New and comprehensive Family scouting FAQs issued:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it is time for the BSA to stop "selling" their decision and instead look forward and say, here's how it's going to be, here's what volunteers are supposed to be doing about it, etc.  They are

You know you're in trouble when a FAQ is so long that it needs a table of contents...

I would also say they need to stop wasting energy claiming this is not a coed program.  It reminds me of episode where Jerry Seinfeld continuously corrects everyone who called his bag a “purse” and te

16 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

Maple Syrup, Hockey, and the liberal use of the word "eh"??

We live in the more southern part of the states, so I didn't know that liberals say "eh" differently. But it makes sense I guess.

Barry

34 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

I agree, it will be very much like Canadian Scouts.

Barry

Canadian scouts are like Canadian bacon. Though it uses the same word (in its name) as we do, it is actually an entirely different thing.

7 hours ago, ianwilkins said:

Naa mate, don't you all worry about it. We Jonny Foreigners are all interlopers anyway. Life's too short to worry about whether people are unintentionally insulting, I have enough fun with the intentional insults (not from you lot, as far as I remember).

I enjoy having people from the UK in our forum, where else would I go to find myself part of a group being referred to as "you lot"?  :D

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, David CO said:

Canadian scouts are like Canadian bacon. Though it uses the same word (in its name) as we do, it is actually an entirely different thing.

Agreed, which is why I think the BSA will resemble the present day Canadian Scouts, which is more of an after school family camping program than a scout program.

Of what I could see, European scouting isn't family scouting like the BSA.

Barry

2 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

I enjoy having people from the UK in our forum, where else would I go to find myself part of a group being referred to as "you lot"?  :D

And from us they get all y'all. I once made fun of someone that said y'all and I was corrected: English doesn't contain a second person plural pronoun. However, we can blame those on the other side of the pond, so it's all good :). I did need an explanation of the difference between y'all and all y'all. I don't know of any language that distinguishes between a few and a bunch, so I think they're just messing with us.

1 hour ago, MattR said:

And from us they get all y'all. I once made fun of someone that said y'all and I was corrected: English doesn't contain a second person plural pronoun. However, we can blame those on the other side of the pond, so it's all good :). I did need an explanation of the difference between y'all and all y'all. I don't know of any language that distinguishes between a few and a bunch, so I think they're just messing with us.

Y'all is two or under and All Y'all is 3 or more.  Also All Y'all seems to be more imposing.

On 6/24/2018 at 12:18 PM, Hedgehog said:

Our Troop has been to Camporees (West Point and others) where there were Girl Scouts and Venturers.  NYLT is co-ed due to Venturing.  OA allows female adults to be inducted.  Cub Scout Pinewood Derby in our Troop always had a "non-scout" division (read younger or female siblings).

Rick:

Really?  I guess I have to be specific.  "I also see the co-ed dynamics and understand that there are reasons that co-ed scouting would not work as effectively as a program that focuses on single-gender development between the ages of 11 and 14 due to the cultural, educational and political factors at work in the United States."  Hopefully, you can't twist those into a situation where I'm insulting other forum members.

I'VE HAD IT.  I'VE TRIED TO BE REASONABLE AND STRIKE MIDDLE GROUND AND HAVE A PRODUCTIVE DISCUSSION.  BUT YOU ALL ARE SO FREAKING BOUND TO YOUR OPINIONS THAT YOU TURN EVERYTHING INTO AN ARGUMENT.  THE SCOUT LAW DOES NOT EXIST ON THESE FORUMS - THERE IS NO TRUSTWORTY, FRIENDLY, HELPFUL, COURTEOUS OR KIND TO BE FOUND.  YOU GUYS GO ON HAVING FUN BASHING THE BSA AND BASHING EACH OTHER.  I DON'T HAVE TIME TO DEAL WITH ALL OF YOUR PETTY BEHAVIORS AND COMMENTS.  I'M OUT.

I HAVE A LOT BETTER USE OF MY TIME INCLUDING WORKING WITH MY TROOP,  MY CREW, MY SON AND... YUP... THE FEMALE SCOUTS BSA UNIT OUR CHARTERED ORGANIZATION IS STARTING.  

Wow, I apologize if my comment came across in an unfriendly way. It was not my intent. I was also attempting to address hyperbole in general, not you specifically. I guess I failed in that.

Hedgehog, I've been enjoying your comments on this topic, and I hope you will continue to contribute too this forum.

Edited by Rick_in_CA
  • Upvote 1
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:53 PM, gblotter said:

Expressions like yours only reaffirm that those of us who disagree with the co-ed Scouting decision longer have a home in BSA.

By your statement, I guess you believe that GSUSA (who excludes boys) is an organization composed of sexists and bigots who are on the wrong side of history too, right? Oh yeah - I forgot that your liberal door only swings one way (against boys).

The only one saying you no longer have a home in the BSA is you.  It's your choice - not anyone else's.  

• Upvote 3
19 hours ago, CalicoPenn said:

(from March 9, 2018) "do us a favor - stop talking about quitting - just quit. Do it now - don't wait until 2019." 

19 hours ago, CalicoPenn said:

(from June 25, 2018) "The only one saying you no longer have a home in the BSA is you."

• Haha 1