Another Committee Chair Resignation...

We have been with our Troop for approximately 18 months, and the third Committee Chair has resigned.  The COR is involved but from my observations, it would seem that the SM influences them to endorse individuals who do not have strong leadership qualities.  The last two have been disastrous, with zero leadership, no control of meetings, no meeting agendas, etc.  I have to believe that the SM selects these people so they will not offer him any challenges, and will just do as he says.  Our SM is wonderful with the boys and is a very approachable guy but the Committee is very frustrated and disorganized....

You are right, the SM has a lot of influence here if he allowed. It's all about personalities. How strong is the COR? How do you fit in? The  best way to get the right person in any position is to personally recruit a qualified person. Someone (maybe you) needs to act one step a head of the SM and recruit a qualified CC and present them to the COR to accept. 

There are preferred ways of doing business to be successful, but I found that volunteer organizations are reactionary and tend to go first come first serve instead. And, that is why personalities drive the program instead of qualified expertise.

Someone has to step up to pushing the preferred method of doing business. If you aren't that person, do you know who is?

Barry

• Upvote 3
5 hours ago, CalicoPenn said:

You mention that the Committee is frustrated - is there perhaps someone on the committee willing to step up to the plate and take on the role?

I was thinking the same thing.  Maybe someone who understands the importance of meeting agendas, running orderly meetings, etc.  Not mentioning any names.

6 hours ago, FaithfulScouter said:

We have been with our Troop for approximately 18 months, and the third Committee Chair has resigned.  The COR is involved but from my observations, it would seem that the SM influences them to endorse individuals who do not have strong leadership qualities.  The last two have been disastrous, with zero leadership, no control of meetings, no meeting agendas, etc.  I have to believe that the SM selects these people so they will not offer him any challenges, and will just do as he says.  Our SM is wonderful with the boys and is a very approachable guy but the Committee is very frustrated and disorganized....

It is much harder to find a good scoutmaster. If he is wonderful with the boys, you shouldn't do or say anything that might make his job more difficult. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, David CO said:

It is much harder to find a good scoutmaster. If he is wonderful with the boys, you shouldn't do or say anything that might make his job more difficult. 

A well working and organized committee will make the scoutmasters job easier not more difficult. A good scoutmaster should just hire you have a strong and organized committee chair. Any scoutmaster that once a week committee to ensure no one challenges his opinion is a warning sign in my book.

I just wish my CC/COR would get involved. All he is interested in is BORs. Since I've been in the troop, outside of BORs, Scout Sunday, and the late SM's funeral, I've seen him twice at Scouting functions. And they were not even the parents/committee meetings. I do know one ASM is glad for the situation as he does not like the CC/COR. He says he likes things without the interference. But without a CC and active committee, we are having issues.

Our fundraising efforts have either been hijacked by the new parents. They wanted every patrol to have all new equipment, when we still have serviceable equipment, instead of using funds for sending Scouts to summer camp. And the fundraising attempts to send Scouts to camp have been horrible. One had so many issues, that it has taken 2.5 months to resolve. Another fundraiser was given 2 weeks notice, and then it was a night 1/2 the troop was not in attendance due to Easter Break. A camp out was cancelled for this last minute fundraiser, and it was cancelled a few days before due to low ticket sales. Kinda glad because the folks organizing it did not coordinate with the CO. They had their fundraiser, which was the same thing we were going to do, the same weekend and location! And a 3rd fundraiser, one that had great participation AND made some money last year, was not even organized. We are now scrambling to find camperships for at least 3 Scouts.

Summer camp paperwork is in shambles. No one on the committee took on that responsibility. No one knows how much they owe, what paperwork is needed, when things are due, etc.

We have advancement record keeping issues. Stuff is not getting recorded by the council, and they have lost paperwork. If I had not called the council on another issue, and then asked about the status of our Eagle application, we would not have known that the "never received the paperwork [Troop's Eagle]." talking to the district advancement chairman, he sent the application and 2 others all at the same time.

Edited by Eagle94-A1
4 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I just wish my CC/COR would get involved. All he is interested in is BORs. Since I've been in the troop, outside of BORs, Scout Sunday, and the late SM's funeral, I've seen him twice at Scouting functions. And they were not even the parents/committee meetings. I do know one ASM is glad for the situation as he does not like the CC/COR. He says he likes things without the interference. But without a CC and active committee, we are having issues.

