Can I still become an eagle scout?

Hi, everyone!  So I am going to be in the 11th grade next year (I am currently 16), and I am currently a 1st class scout (and extremely close to star scout).  I was wondering if it is still possible for me to become an eagle scout with the amount of time remaining?  Thank you for your responses!

Hi @Jacob9, welcome to the forum.

To answer your question, you need a minimum of 14 months to complete Star, Life, and Eagle (for the position of responsibility requirements). If your age, to the day, plus 14 months is less than 18 years then you have time.

So, when were you born?

• Upvote 1

The previous replies addressed the possibility, but you really need to work with the leadership in your troop.  Look at the requirements for getting through Eagle and make a plan yourself that you take to your troop leadership.  It looks like you'll need to be in a leadership position all the way through Eagle.

I wish you well!

The timeline listed above is correct 4 months to start from first class and then 6 months to life and 6 months to Eagle. If you have the time and put in the effort you certainly can do it. I would suggest getting together with a mentor and let your scoutmaster know what your plan is. It will take a lot of focus and determination but is a great goal.

12 hours ago, Jacob9 said:

Hi, everyone!  So I am going to be in the 11th grade next year (I am currently 16), and I am currently a 1st class scout (and extremely close to star scout).  I was wondering if it is still possible for me to become an eagle scout with the amount of time remaining?  Thank you for your responses!

Theoretically you can do it.  As the others have said, you need a minimum of 12 months after you get Star Scout.  If you're barely 16, it should be easy to do if you just keep on task. If you're almost 17, it may be hard to do. 

If you're serious about this, the first thing I would do is talk to your SM about all of this.  As part of that meeting, you need to get a MB counselor for Camping, Cooking, Physical Fitness, Personal Management and Family Life (if you haven't already either gotten or started these badges). These are the most time intensive Eagle Required badges.

11 hours ago, MattR said:

Hi @Jacob9, welcome to the forum.

To answer your question, you need a minimum of 14 months to complete Star, Life, and Eagle (for the position of responsibility requirements). If your age, to the day, plus 14 months is less than 18 years then you have time.

So, when were you born?

Actually, it's 16 months of PORs  to get Star, Life, Eagle starting at First Class Scout. (4 to get Star, 6 to get Life, and 6 to get Eagle). 

9 minutes ago, perdidochas said:

Theoretically you can do it.  As the others have said, you need a minimum of 12 months after you get Star Scout.  If you're barely 16, it should be easy to do if you just keep on task. If you're almost 17, it may be hard to do. 

If you're serious about this, the first thing I would do is talk to your SM about all of this.  As part of that meeting, you need to get a MB counselor for Camping, Cooking, Physical Fitness, Personal Management and Family Life (if you haven't already either gotten or started these badges). These are the most time intensive Eagle Required badges.

Actually, it's 16 months of PORs  to get Star, Life, Eagle starting at First Class Scout. (4 to get Star, 6 to get Life, and 6 to get Eagle). 

And you need to be able to add small numbers. Thanks for the correction.

I think what this boils down to is that if you complete your Star Board of Review before your 17th birthday, and your Life Board of Review before your "17.5 birthday," then you have met the time requirements.  Of course you also have to complete all the other requirements.

Also be aware that for every day that you are still working on Star, you are creating an ever-shrinking window of time in which you must make Life.  If you have your Star BOR ON your 17th birthday, then there is only one day on which you can have your Life BOR - the date exactly six months after you turn 17.  Not the day before or the day after.  And let's hope your birthday isn't Feb. 29.  And then this also brings up the question (which almost mattered in my son's case) of whether the last day to complete Eagle requirements is the day before your 18th birthday, or the day of your 18th birthday - I have seen both answers given.

I strongly recommend that you not find out.  In other words, you want to get Star ASAP, leaving you some room to meet the time requirements (and all the other requirements!) for Life and Eagle.