39 minutes ago, karunamom3 said:

I couldn't figure out how to quote without the picture 🤣

Anyway, we had quite the opposite experience as day visitors. My kids tried to keep a list of all of the international scouts they chatted with, but gave up. Way to many to count. It could be because they were obsessed with trading and would approach so many scouts. They (Cubs & Scouts BSA) were thrilled to get hugs from some Italian scouts who were giving out 'free hugs' 😀. Here are my 2 girl cubs with a lovely group of scouts from Namibia whom we spent about 30 min with twice.

Difference is I'm a single man in my 20's without kids. If I strike up conversations with random youth that's kinda weird. 

• Haha 1
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We get that a lot! The place is vast. But, the black rasberries are in, and it's worth hiking some distance to the sweeter ones. @Sentinel947's scout who works as an EMT at one of the basecamps s

Visiting WSJ was a great time! It was the first time I've visited the Summit, and I was able to forget about the debt and it being a financial albatross for a few hours. As a visitor to WSJ it's hard

One of mine sent me some photos of New York where most of the UK Contingent went for a day or so pre-Jamboree. It looked New Yorkey, and like they were having fun. The bits of the opening ceremon

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

Difference is I'm a single man in my 20's without kids. If I strike up conversations with random youth that's kinda weird. 

Oh yes! Very different situation. My 6yr old had scouts approach her and give her things because she is so little. The older boys we were with called her our patch magnet. Lol

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, karunamom3 said:

Oh yes! Very different situation. My 6yr old had scouts approach her and give her things because she is so little. The older boys we were with called her our patch magnet. Lol

Many scouts were aware of the Scouts BSA rollout. USA girls at Jamboree were a big deal to them.

...other scouts will remember their first, and for some of them, only opportunity to shoot firearms at the Summit’s shooting sports complex -- the second largest in the U.S.

Summit Director of Shooting Sports Dick Heft said he spoke with many scouts who had never seen or held a firearm and likely would never again as it’s illegal in their countries. He even got an email from the government of Belgium indicating that their scouts should not be allowed to handle firearms. Heft responded matter-of-factly that his staff would not screen scouts.

“That’s not our job,” Heft said. “That’s a political issue, and this is not a political venue. We’re here to safely provide a fun activity. And that’s what we’re doing.”

In a single day, Heft saw more than 12,000 scouts go through the shooting sports, discharging up to 70,000 rounds of ammunition.      (  :confused: 5 to 6 rounds each? -RS )

https://www.wvpublic.org/post/wva-hosts-tens-thousands-scouts-around-world#stream/0

@Oldscout448   @ShootingSports

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Summit Director of Shooting Sports Dick Heft said he spoke with many scouts who had never seen or held a firearm and likely would never again as it’s illegal in their countries. He even got an email from the government of Belgium indicating that their scouts should not be allowed to handle firearms. Heft responded matter-of-factly that his staff would not screen scouts.

Craziness. In Belgium some rifles and shotguns are legal. Likely the ones Scouts are shooting:.22's, pump shotguns, cowboy action style guns, are likely legal in Belgium anyways.  

I talked to scouts from several nations bearing their countries anxt about access to firearms. On the other hand most scouts were happy to learn how to safely use them for the first time.

At campsites, our scouts had many fruitful discussions about them.

20 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

He even got an email from the government of Belgium indicating that their scouts should not be allowed to handle firearms. 

Would they have honored a request to not distribute birth control devices to our scouts.  I doubt it.  

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, David CO said:

Would they have honored a request to not distribute birth control devices to our scouts.  I doubt it.  

Likely true. As I recall, organizers were complying with WOSM Jamboree requirements and local laws. I do not know the WOSM requirements, if any, regarding shooting sports.

My guess, shooting sports will be limited to archery at the next Jamboree in South Korea. Archery is HUGE in South Korea which has developed some of the world's top archers.

Could be wrong. My $0.02,

2 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Likely true. As I recall, organizers were complying with WOSM Jamboree requirements and local laws. I do not know the WOSM requirements, if any, regarding shooting sports.

My guess, shooting sports will be limited to archery at the next Jamboree in South Korea. Archery is HUGE in South Korea which has developed some of the world's top archers.

Could be wrong. My $0.02,

You could be correct.

My son's favorite activity was the bmx biking tracks.  He said they were scary and awesome.   

On 8/2/2019 at 3:25 PM, qwazse said:

Many scouts were aware of the Scouts BSA rollout. USA girls at Jamboree were a big deal to them.

Yes. My 2 cub daughters had scouts & leaders thank them for joining scouting. Many foreign female scouts went out of their way to talk to them & trade with them.

On August 3, 2019 at 6:34 PM, David CO said:

On August 4, 2019 at 9:59 AM, RememberSchiff said:

Likely true. As I recall, organizers were complying with WOSM Jamboree requirements and local laws.

We've discussed this before. Open access to AIDS prevention devices at medical facilities for youth gatherings have been part WHO recommendations since 1990. That the most effective HIV defense also curbs pregnancy is incidental.

If it's any consolation, the beer tent only had non-alcoholic Heinekin.

29 minutes ago, qwazse said:

We've discussed this before. Open access to AIDS prevention devices at medical facilities for youth gatherings have been part WHO recommendations since 1990. That the most effective HIV defense also curbs pregnancy is incidental.

Not much, was that next to the cannabis* tent with CBD only?

Give a mouse a cookie...

My $0.02,

Note the cannabis tent was sarcasm. RS

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, qwazse said:

We've discussed this before. Open access to AIDS prevention devices at medical facilities for youth gatherings have been part WHO recommendations since 1990. 

And part of The Who recommendations since 1969.  So what?  Neither group shares our moral values.  Apparently, neither does BSA, anymore.

Edited by David CO
2 hours ago, qwazse said:

Kind of funny; AIDS prevention is a 90s thing. World wide today, sex is part of the experience of travel. It was so prevalent at the last few Olympics that they ran out of the "AIDS prevention devices". I'm not sure some young people even understand the significance of AIDS. Ironically, a friend (mentor) with 40 years scouting experience quit scouting when their troop started a Venturing crew. He was so tired of dealing with scouts going to each others tents in the middle of the night that he had had enough. 

So, what is the point of a beer tent. Is that something normal in European scouting? 

Barry

Edited by Eagledad