Lion Guide / Den Leader Recognition?

I have a couple great leaders in my Lion program and as they progress to Tiger Den Leaders with their kids would like to recognize them with a Den Leader Knot.  They completely outpaced the other Den Leaders in preparation, and meet all the criteria, but the form does not recognize Lion Leaders.   I may have missed some guidance on handling Lion Leaders,  but am looking for your thoughts on the best path to recognizing their commitment and performance.

Welcome to the forum @Legion6.

The current version of the form was published in 2016.  Lions was just a pilot at the time.  It does include all the other den leader roles that were available,

I'd just infer that it was due to the newness of the Lion program.  I'd fill out the form and add my own checkbox for "Lion Den Leader" and submit it.

Recognition should not be measured by knots or awards; if they stay with the program for the next few years, they will have plenty of opportunities for that. But please do not feel that they "need" something to wear on their uniforms, especially if they are new leaders. Otherwise it sets a pattern of seeking recognition, which is not something you want to engender in any leader. I think a nice card with notes from other Scouts and leaders, or a gift such as a nice book or framed print, can be just as meaningful. And besides all that, the Den Leader Training Award has not been authorized for Lion leaders at this time, so don't try and bend the rules for these leaders when there will be plenty of opportunities for them in the future if they so desire - but again, think ofthe pattern you are setting for the future, and think of other, lovely options that can carry the same emotional significance. I can guarantee there are many! :)

• Like 1

Thank you for your well though out response.   I will reflect on your points as I work on the other leader recognitions for the year well done and weigh the impact on the pack.  Our year is not complete until the end of summer and there may be further guidance published by then.   Much appreciated.

Legion6 

Always glad to help; I know it can always be tricky to think of just the right way to recognize leadership. I am sure you will find the right balance. And ask parents for input! They may have some excellent ideas you may not have thought of. I had an assistant who needed to leave the pack to focus on other responsibilities, and I wanted to recognize the tremendous service he had rendered to myself and to our program. Well, I had a parent with superb woodburning skills who offered to craft a plaque dedicated to him, stating his name, tenure of service, and a brief message of gratitude, along with an image taken from a drawing of a Scout saluting out of the original handbook. On the back were the names of all the boys he had ever worked with. The final product was absolutely beautiful; it meant the world to him, and it only cost us the price of the wooden plaque (bought at Michael's for about $4). Definitely consider those kind of options for leaders who have gone above and beyond, and whom you want to thank in meaningful ways.