Its my understanding that a unit should not solicit donations from businesses that would directly benefit the unit.  Is that correct?

I am planning a bicycle rodeo that will serve to promote safety and skills.  This started out just for the pack, but I have contacted the local PD for their assistance to make this more of a community event that will benefit everyone.  Would it be proper to solicit donations of stuff like helmets as a giveaway items? 

1 hour ago, 5thGenTexan said:

Its my understanding that a unit should not solicit donations from businesses that would directly benefit the unit.

I'm not sure what you mean. How does a business directly benefit any unit? Is your CO the PD? If so, go ahead and ask and just let them know you're fine if they say no. They may have money set aside for making donations and they might think it's a great idea.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

Its my understanding that a unit should not solicit donations from businesses that would directly benefit the unit.  Is that correct?

I am planning a bicycle rodeo that will serve to promote safety and skills.  This started out just for the pack, but I have contacted the local PD for their assistance to make this more of a community event that will benefit everyone.  Would it be proper to solicit donations of stuff like helmets as a giveaway items? 

For me, so long as you are following the same principles that Council fundraising would, you shouldn't feel you are "in the wrong".  Don't give any impression that the BSA (or the unit) is endorsing a particular product, and do not have them any type of a "raffle" giveaway. You could have a "sweepstakes", where it doesn't cost money to enter the drawing, or you could have them as auction items- provided the donor is on board with all proceeds going to the unit.  We have done things like this in the past.

"Helmets donated by the Able Bicycle Company".   "Bike Rodeo organized by  Troop XYZ, West Muddy Branch Colorado"   Doesn't benefit  the Troop, benefits the Public.  Go for it.... Set up a donation bucket for the local League of American Bicyclists chapter....   ask them for help !

• Upvote 1