Katahdin Council (ME) reserves camp week to youth aviation group

Between three weeks of Boy Scout camp and two weeks of Cub Scout Resident Camp, Camp Roosevelt  has reserved the week of  July 22-28, to an outside group,  Maine Aviation Career Education.  Maine ACE  Camp North is an overnight camp for students aged 14-18 says  ACE Camp Director Pete Marucci says the week-long experience gives participants exposure to many facets of aviation.

“We feel that we give our students a well-rounded look at the aviation industry,” Marucci says.  The ACE North Camp includes a visit to many areas of the Bangor International Airport, including air traffic control facilities, airport firefighting facilities, and they hear from the airport manager, Marucci says. Youngsters visit the Army Guard, which “takes them right through all the helicopter operations,” he says, including a flight on a Blackhawk helicopter. In addition, assuming proper security clearance, youngsters board an Air National Guard Maineiacs KC-135 Stratotanker refueling aircraft to observe a high-altitude refueling mission.

“They’re hooking up to another airplane 40 feet away,” Marucci says.

The camp education offered is multi-faceted. Classroom lessons address camp safety, aviation history, theory of flight, basic aerodynamics, introduction to aircraft, and spatial disorientation. Campers also tour local airports, aviation museums, aircraft repair businesses, aerial photography operations, the NASA Challenger Learning Center, and Air and Army National Guard bases.

Maine ACE North campers also ride along on water landings and takeoffs in floatplanes, Marucci says. Volunteer pilots contribute their expertise and equipment for a full day of floatplane flying, topped off with a cookout and conversation among campers and pilots.

Campers enrolled in the Maine ACE North program stay at Camp Roosevelt, a Boy Scout Camp in Eddington. Recreation time is offered each evening.

Maine ACE North camp tuition is $750 for the week.  Registration information is available at http://www.maineacecamp.org.. Other youth aviation proigrams are also offered .

http://kmillard.bangordailynews.com/2018/06/13/home/maine-ace-camps-a-look-at-careers-in-aviation-up-close-and-hands-on/

https://www.katahdinareabsa.org/BoyScoutcamp

Smart move, good way to make some $$$

I know our council's main camp, Camp William Hinds in Raymond rents out the entire week to Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA), and its a good chunk of change compared to a week of Boy Scouts.  Our Boyscout camp runs 5 weeks, and usually only has 1 week at Max capacity. 

If Maine ACE program is accurately described and despite the cost differential, I could see my scouts opting for a ride in a Blackhawk and KC-135 over attending scout summer camp. 

In '69, Philmont was great but I was more excited about the other stops - McConnell AFB, Forbes AFB, USAF Academy, Wright-Patterson AFB. I took more photos at the Air Force Museum  than the whole rest of the trip.

Seeing tornadoes spinning on the Plains from Mt. Baldy summit or  seeing  and hearing night F-105 engine tests at Forbes AFB. Hmm.

Another $0.02,

• Upvote 1

I'd be all over trying to get in on that camp if I were still a kid!  I'm a huge aviation buff.

The EAA (Experimental Aviation Association) has a Lodge up in Wisconsin and they have some sort of youth summer camp program they put on.  they call it Air Academy.  I'm not aware of them doing anything approaching the scale of what they are doing up in Maine, but it still looks way better to me than a typical BSA summer camp experience.  I offered it up to my son (when he gets old enough) a few times but he so far hasn't expressed much interest.  Surprises me really...I can't even imagine having opportunities like these when I was a kid....but I suppose we all have our interests and passions, and one of mine has almost always been aviation....his are different, and that's ok.  I just wish he'd find what it is.  So far it's only to become the world's greatest x-box player I suppose....

Well this year I think he's old enough for the youngest bracket at that EAA camp, but to me it doesn't look like all that much fun. When he gets a bit older they look better in my eyes anyway.

RememberSchiff, are you by chance Barry?

Same for my sons,, aviation is not their thing  but they have found their individual career paths ahead.  I am learning to share their enthusiasm for those paths. 

Scouting is stronger when  it is a means for kids to widely explore their "interests and passions" hands-on .  Sure we have museum trips and air shows,  but imagine  walking around Forbes AFB and asking a pilot, say can I see your plane. "Sure, want to sit in it?" So, I sat in the F-105  and listened how he "shot down" a F-4 in a  "dogfight". No Way! Then he showed me the four speed brakes in the tail. I put on the brakes. The Phantom flew past me and I was on his tail.  Wow did I retell that story over and over when I got back. No Way, you sat in a Thunderchief?  Yes,  Scouts!

No, I'm am not Barry @Eagledad but I have learned from him.

Edited by RememberSchiff

this is a sidebar....

I didn't mean Eagledad.  Your username RememberSchiff made me wonder, since you were pointing out things aviation, if you might be either him or somehow related to Barry Schiff...a rather famous pilot/author.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Scouting is stronger when  it is a means for kids to widely explore their "interests and passions" hands-on .  Sure we have museum trips and air shows,  but imagine  walking around Forbes AFB and asking a pilot, say can I see your plane. "Sure, want to sit in it?" So, I sat in the F-105  and listened how he "shot down" a F-4 in a  "dogfight". No Way! Then he showed me the four speed brakes in the tail. I put on the brakes. The Phantom flew past me and I was on his tail.  Wow did I retell that story over and over when I got back. No Way, you sat in a Thunderchief?  Yes,  Scouts!

No Way, you sat in a Thunderchief? That is such a cool airplane. The only one I’ve seen was at the Air Force Museum. It’s huge for a fighter. 

EAA Camp, How Cool Is That! 

You have struck onto my other passion, all things aviation. I have worked in some part of aviation almost my whole adult life.

My airplane passion started when I was young talking about fighter airplanes at our patrol campfires. I learned more about cars, girls, airplanes and movies at those campfires than other time in my life. Campfires were a great time for patrols brothers bonding together. And I pushed our patrols to have the same experience.

3 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

No, I'm am not Barry @Eagledad but I have learned from him.

Thank you. I’m humbled. I can’t think of what I could teach someone with your experience. 

Barry

• Thanks 1

I agree its brilliant for the camp to raise money by sponsoring this group. I just don't quite understand its purpose. Isn't that what CAP is for? Military planes, EEA ride alongs, etc isn't that the point of Summer Encampment. Is this for STEM kids who can't tolerate the military side of things?