1 hour ago, RememberSchiff said:

Note the cannabis tent was sarcasm. RS

Thanks.  In today's crazy world, it can be hard to discern reality from sarcasm.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if, in a few short years, BSA has its own brand of cannabis products, grown at scout camps and sold door to door by scouts.  Christmas tree sales, however, will be banned since they promote a religious holiday and might be deemed offensive by some scouts.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We get that a lot! The place is vast. But, the black rasberries are in, and it's worth hiking some distance to the sweeter ones. @Sentinel947's scout who works as an EMT at one of the basecamps s

Visiting WSJ was a great time! It was the first time I've visited the Summit, and I was able to forget about the debt and it being a financial albatross for a few hours. As a visitor to WSJ it's hard

One of mine sent me some photos of New York where most of the UK Contingent went for a day or so pre-Jamboree. It looked New Yorkey, and like they were having fun. The bits of the opening ceremon

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

Kind of funny; AIDS prevention is a 90s thing. World wide today, sex is part of the experience of travel. It was so prevalent at the last few Olympics that they ran out of the "AIDS prevention devices". I'm not sure some young people even understand the significance of AIDS. Ironically, a friend (mentor) with 40 years scouting experience quit scouting when their troop started a Venturing crew. He was so tired of dealing with scouts 

So, what is the point of a beer tent. Is that something normal in European scouting? 

Barry

A leaders bar is quite common at major events in the UK. We have a strict no under 18s drinking rule and adults who have been drinking are not meant to deal with the scouts directly and we have to maintain minimum adult to scout ratios with adults who have not been drinking, but yes a leaders bar is a thing. Gilwell Park actually has a bar in the main building and the pub quiz on the Saturday night at Winter Camp each January is the stuff of legend!

Not sure about the rest of Europe.

Edited by Cambridgeskip
1 minute ago, Cambridgeskip said:

A leaders bar is quite common at major events in the UK. We have a strict no under 18s drinking rule and adults who have been drinking are now meant to deal with the scouts directly and we have to maintain minimum adult to scout ratios with adults who have not been drinking, but yes a leaders bar is a thing. Gilwell Park actually has a bar in the main building and the pub quiz on the Saturday night at Winter Camp each January is the stuff of legend!

Hmm, sounds like something Philmont might consider for their camps. 

Barry

17 minutes ago, David CO said:

And part of The Who recommendations since 1969.  So what?  Neither group shares our moral values.  Apparently, neither does BSA, anymore.

Forestalling death is a moral value. Period.

And although I am convinced that a restrictive sexual ethic is the first tier in defending the far corners of the earth from the ravages of disease, epidemiology shows that the second tier has spared as many souls.

54 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

So, what is the point of a beer tent. Is that something normal in European scouting? 

Are we Europeans being painted as degenerates again? ;)

I'd have thought the beer tent that only served Heineken would be bad enough, but zero alcohol Heineken? [shudders]

48 minutes ago, Cambridgeskip said:

A leaders bar is quite common at major events in the UK. We have a strict no under 18s drinking rule and adults who have been drinking are not meant to deal with the scouts directly and we have to maintain minimum adult to scout ratios with adults who have not been drinking, but yes a leaders bar is a thing. Gilwell Park actually has a bar in the main building and the pub quiz on the Saturday night at Winter Camp each January is the stuff of legend!

My only experience is at the Spanish National Jamboree which was a dry event with no bar on the Jamboree site. Mind you, the sometimes febrile atmosphere of the 00:30 leaders meetings were feisty enough, let alone adding booze into the mix, it would have been carnage!

10 minutes ago, ianwilkins said:

Are we Europeans being painted as degenerates again? ;)

Well, hmm. I find my moral soul being cornered. I was actually thinking more the appearance of naivety of Americans.

It seems I forgot my parachute. 

15 minutes ago, ianwilkins said:

I'd have thought the beer tent that only served Heineken would be bad enough, but zero alcohol Heineken? [shudders]

Yes, I understand. But, It could have been Budweiser.

Barry

• Like 1

My son told me he tried the non-alcoholic beer at Jambo.  His reaction, he didn't like it.

In my religion (Jewish), you get wine at an early age that is pretty horrible.  Didn't seem to affect me and my family, very few of us drink at all really.

regarding condoms available, I won't bury my head in the sand that it doesn't happen.  It shouldn't but it does and I would rather them be protected.  We are a co-ed unit and dating is against our by-laws and we strictly enforce no 1:1 interactions.  But there is no way that I could stop something from happening behind my back, thankfully I haven't had that happen.

17 hours ago, Eagledad said:

Well, hmm. I find my moral soul being cornered. I was actually thinking more the appearance of naivety of Americans

I'd second that.  It's very common in my area for Scouters to grab a beer after a meeting.  Many great scouting ideas have been launched over a pint.

On 8/7/2019 at 4:21 PM, Eagledad said:

Well, hmm. I find my moral soul being cornered. I was actually thinking more the appearance of naivety of Americans.

It seems I forgot my parachute. 

Am I lost in translation? I think I'm understanding that you're saying that you aren't all parsimonious tee-totallers and prohibitionists? It's ok, I've watched Cheers, The Simpsons, and Family Guy. America is just like all of those shows right? I know some of you must like a drink.

The parachute reference though...whoosh, straight over my head that one!

I've stepped back...Run free moral soul!

6 minutes ago, ianwilkins said:

Am I lost in translation? I think I'm understanding that you're saying that you aren't all parsimonious tee-totallers and prohibitionists? It's ok, I've watched Cheers, The Simpsons, and Family Guy. America is just like all of those shows right? I know some of you must like a drink.

The parachute reference though...whoosh, straight over my head that one!

I've stepped back...Run free moral soul!

I can't seem to find a response where I don't come out looking like a hypocrite. 

Barry

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Eagledad said:

I can't seem to find a response where I don't come out looking like a hypocrite. 

Barry

Not hypocritical at all.  I don't drink.  But that doesn't really matter.  One doesn't need to be a "teetotaler" to hold to the policy against alcohol use at scouting activities.

That BSA has the policy doesn't mean the policy self justifies.

As a guess, the reason for the total ban on alcohol at BSA events comes from the influence that some religions had historically on the development of BSA.  The ban probably came about more from a strong belief among those religions, like Methodists, Baptists, and Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, that alcohol was per se evil and shouldn't be consumed at all, with scouting simply being a subset of that "all", rather than any reasoning specific to scouting that alcohol and scouts shouldn't mix.

My own religion, Catholicism,  doesn't ascribe per se evil to alcohol and outside of the BSA prohibition there isn't any reason that controlled, moderate consumption would be strictly prohibited at a Catholic scouting event.

It might come as a real shock to our cousins across the pond to know that the prohibition against alcohol at scouting events is usually read to apply to adult only events where no scouts are present.  For instance, there is a prohibition against alcohol at Woodbadge.

Edited by T2Eagle