• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They keep harping on Eagle and he just shuts down.  He is almost to Life rank now but isn't interested.  I frankly just want him happy, drives me crazy people are so focused on Eagle.

My son decided on joining a ship.  He looked at two of them and choose the one that mainly sails sunfish and other small boats.  He really liked the amount of freedom and control he was given.  They c

Oliver Perry also served on and commanded boats in the Mediterranean Sea, the West Indies and the Caribbean - I think he earned his sea chops. It could also be said that Lake Erie is an arm of th

Our troop has an affiliated ship. Same number as the troop meet same night and location as us. A number of the troop are also Sea Scouts. Many, like my son, move to the ship when they age out.

It's nice to have the older guys still around, and we've built high adventure crews(Phil, NT, Sea Base) from a mix of the troop and ship.

1 hour ago, mashmaster said:

I talked at length with a skipper of another Ship today.  He mentioned that, and said that they will help remind the boys that they can still do this.  I was surprised, when he told me the camp too.  I thought they only did activities on the water.

1 hour ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

HAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHA! Sea Scouts are Scouts too and will camp. ;)  My Long Cruise consisted of camping out on an island.

Camping is just cruising on very slow moving waves of earth. : 🏕️ = : 🏝️

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my son has met with two ships this week and he is taking to the sailing like a duck to water.  He just glows when he is on the water.  The skippers talk about advancement and he shuts down so that will come at some point in time or not.  He is happy which is awesome!  He is excited to make the next events!

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

Well, my son has met with two ships this week and he is taking to the sailing like a duck to water.  He just glows when he is on the water.  The skippers talk about advancement and he shuts down so that will come at some point in time or not.  He is happy which is awesome!  He is excited to make the next events!

If they are active, advancement will come naturally. At least for Apprentice and Ordinary.

50 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

If they are active, advancement will come naturally. At least for Apprentice and Ordinary.

They keep harping on Eagle and he just shuts down.  He is almost to Life rank now but isn't interested.  I frankly just want him happy, drives me crazy people are so focused on Eagle.

• Upvote 3

Understood. My uncle harped on me to get Eagle. I would not push him, and he may change his mind.

We have one Scout who was only interested in earning First Class so he could go on the AT. Now at 16 years and 11 months, wants to earn Eagle. He went to an Eagle COH and it inspired him.

• 2 weeks later...

Oliver Perry also served on and commanded boats in the Mediterranean Sea, the West Indies and the Caribbean - I think he earned his sea chops.

It could also be said that Lake Erie is an arm of the sea.

Back in 1987, as part of the America's Cup competitions, the Heart of America, sponsored by the Chicago Yacht Club and practicing on Lake Michigan, competed in the Louis Vuitton Cup.  The rules of the America's Cup required all boats to practice on the sea.  The Heart of America went to the New York Supreme Court and got the court to agree that because of it's connection to the St. Lawrence Seaway, Lake Michigan is an arm of the sea and therefore the Heart of America was practicing, for the intents of the America's Cup, on a sea.   If Lake Michigan is an arm of the sea because of its connection to the St. Lawrence Seaway via Lake Ontario, then surely Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Superior is an arm of the sea.  And if these lakes are all arms of the sea, then surely lakes like Lake St. Clair, Lake Nipigon, Lake Winnebago, Lake Nipissing and Lake Simco, which are all connected to the Great Lakes via river systems, are all arms of the sea.  And if that's the case, the any other lake connected via river systems connected to the Great Lakes - either directly or through other connections, are arms of the sea. 

And if that's the case, then we can take it to its ridiculous extreme by saying that Lake Nokomis in Minnesota is an arm of the sea because it is connected to Minnehaha Creek which is a tributary of the Mississippi River and the Mississippi River and Lake Michigan are connected via rivers in Illinois and a canal that connects the river system to the lake.

:D

• Haha 2
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:22 PM, CalicoPenn said:

Oliver Perry also served on and commanded boats in the Mediterranean Sea, the West Indies and the Caribbean - I think he earned his sea chops.

Back in 1987, as part of the America's Cup competitions, the Heart of America, sponsored by the Chicago Yacht Club and practicing on Lake Michigan, competed in the Louis Vuitton Cup.  The rules of the America's Cup required all boats to practice on the sea.  The Heart of America went to the New York Supreme Court and got the court to agree that because of it's connection to the St. Lawrence Seaway, Lake Michigan is an arm of the sea and therefore the Heart of America was practicing, for the intents of the America's Cup, on a sea.   If Lake Michigan is an arm of the sea because of its connection to the St. Lawrence Seaway via Lake Ontario, then surely Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Superior is an arm of the sea.  And if these lakes are all arms of the sea, then surely lakes like Lake St. Clair, Lake Nipigon, Lake Winnebago, Lake Nipissing and Lake Simco, which are all connected to the Great Lakes via river systems, are all arms of the sea.  And if that's the case, the any other lake connected via river systems connected to the Great Lakes - either directly or through other connections, are arms of the sea. 

And if that's the case, then we can take it to its ridiculous extreme by saying that Lake Nokomis in Minnesota is an arm of the sea because it is connected to Minnehaha Creek which is a tributary of the Mississippi River and the Mississippi River and Lake Michigan are connected via rivers in Illinois and a canal that connects the river system to the lake.

This is like Otter's speech in Animal House defending the Deltas.  :D

• Upvote 1
On 7/12/2018 at 3:22 PM, CalicoPenn said:

Point of Order please, the Commodore never served on nor commanded a boat.....Please. :)

23 minutes ago, 69RoadRunner said:

This is like Otter's speech in Animal House defending the Deltas.  :D

Otter:  "Take it easy, I'm pre-law."

Boon:  "I thought you were pre-med."

Otter:  "What's the difference?"

Edited by desertrat77
  • Haha 2
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:22 PM, CalicoPenn said:

My bath tub empties out into a sewer system which, after treatment, empties into a river system, which flows to the gulf. So me and my rubber ducky are officially seafaring men.  Argh, shiver me timbers!

• Upvote 1