would expect those who are pro BSA4G would be supportive of all Scouting opportunities for our daughters. Who ever said BSA is uniquely qualified to carry the torch of true Scouting? Frankly, it seems quite petty and unScoutlike to deride and dismiss the efforts of GSUSA to craft a Scouting program uniquely tailored for girls.

Girls love GSUSA,  it is run in a way that the girls like. Around here there are at least 3 times more Girl Scouts than Boy Scouts. 

Of course I live in the mountains and it is a scouting paradise and the girls get to camp and hike and do all sorts of outdoor stuff.

GSUSA really does care about running a program that the girls like.

I am part of the GSUSA myself and I see BSA changing bit by bit to be more like the GSUSA. 

31 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

Anyone that has to openly present a defense from the competition has already partially lost the battle.

If you really don't fear your competition, you don't mention them. Her post is covered in false bravado. She doesn't mention any other organization because she rightly doesn't view them as valid competition. The fact that she mentions BSA at all - and then with such absolutes - tells me that she in fact does fear Scouts BSA.

Pretty standard stuff here; and I am rather surprised that this otherwise very intelligent lady doesn't know this.

I only skimmed the transcript, but, I never read her directly mention the BSA.  The interviewer seems to have brought up the topic.

1 minute ago, cocomax said:

I am part of the GSUSA myself and I see BSA changing bit by bit to be more like the GSUSA. 

Perspectives differ. My daughter is scheduled to camp with her GS troop for the very first time (my daughter has been in GS for six years) and one of the parents - not the girls - is already talking about cancelling the camp out because it might rain.

One never needs access to the mountains to enjoy the great outdoors and I doubt there are many populated places in the entire USA that are not within an hour drive of a decent hiking location.

I am very pleased to see all the changes GSUSA is making around their program to have a greater focus on STEM and the outdoors - something BSA did, or has been doing, for a much longer time. As the article states, GS was not planning to even roll out their recent changes until 2025. GSUSA is clearly moving in a better direction.

17 minutes ago, gblotter said:

I'm frankly surprised at the derision of GSUSA by some on this thread. I would expect those who are pro BSA4G would be supportive of all Scouting opportunities for our daughters. Who ever said BSA is uniquely qualified to carry the torch of true Scouting? Frankly, it seems quite petty and unScoutlike to deride and dismiss the efforts of GSUSA to craft a Scouting program uniquely tailored for girls.

Let's not confuse personal experiences and observations with pettiness. How does the saying go;  All Scouting is Local. My boy run mentor was a women who was the equivalent of the Scouting Executive in two different states. She quit GS and joined the BSA for her son because the GSUSA was run so badly in our area. I can assure you that what I pass along is experience, not unscoutlike pettyness. 

Barry

7 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

I only skimmed the transcript, but, I never read her directly mention the BSA.  The interviewer seems to have brought up the topic.

The edited transcripts states, "The Boy Scouts is becoming co-ed, but Acevedo says they'll never compete with the opportunities the Girl Scouts offer. "

It is possible that the interviewer simply editorialized that bit of hyperbole. It is also possible that it is part of the audio or that it was simply edited out of both. I honestly don't know.

I do know that if I was Acevedo and I didn't really make such a definitive statement about my competition, I would ask the interviewer to print a retraction. It is entirely possible that this was just sloppy and biased writing on the part of the interviewer. But, the following paragraph does seem to follow as a defense of the above claim.

Edited by Hawkwin