Scouts environmental models and camp cooperative agreements?

I posted this in another forum on FB and it has brought some interesting comments.  Thought it might find some more.  

Wonder what the general thoughts might be regarding BSA moving proactively to establish renewable energy in as many scout camps as possible, as well as making them centers for research stations for local universities. I feel that our own camp is in a unique location to allow some good study possibilities since it is in the worst of the drought zone, has its own microclimate, has good sun and sometimes wind, and is near the confluence of major geologic zones. It is also withing four hours of less of many major university campuses. Coordinated sharing agreements might benefit both the camps and various university and even corporate groups that need testing opportunities. Thoughts?

I think it's a great idea. Sets a good example of responsible environmental stewardship and helps strengthen ties to local universities.

My only reservation would be if the partnership began to cause undue impact on the staff or programs of the camp.  In the BSA we're always short on people & money - so as long as this doesn't become a sink hole for these two things - I think it's great.