Our fundraising efforts have either been hijacked by the new parents. They wanted every patrol to have all new equipment, when we still have serviceable equipment, instead of using funds for sending Scouts to summer camp. And the fundraising attempts to send Scouts to camp have been horrible. One had so many issues, that it has taken 2.5 months to resolve. Another fundraiser was given 2 weeks notice, and then it was a night 1/2 the troop was not in attendance due to Easter Break. A camp out was cancelled for this last minute fundraiser, and it was cancelled a few days before due to low ticket sales. Kinda glad because the folks organizing it did not coordinate with the CO. They had their fundraiser, which was the same thing we were going to do, the same weekend and location! And a 3rd fundraiser, one that had great participation AND made some money last year, was not even organized. We are now scrambling to find camperships for at least 3 Scouts.

Summer camp paperwork is in shambles. No one on the committee took on that responsibility. No one knows how much they owe, what paperwork is needed, when things are due, etc.

We have advancement record keeping issues. Stuff is not getting recorded by the council, and they have lost paperwork. If I had not called the council on another issue, and then asked about the status of our Eagle application, we would not have known that the "never received the paperwork [Troop's Eagle]." talking to the district advancement chairman, he sent the application and 2 others all at the same time.

I would never cancel a scheduled campout for a fundraiser. 

• Upvote 3

Wow.  Sounds familiar.  I don't have any advice but you have my sympathy for what its worth.  These types of situations are why my family stepped back from scouts and the reason I found this forum to begin with.  We were dedicated and it was not easy but decided that our ethics and sanity were not going to be compromised by others. 

We turned one camp out into a fundraising camp out. The entire troop was suppose to stay overnight 2 nights, but since it was in town, folks came and went. I was burned out by the camporee nightmare, and skipped it.

Last months camp out was cancelled for the funrdaiser, then cancelled altogether

That's such a difficult situation.  I was all ready to step up as CC when our current said she was stepping down.  Then she didn't, and the pack is really limping along without strong leadership from either her or the Cubmaster.  I tried to find various ways to help, but there's some kind of weird power struggle going on, and the two of them aren't open to any suggestions.  One of our best den leaders offered to be Assistant Cubmaster, and was told 'no'.  A little while later, that position was taken off the list of open positions, but no one can (or will) say who filled it.  In the end, we switched to another pack when it became clear that the COR wasn't going to get involved.

Edited by swilliams

Reason I have not left yet are first and foremost my sons do not want to transfer. Their friends are in the troop, and they do not want to leave them behind. But they know the option to transfer is there.

The other reason I have not left is "my Scouts." Members of two of my old Cub Scout dens are in the troop. And I have Scouts who I was the CSDC PD  and/or Shooting sports director for. I do not want to abandon them.

Finally I do not want to destroy the troop. I hate to say it, but I think if my boys leave, 1/2 the troop will follow. And these are the 1/2 that are into Scouting, not being forced by their parents to be Scouts.

On 6/20/2018 at 9:41 AM, Eagledad said:

You are right, the SM has a lot of influence here if he allowed. It's all about personalities. How strong is the COR? How do you fit in? The  best way to get the right person in any position is to personally recruit a qualified person. Someone (maybe you) needs to act one step a head of the SM and recruit a qualified CC and present them to the COR to accept. 

There are preferred ways of doing business to be successful, but I found that volunteer organizations are reactionary and tend to go first come first serve instead. And, that is why personalities drive the program instead of qualified expertise.

Someone has to step up to pushing the preferred method of doing business. If you aren't that person, do you know who is?

Barry

On 6/20/2018 at 9:41 AM, Eagledad said:

Barry

Hi Barry,

The COR had been absent from the Troop for the last year or so.  That person is now back, and is quite knowledgeable.  I am an active Committee Member, although I do not have a specific position.  Our last two Committee Chairs were the parents of brand new (5th grade) Boy Scouts, so in my opinion, their inexperience combined with their lack of organizational skills negatively impacted their performance.  

I could not agree with you more about the 'first come first serve' comment!  In theory the CO should be involved,  and should vet and recommend a volunteer for a Committee role.  That does not happen, and that is why we are in the situation we are in, with two Committee vacancies.  I would volunteer for one of these, but I do not feel I have 'the nod' from the SM, and therefore I am hesitant to step into the position.  If my gut instinct is right, the father of yet another fifth grade parent is being groomed, so here we go again, unless the COR steps in...