• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They keep harping on Eagle and he just shuts down.  He is almost to Life rank now but isn't interested.  I frankly just want him happy, drives me crazy people are so focused on Eagle.

My son decided on joining a ship.  He looked at two of them and choose the one that mainly sails sunfish and other small boats.  He really liked the amount of freedom and control he was given.  They c

Oliver Perry also served on and commanded boats in the Mediterranean Sea, the West Indies and the Caribbean - I think he earned his sea chops. It could also be said that Lake Erie is an arm of th

We're talking about the same thing. I assumed it was under venturing. 

Anyway, it's like a crew only they focus on water craft. If you can find one that's we'll run then it sounds like your son might enjoy it. He can still be in the troop. 

If there's an active ship nearby, it may be well worth his time.

And @MattR, you would have been right a couple of years ago. For a while, Sea Scouts was put under the Venturing division. Then it move back to being its own thing. No clue why.

It is possible to have a venturing crew that boats a lot. (E.g. Canoe Trails.) The differences would be the advancement structure, uniforming, and probably the dedication to maintaining their own vessel(s).

He might also consider something completely different like Civil Air Patrol. I've seen a couple of scouts really enjoy moving on to that.

24 minutes ago, qwazse said:

If there's an active ship nearby, it may be well worth his time.

And @MattR, you would have been right a couple of years ago. For a while, Sea Scouts was put under the Venturing division. Then it move back to being its own thing. No clue why.

It is possible to have a venturing crew that boats a lot. (E.g. Canoe Trails.) The differences would be the advancement structure, uniforming, and probably the dedication to maintaining their own vessel(s).

He might also consider something completely different like Civil Air Patrol. I've seen a couple of scouts really enjoy moving on to that.

There is a ship near by, they have 7 sailboats and 10 active scouts 🙂  We are going to sail with the skipper at the end of the month.  

Civil Air Patrol?  Tell me more about that.

34 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

There is a ship near by, they have 7 sailboats and 10 active scouts 🙂  We are going to sail with the skipper at the end of the month.  

Civil Air Patrol?  Tell me more about that.

I don't know much about it. A friend of mine whose son joined a local chapter because of Boy Scout burn-out told me that the boy really enjoyed it. Another youth explained some of the search and rescue drills he and his sister would go on. In the process they earn ranks that sound a lot like military grades. I gauge the quality of a program by the enthusiasm of the youth in it. This kid was happier than the kid who once bragged to me about being allowed to cruise around town in his dad's Ferrari. But, he was not as on-cloud-nine as most kids who I've met after coming from mission trips. So, it has a good ranking towards the front of the pack in my mind.

I think your son will be pleased with the ship you're going to visit. Many local sailing clubs also have youth programs. Are you near any dive shops? Some of them are connected with swift water rescue teams, and those guys play with some awesome "toys."

This is really the point of the HA's -- to widen a scout's vision. Hopefully he'll have time to share some experiences with his troop.

• Like 1

With the right ship,

SEA SCOUTS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got burned out/bored with Boy Scouts after earning Eagle. I joined Sea Scouts for a while and had a blast. But the ship I was in has some issues, and I rediscovered the OA. Now if I would have went to a neighboring ship, which would have included a 90 minute roundtrip drive, I probably would have stayed with it. They had a very active program, had several Quartermasters come out of them, and one National Boatswain.

The second ship I joined as a "volunteer" was great. had an active program and did a lot.

If he decides to transfer to the ship, and is not Eagle yet, he can work on it still, as well as the Sea Scout ranks. Just cannot "double dip" on requirements, i.e. Tenure as a ship's officer cannot count for both Eagle and Quartermaster.

Me personally, I think QM is harder to earn than Eagle.

17 hours ago, Rick_in_CA said:

The Civil Air Patrol is the official civilian auxiliary of the United States Air Force. It includes a cadet program for youth ages 12 to 21.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Air_Patrol

Navy has a similar program if it's water that's got him interested, http://www.seacadets.org/.  I've known a few former sailors that enjoyed working with youth in that program.

17 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

If he decides to transfer to the ship, and is not Eagle yet, he can work on it still, as well as the Sea Scout ranks. Just cannot "double dip" on requirements, i.e. Tenure as a ship's officer cannot count for both Eagle and Quartermaster.

Me personally, I think QM is harder to earn than Eagle.

I talked at length with a skipper of another Ship today.  He mentioned that, and said that they will help remind the boys that they can still do this.  I was surprised, when he told me the camp too.  I thought they only did activities on the water.