• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We get that a lot! The place is vast. But, the black rasberries are in, and it's worth hiking some distance to the sweeter ones. @Sentinel947's scout who works as an EMT at one of the basecamps s

Visiting WSJ was a great time! It was the first time I've visited the Summit, and I was able to forget about the debt and it being a financial albatross for a few hours. As a visitor to WSJ it's hard

One of mine sent me some photos of New York where most of the UK Contingent went for a day or so pre-Jamboree. It looked New Yorkey, and like they were having fun. The bits of the opening ceremon

Posted Images

4 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

Ah, the standard Wednesday summer camp question:  "Have you showered or changed clothes yet this week?"; followed by the Friday night declaration:  "Anyone who expects to get in my car tomorrow MUST shower tonight!"

Please tell me you do not plan on losing that many cups while at WSJ! 😂

This is one of my favourite scout photos. Taken on the way home from our 2016 summer camp. Not a great photo in itself but the memories! We were on a public service bus that stopped outside the campsite that took us to the railway station. The scouts themselves weren't too bad, they had all showered. The problem was their clothes. We'd cooked on fires all week and absolutely everything stank of wood smoke. An awful lot of people got up and moved seats to get away from us! Made me chuckle :)

Started seeing photos yesterday of the Australia contingent on their way, nice hats and "green and gold"* daysacks. And the obligatory airport shot of 100s of identical holdalls in lines.

I'm getting excited by proxy!

* looked more like green and a vivid fluorescent yellow to me but...

'Skip, missing the photo, but love the image in my head!

In other news, I delivered troop t-shirts delivered to the last of our scouts.

Because I only have a dozen other more important things on my list for the next 72 hours, I started working on my drying "rack". Fishing stand + 20 feet of para-chord.

• Like 1

"Fifty years after NASA astronaut and Eagle Scout Neil Armstrong sent greetings from space to participants of the 1969 National Scout Jamboree, NASA astronaut Drew Morgan will inspire a new generation of Scouts directly from the International Space Station as he answers questions posed by Scouts attending the World Scout Jamboree at Summit Bechtel Reserve in West Virginia at 1:30 p.m. EDT on July 24."

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/scouting-inspires-new-generation-to-reach-for-the-stars-while-celebrating-iconic-connection-to-the-1969-historic-moon-landing-300888187.html

I hope there are SOME Scouts left in the rest of the world....

I am missing the WSJ because at least some of that time  I will be in Belgium and Netherlands with LW while she pursues her muse.   As a late awakened talent painter ( nice sense of color) wife Margo has discovered Van Gogh.  I will (among other things) be looking for Scouty things along the way while she indulges in painting classes and touring Van Gogh sites.

Fair weather, Summit.  

Edited by SSScout
  • Thanks 1

One of mine sent me some photos of New York where most of the UK Contingent went for a day or so pre-Jamboree. It looked New Yorkey, and like they were having fun.

The bits of the opening ceremony I saw were pretty impressive! Not just the drone show but mainly the 45,000 scouts from 150+ countries all together. The flags and the joy and the enthusiasm, all rather uplifting.

Then I saw a picture showing how big the place is, one of the three Surrey Unit's site in the photo, and the other unit by some distant tower near the horizon in the photo, and the other apparently an hour's walk in the other direction. Crikey!

• Upvote 2

I have heard very little from my son,  Seems to be having fun at camp.  Only negatives were long lines/waits for activities (4 hour line for mountain biking) and his buddy broke his wrist mountain biking...

I wish I would hear more from him.  I have seen a few pictures of him in line for breakfast and dinner....  So I know he is at least eating 🙂

On July 25, 2019 at 10:00 AM, ianwilkins said:

... I saw a picture showing how big the place is, one of the three Surrey Unit's site in the photo, and the other unit by some distant tower near the horizon in the photo, and the other apparently an hour's walk in the other direction. Crikey!

We get that a lot! The place is vast. But, the black rasberries are in, and it's worth hiking some distance to the sweeter ones.

@Sentinel947's scout who works as an EMT at one of the basecamps said that they are out of crutches.

But "jamboree" is no joke! The sounds of songs and games and laughter and swapping tales all night are continuous.

For my part I calmly go about my day letting everyone know that the best coffee on SBR is at my site.

I also mortifying Brits, one site an evening, by demonstrating how to make sun tea in a clear bottle. I get rave reviews:

• "Is that water cold?"
  • "No milk?"
  • "God. No! Please make it stop!"
  • "That wouldn't be mint tea. That's tea and mint!"
Edited by qwazse
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Visiting WSJ was a great time! It was the first time I've visited the Summit, and I was able to forget about the debt and it being a financial albatross for a few hours. As a visitor to WSJ it's hard to meet any of the foreign scouts/scouters because they all have activities and such to do. Still the international exhibits were really cool. I had some Francesinha from the Portuguese food tent. It was fattening and so tasty. Met a few scouts and scouters from my council, a few on purpose and a few on accident! Met with @qwazse which as he told his scouts: "I'm off to go meet some stranger from the internet!" 

Saw the back of Rex Tillerson's head during a dedication ceremony for the Tillerson Leadership center, but Trading Post shopping was more interesting to me than watching the whole ceremony. 

20190727_125140.jpg

Edited by Sentinel947
  • Like 3
On 7/28/2019 at 8:25 AM, Sentinel947 said:

As a visitor to WSJ it's hard to meet any of the foreign scouts/scouters because they all have activities and such to do. 

20190727_125140.jpg

I couldn't figure out how to quote without the picture 🤣

Anyway, we had quite the opposite experience as day visitors. My kids tried to keep a list of all of the international scouts they chatted with, but gave up. Way to many to count. It could be because they were obsessed with trading and would approach so many scouts. They (Cubs & Scouts BSA) were thrilled to get hugs from some Italian scouts who were giving out 'free hugs' 😀. Here are my 2 girl cubs with a lovely group of scouts from Namibia whom we spent about 30 min with twice.

IMAG9867.jpg

• Like 1