McDonough, GA gunfire reported at Cub Scout campout

McDONOUGH —A parent of two Cub Scouts, ages 7 and 10, said a campout for about 125 kids was disrupted by assault weapons fire Thursday evening.

No report was filed, according to Henry County Police, but officers are stepping up patrols in the area.

Calls and emails to the Boy Scouts’ local council have not yet been returned. A person who answered the national Boy Scouts of America number referred the Henry Herald to its email contact page and said it had no media phone number for its public relations department. The Boy Scouts of America have not yet responded to the Herald’s email request for comment.

http://www.henryherald.com/news/gunfire-shatters-mcdonough-cub-scout-campout/article_d5e27787-a3fc-5da9-8df6-96fe36844b77.html

...looking for confirmation...real gun shots...firecrackers..?

Edited by RememberSchiff

Update: the Henry Herald heard from Council

“We are glad all of our youth members, staff and volunteers are safe, and we appreciate the Henry County Police Department for their assistance with this matter,” said Kelvin Williams, Scout executive/CEO, of the Flint River Council, Boy Scouts of America.

It's a little tricky to figure out from the article, but it basically sounds like this woman has issues with events taking place on the church property, which she lives adjacent to. 

So her response, with kids present, is to fire off a bunch of rounds in what seems like a deliberate attempt to scare children. 

Classy. 🙄

17 minutes ago, FireStone said:

It's a little tricky to figure out from the article, but it basically sounds like this woman has issues with events taking place on the church property, which she lives adjacent to. 

So her response, with kids present, is to fire off a bunch of rounds in what seems like a deliberate attempt to scare children. 

Classy. 🙄

Sounds about right.  Just looking the state of Georgia Laws it is not against the law to discharge a firearm on your own property as long as you are not within 50 yards of a road or street,  pointing the firearm at someone, or intoxicated. 

I wonder if some skepticism isn't in order.  The father's story is basically, I didn't see anything because of all the trees, but I heard 80 shots from an AR-15 (because it was consistent firing) and heard a woman's voice that I'd guess was 80 - 100 yards away.  And oh by the way, the church has had problems with this woman before.  

80 rounds would be two or three typical magazines for an AR as I understand them.  Consistent shooting could be multiple people on a range.  Regular old .223 rifles make about the same sound.  Just because he only heard one voice doesn't mean there weren't multiple people.  There's clearly some built-in bias against the neighbor.  

Lot's of assumptions, precious little fact.

While a lot of info is missing, I can see where an neighbor is not happy with living with a camp, and does things to annoy the campers. one local scout camp has been in existence since 1920s, and we have two neighbors complaining about the traffic and noise on weekends. And since they are developing the area, it's going to get worse. We have 'MacMansions" within 1/2 mile of the entrance to the camp, on the Camp Charles Road, and about 2 dozen new homes being built on Boy Scout Road, which ends at the camp entrance.

So if the father didn't see anything how does he know it was an AR that was fired?     Or is the term AR now used to mean any semi-auto?    

Assuming he can tell a 223 ( the most common AR caliber) by the sound,  80 rounds is about $100 worth of Wal-mart grade ammo.    Thats an expensive way to say I dont like you being here

firecrackers are a lot cheaper.

Edited by Oldscout448

Update:

An adult leader with the Tussahaw Cub Scouts Day Camp, called Henry County police after she heard multiple gunshots near Cornerstone Bible Church on Nail Drive, according to the incident report obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 

No one was hurts, but the Cub Scouts were “very frightened.” and about half went home.

Joan Marie Scott, 53, of McDonough, was allegedly the one shooting behind her property, the report said. She told police she recently received her pistol license and was practice shooting, the report said. The officer spotted 9mm and shotgun shell casings on the ground at her property.

The officer measured and said the shell casings were allegedly within 200 yards of another residence, which is in violation of a Henry County ordinance for discharging a firearm, and she was written two citations.

Source:

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/cops-woman-shooting-her-yard-frightens-cub-scouts-camping-out-nearby/TvWRVkOe1neVUvSwFkQP5M/

Edited by RememberSchiff