7 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

My son is going and he is freaking out about all the uniform requirements his troop leader is sending out.  I am confident the US contingent is the only one getting the super strict uniform rules.   Tho shalt be wear BSA uniform shorts and socks all times when leaving base camp.  Those two pair of pants/shorts after 14 days are going to be awful.  I convinced him to bring a few pairs of normal shorts and socks into his huge jambo bag.  

What are they telling the foreign contingents?

Also, my son is making handmade trinkets from Texas that he is bringing to trade.  He is excited and nervous.

I think UK are being told uniform for travel, opening and closing ceremony plus off site days. Rest of the time the only uniform needed is their necker.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We get that a lot! The place is vast. But, the black rasberries are in, and it's worth hiking some distance to the sweeter ones. @Sentinel947's scout who works as an EMT at one of the basecamps s

Visiting WSJ was a great time! It was the first time I've visited the Summit, and I was able to forget about the debt and it being a financial albatross for a few hours. As a visitor to WSJ it's hard

One of mine sent me some photos of New York where most of the UK Contingent went for a day or so pre-Jamboree. It looked New Yorkey, and like they were having fun. The bits of the opening ceremon

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

My son is going and he is freaking out about all the uniform requirements his troop leader is sending out.  ...

What are they telling the foreign contingents?

Also, my son is making handmade trinkets from Texas that he is bringing to trade.  He is excited and nervous. 

33 minutes ago, Cambridgeskip said:

I think UK are being told uniform for travel, opening and closing ceremony plus off site days. Rest of the time the only uniform needed is their necker.

I boiled down our Contingent Management Team's thousand-word missive about uniforming to what 'Skip heard from his contingent. SM and I agreed that we want scouts at the bus on time with whatever uni parts they pull together.

File under: not-dying-on-this-hill and try-and-make-me.

1 hour ago, mashmaster said:

I am originally from New Orleans, and one guy for a NSJ made Tabasco hat pins. He hot glued a safety pin the micro bottles with 1 once. VERY POPULAR.

I made woggles, and traded like crazy.

Useful information:

At https://www.2019wsj.org/, the official website for the 12-day event that begins Monday, July 22, and runs through Aug. 2, there are tons of resources for Scouts heading to the Summit Bechtel Reserve in Fayette County.

Scouts can learn that the official mascot is Yona, a massive black bear, the lyrics to the Jamboree song, the code of conduct for Scouts and details about Wi-Fi and electricity, shower houses and toilets, credentials and identification, religious services and chaplains and campsites.

There also is information about food markets, where Scout units will have a choice about what they want to make for breakfast, lunch and dinner, that will be located throughout the Jamboree site at each base camp.

A plethora of other information also is available, including a map of the 14,000-acre complex, the schedule for the Jamboree and a blog.

The World Scout Jamboree also has a Facebook page, where there has been a daily countdown as the event creeps closer.

Source:

https://wchstv.com/news/local/scouting-it-out-wealth-of-information-available-for-world-scout-jamboree-in-wva

On 7/15/2019 at 4:09 PM, mashmaster said:

Tho shalt be wear BSA uniform shorts and socks all times when leaving base camp.  Those two pair of pants/shorts after 14 days are going to be awful.

This was basically "the rule" for our unit at the 2013 NSJ along with a scout t-shirt.  We just got some 5 gallon buckets, lids and plungers so we could do laundry during the week.

32 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Note to self: add 5-gal bucket and plunger to list of stuff my family won't miss for two weeks.

AND SOAP. Don't forget eco friendly soap. And by the way, a little can go a long way. 

Kind of funny, but our scouts used the bucket and plunger a lot because it was just so darn much fun. Wish they felt that way about showers. 

Barry

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

AND SOAP. Don't forget eco friendly soap. And by the way, a little can go a long way. 

Kind of funny, but our scouts used the bucket and plunger a lot because it was just so darn much fun. Wish they felt that way about showers. 

Barry

Our no-my-first-rodeo SM has been reminding each of us leaders to bring a bottle. One is usually in my gear box anyway.

Tonight and tomorrow's exercise will be removing extra gear and making room for the 5 lbs of coffee (ground for stove-top) and the dozen 4-oz cups Daughter got me for my birthday.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Wish they felt that way about showers

Ah, the standard Wednesday summer camp question:  "Have you showered or changed clothes yet this week?"; followed by the Friday night declaration:  "Anyone who expects to get in my car tomorrow MUST shower tonight!"

16 minutes ago, qwazse said:

dozen 4-oz cups Daughter got me for my birthday.

Please tell me you do not plan on losing that many cups while at WSJ! 😂

2 minutes ago, MikeS72 said:

I plan on having that many friends as soon as that aroma of the moka pot covers the grounds! :p

If not, the SM and 2nd ASM aren't coffee drinkers, so the 3rd ASM and I can go six sittings before we have to wash dishes!

27 minutes ago, qwazse said:

the 3rd ASM and I can go six sittings before we have to wash dishes

Six sittings & the two of you may well have enough energy to wash dishes for the entire US contingent!

1 hour ago, MikeS72 said:

Ah, the standard Wednesday summer camp question:  "Have you showered or changed clothes yet this week?"; followed by the Friday night declaration:  "Anyone who expects to get in my car tomorrow MUST shower tonight!"

Yes, we live and learn. One ASM traded for a new car after summer camp because he could not get the smell out.......Coincidentally, we started renting vans the next year.:o

Barry

1 hour ago, Eagledad said:

Yes, we live and learn. One ASM traded for a new car after summer camp because he could not get the smell out.......Coincidentally, we started renting vans the next year.:o

Barry

WOW....

When I was SM, I would require the SPL to ensure all take a shower the night before we left.  It seemed to work better coming from him than me.  

1 minute ago, mashmaster said:

WOW....

When I was SM, I would require the SPL to ensure all take a shower the night before we left.  It seemed to work better coming from him than me.  

We went strait from summer camp to a day of white water rafting. Between changing clothes, getting wet, snacks, and one handicapped scout wetting his pants and not telling anyone until it became obvious, the vehicles didn't fair well for the 8 hour drive home. As I said, we learned.

Not only did we start renting vans, but we also told the scouts that they would be responsible for the cost of cleaning the vehicles at a local car wash. That didn't make an impression until after the first year where they found themselves spending a lot of money and an hour of their time cleaning the vans before dropping them off to waiting parents a few blocks away. They were much more tidy the following years after developing habits of cleaning out trash at every stop and making sure all food and drinks were cleaned up by each scout. Funny how one hour of cleaning when you're dead beat and warn out from camp changes ones habits. 

Barry