News from a local Iowa paper:

Five from Denver graduating class earn Eagle Scout rank
http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/article_51085d5b-392e-58ae-9ad4-b3a2ad6aa46d.html

(Like with many news outlets, even here we sometimes get so caught up in the bad news or even just that stuff that needs improvement or fixing, that we can forget about all that stuff that goes right.)

Those Iowans! They need to come up with their own city names. There are two cities I've lived in with duplicates in Iowa. Waterloo is the other. BTW, my wife is from Iowa and we drive to Dubuque multiple times a year. It's pretty along the Mississippi.

Either way, that's a great story. Every scout needs good friends in a troop,  or OA, in order to stick around. The friendships that started in cubs are great. An adult pointed out to me that a scout has to make friends by the time they're 14 or they won't stick around.

55 minutes ago, MattR said:

Those Iowans! They need to come up with their own city names. There are two cities I've lived in with duplicates in Iowa. Waterloo is the other. BTW, my wife is from Iowa and we drive to Dubuque multiple times a year. It's pretty along the Mississippi.

Either way, that's a great story. Every scout needs good friends in a troop,  or OA, in order to stick around. The friendships that started in cubs are great. An adult pointed out to me that a scout has to make friends by the time they're 14 or they won't stick around.

Ha!, Waterloo (Iowa) is just a few miles down the road from Denver.  And if you think Iowa is bad, you should check out southern Illinois. Frankfort, Cairo, Vienna... plus Illinois butchers the pronunciations. 

Yeah, 40+ years later I still meet up with my Scout buddies several times a year, in spite of us being scattered across the country. And, being a non-linked Pack, I find myself frequently telling parents that despite all the "great", logical reasons to pick one troop over another, sometimes the best reason to pick one is because that's the one where their friends are going.

52 minutes ago, WonderBoy said:

Ha!, Waterloo (Iowa) is just a few miles down the road from Denver.  And if you think Iowa is bad, you should check out southern Illinois. Frankfort, Cairo, Vienna... plus Illinois butchers the pronunciations. 

Yeah, 40+ years later I still meet up with my Scout buddies several times a year, in spite of us being scattered across the country. And, being a non-linked Pack, I find myself frequently telling parents that despite all the "great", logical reasons to pick one troop over another, sometimes the best reason to pick one is because that's the one where their friends are going.

Everybody knows the appropriate pronunciation is KA-row

• Haha 1